MD5 Shifter

jcarius

RDC Crypto
Ok, so I've got a little problem ....

I talked to (it seems like) everyone (including mendeola) before buying a MD5. I got the drawings, measured the chassis for fitment (and I was off by 1/16" of an inch, and that cause me a whole different set of grief) got the transmission mounted, hooked up the shift linkage and ....

You've got to be kidding me.

Turns out that the standard heim shifter I have wont shift it. The pattern is _backwards_. Would have been nice if somebody, somewhere mentioned that! The mendeola brochure or spec sheet would be a start ...

So a couple phone calls later, it looks like there are exactly 2 options - a Fortin shifter for about $400 without a reverse lockout, of $550 for a pro-am ...

First, I'm having a lot of trouble choking down 400, much less 5 and half for a shifter. I know that these are both really nice pieces, but I just need to be able to shift the darn thing - I'm not in it for beauty points?

... and no reverse lockout? On a mendeola - with the the reverse gear being the Achilles heel?

Anyway - enough of the whining

Anybody have a picture of a heim setup or some other reasonably priced solution to this?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

kajmcbride

RDC Crypto
One thing that makes it tough with an MD5 is the shift rod out of the transaxle is off set to the right from the center line. We had a VW setup with a front shaft that went into a bearing then a short offset shaft that had couple joints connected to the shift rod coming out of the transaxle. The shifting was very sloopy and the reverse lockout did not work. We cut the VW pan tunnel, removed VW ball and socket, shortened the shaft, then welded a plate in the tunnel and installed a Pro Am Shifter. This took out all the slop and provided a bomb proof reverse look out and the the difference was night and day.

If you used a VW type shifter setup (ball in socket) with a good bearing on the shaft near the shifter, a good bearing near the offset shaft, and good joints for the offset shaft you would have a good set up. I don't feel that hiems would be the best bearings for the shaft because the shift shaft not only rotates it moves forward and backward in the bearings. I don't have any pictures or drawings of this idea or the system we set up. Good luck

redmist

RDC Crypto
The issue with reverse lockout isn't that you don't have it on the Fortin or Pro Am shifters. It's that you don't have any way to activate it. That is, you won't have a reverse at all without creating a seperate lever to activate the lockout.
I also have a heim shifter that I've used for an older Fortin. I always found the shift very tight and the hiems didn't require much service. I'll try and post a shot up of mine, however it may also work in reverse for you as mine is for a middy.
The VW lever isn't very sturdy for race. I didn't have much sucess with one when I raced it... a long time ago.

07FJRog

RDC Crypto
The issue with reverse lockout isn't that you don't have it on the Fortin or Pro Am shifters. It's that you don't have any way to activate it. That is, you won't have a reverse at all without creating a seperate lever to activate the lockout.
I also have a heim shifter that I've used for an older Fortin. I always found the shift very tight and the hiems didn't require much service. I'll try and post a shot up of mine, however it may also work in reverse for you as mine is for a middy.
The VW lever isn't very sturdy for race. I didn't have much sucess with one when I raced it... a long time ago.

I would believe that may be true for a sequential (S5) , but the MD5 is H style pattern??

once you use the Pro-Am you would prob not use anything else. I even spent the bucks for one for my sand cars, one is a lil honda 2.4 and the other a rotary turbo. the side adjustments also are a bonus to get it dead on.

jcarius

RDC Crypto
Thanks everyone ... I basically sat down, and looked at the shifter I had .. and modified it to work. It got me through the weekend, but it's not pretty ...

cogbox - I'll shoot you a PM with my fax number. I'd like to see what you've got ...

Again, thanks for the help!

Jim