McNeil vs fiberwerx

Fifty

Reaction
Looks like I have 2 choices to stuff bigger tires and wider arms.

Rumors say they are both 4 inch bulge (4 inch froma z71).
I have the ZR2 which has a 1.75 “lip” making the fender bulge 2.25 wider.

The new arms, tire width and wheel sizing are going to push the front out probably 6 inches... hopefully a 3.75 inch stick out won’t be a problem and hopefully the wheels suck and tuck at bump or I’ll be cutting further up.

Not a lot of these kits out. I have only found one fiberwerx and it’s the guy they molded his truck off of. So he may be biased.

Does anyone have any experience with these two companies gear and can recommend one over the other.

Doing all four corners.

racetrash

Reaction
Fiberwerks is a giant poop-show...wait forever, and it prob wont fit first time..

Bert is my name

Reaction
The McNeil's have been doing this poop for a long time. Their stuff holds up really well. A good quality product at a decent price

Fifty

Reaction
I’ve been hearing horror stories about getting this stuff shipped even by LtL.
I’m only on norcal, I’m going to have to find a way/time to get down to San Diego to get these pieces.

Fifty

Reaction
I’m not picking a side here. Let me be clear.

But since cameras are like pennies and people take pics of everything. Do you have any examples of their work that you dislike?

I’m trying to find out if it’s one mans trash is another mans treasure or if it’s just bad no matter what your standards.

Bert is my name

Reaction
I now their fitment isn't great but it holds up well enough. I've used enough fiberglass parts from various manufacturers to realize it's not "bolt on" or " ready for paint". The lay up of the glass and absence of air trapped in the layers is what I'm looking at. All of the fiberglass parts I've used from cowl induction hoods to fenders to t-bucket bodies required hours of work. To get to fit right and look decent with paint. I'm at the point with my 68 f-100 that I'm going to buy another set of steel fenders and cut and section two sets to make one that looks good and holds up. The amount of work will be about the same for my goals. I'm hoping that one day the glass shops will start using urethane instead. Much more accurate as far as fit and finish. Saying all this I still like the McNeil stuff. But I don't use their "conversion" kits.

Fifty

Reaction
That’s one thing I was wondering. The amount of time it takes to mount, fit and paint feiberglasd fenders and bedsides...

Is it cost equal to do metal fenders?

Bert is my name

Reaction
The fenders on my Ford are already rotten in the lower section so I decided to do a trial run. I cut and sectioned the wheel arch. Took an afternoon to do that. I then cut along the top of the fender to allow me to push the fender out to get the desired bulge. Then added a small filler strip. I'm mostly happy with the results. But the fenders have rust holes so I will be repeating the process on a new set of fenders. I did this on a 67 bronco years ago to clear 37s. It took quite a bit of time to retain the factory look. But came out really well. Had to look at it for a while to see the stretch in the wheel well. Hot rodders do this poop all the time. I don't know why it isn't done with off road trucks. If it's not being raced fiber glass kind of sucks. For all the talented metal workers we have in the off road world i dont understand why we dont see this approach more often.

Bert is my name

Reaction
Cost wise i dont know. If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself I would look for a hot rod shop with a reputation for metal shaping in your area and talk to them. I know of a couple guys here in San Diego who are capable of sectioning and reshaping steel fenders and body parts without resorting to gallons of bondo and kitty hair. My changes for my fenders turned out to be easier than I expected.

baja619

Reaction
One of the biggest differences is the FiberwerX Glass lets you use the OE front bumper.

Looks like I have 2 choices to stuff bigger tires and wider arms.

Rumors say they are both 4 inch bulge (4 inch froma z71).
I have the ZR2 which has a 1.75 “lip” making the fender bulge 2.25 wider.

The new arms, tire width and wheel sizing are going to push the front out probably 6 inches... hopefully a 3.75 inch stick out won’t be a problem and hopefully the wheels suck and tuck at bump or I’ll be cutting further up.

Not a lot of these kits out. I have only found one fiberwerx and it’s the guy they molded his truck off of. So he may be biased.

Does anyone have any experience with these two companies gear and can recommend one over the other.

Doing all four corners.

Fifty

Reaction
Is that compatable with the zr2 bumper?

I’m in the middle of a hearing fiasco. So glass might be on hold a minute anyways

baja619

Reaction
It looks like it could be done with some modifications to the aftermarket fender extension.

Fifty

Reaction
At the end of the day, McNeil has a program for install and paint etc.
I just need to take the long drive down, stopping every 2-3 hrs and move the legs.
Leave with them for a couple weeks then head back down and drive it back.

cs_drums

Reaction
I've had bronco parts from both. Fiberwerx is a little better fit finish but both took some massaging to get nice. Fiberwerx is much more professional to deal with in my experience but both screwed up my order the first time and were very quick to fix.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Fifty

Reaction
FYI. I dropped the truck off with McNeil in lemon grove.
I’ll be picking it up on the 20th.

Mike was very nice and waited for me to show up at 5 pm. I was stuck in the rain storm/flood SoCal traffic. He sat around and talked with me for what seemed two hours. I’m a Chatty Cathy so I never shut up.

They are going to put together a front bumper for me while it’s there. And if they have time and it’s not a headache, swap out a pair of deaver leafs I had in the bed.
Not sure if that will happen. If it was an easy swap while the bed is off and they have time, they will. If not... such is life.

Can’t wait to see the new body!!! Two more long weeks...

If anyone is down that way and sees a green Colorado, let me know and send me photos!

Fifty

Reaction
Thank you! I’m very excited.

Fifty

Reaction
Now its time to finish the details on the body work. They were running very behind schedule and couldnt get everything done.
flares front.png