Mdr cali 200

JAM 1600

Reaction
What a great race, weather could not have been better and the racing was great.In car video will be up later today ! Oh did I say great turn out as well ! ;)

JAM 1600

Reaction
Manring Motorsports 1624 race report. We arrived at pit row Saturday afternoon and took off for a one lap pre-run since I have never raced this race before. Everything was going great until mile marker 41 when our left rear trailing arm decided it no longer wanted to be a part of the car,the tubing failed and parted ways with the car.Panic started to set in as I looked at my watch and it was 5:00 and the race was scheduled to start at 7:00. A quick cell phone call to main pit and help was on the way. We got the prerunner loaded and was back at main by 6:00 and the crew had already tech'd the car so all was good.We were first off the line in our class and everything was going great until about mile marker 38 and all of a sudden the oil light came on and my co- driver says Dad we have an oil light on ! I began to back off the gas to see if it would go out but it did not and then all of a sudden Joe Jeffries gets by me and now I am pissed at myself.At this time I have to pull over to the side and stop the car to see what is going on.I shut the car down and climbed out to take a look. Go to the back of the car and I cannot see anything wrong so I get back into the car and start it up and the light is still on but everything seems to sound ok.I tell my daughter that we are gonna try and make it to somebodys pit so we take off and we are just crusing slowly looking for anyones pit but then all of a sudden the light goes out ! I start to pick up the pace again and the light remains out so I get back to race speed and I radio into our main pit and told them when I come in to throw in an extra quart of oil.The light remained out for the 2nd lap and I passed back the cars that went by me except for Joe Jeffries.Lap three we did a driver change and Paul Keller got in and had 2 clean laps of racing, made up a little time on Jeffries but was not able to overcome the ten minutes we lost while being down.Finished 2nd place and was very pleased to get a finish.;):) Manring Motorsports will return to the California series again and I hope the California Series racers decide to come on down to Plastercity and join us for a race or two !

Fourstroker

Reaction
Kevin, it was nice to finally meet you! Wish we could have talked some more, but I felt like I was getting pulled in 100 different directions...lol

Geoff, are you dissapointed in your 2nd place finish? I know you really wanted that 4th place...lol :p

We ran the good 'ole 22RE consistant all night, finished 9th in 1450 and 3rd leaf sprung truck. I will post a full race report soon...

-A.J.

No sweat AJ. It was good talkin to you guys after the race.

Yes, a little disappointing. Ran to fast and placed to high. What can you do? Haha.
Had a great time with great people out there.
Bent my front bumper on a class1 after I woke him up and tried to run from me but I had a faster pace going. Sorry for interrupting you sleeping.

Congrats on the 2nd Geoff. You were definitely on it sat night.

tmathews

Reaction
Manring Motorsports 1624 race report. We arrived at pit row Saturday afternoon and took off for a one lap pre-run since I have never raced this race before. Everything was going great until mile marker 41 when our left rear trailing arm decided it no longer wanted to be a part of the car,the tubing failed and parted ways with the car.Panic started to set in as I looked at my watch and it was 5:00 and the race was scheduled to start at 7:00. A quick cell phone call to main pit and help was on the way. We got the prerunner loaded and was back at main by 6:00 and the crew had already tech'd the car so all was good.We were first off the line in our class and everything was going great until about mile marker 38 and all of a sudden the oil light came on and my co- driver says Dad we have an oil light on ! I began to back off the gas to see if it would go out but it did not and then all of a sudden Joe Jeffries gets by me and now I am pissed at myself.At this time I have to pull over to the side and stop the car to see what is going on.I shut the car down and climbed out to take a look. Go to the back of the car and I cannot see anything wrong so I get back into the car and start it up and the light is still on but everything seems to sound ok.I tell my daughter that we are gonna try and make it to somebodys pit so we take off and we are just crusing slowly looking for anyones pit but then all of a sudden the light goes out ! I start to pick up the pace again and the light remains out so I get back to race speed and I radio into our main pit and told them when I come in to throw in an extra quart of oil.The light remained out for the 2nd lap and I passed back the cars that went by me except for Joe Jeffries.Lap three we did a driver change and Paul Keller got in and had 2 clean laps of racing, made up a little time on Jeffries but was not able to overcome the ten minutes we lost while being down.Finished 2nd place and was very pleased to get a finish.;):) Manring Motorsports will return to the California series again and I hope the California Series racers decide to come on down to Plastercity and join us for a race or two !

Congrats on the 2nd Place Finish !!

How many started?

Tundranation

Reaction

Good job on the 2nd place finish ! :D Way to represent ! :D

Giant Geoff

Reaction
No sweat AJ. It was good talkin to you guys after the race.

Congrats on the 2nd Geoff. You were definitely on it sat night.

Thanks, you and Tom are always down to help, very cool.
Did you flat a tire helping the boys?

Fourstroker

Reaction
Thanks, you and Tom are always down to help, very cool.
Did you flat a tire helping the boys?

I flatted twice. Once getting Craig back and again trying to get Trevor a tire. The second is the shredded one you saw on my car sat night. Dirt and rocks everywhere coming back down Bessemer Mine Road.

Heres the aftermath of the tire

Attachments

• PIC_0031.jpg
    PIC_0031.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 91
  • PIC_0032.jpg
    PIC_0032.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 106
  • PIC_0033.jpg
    PIC_0033.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 90
  • PIC_0034.jpg
    PIC_0034.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 95

Prerunnit

Reaction
Yes, a little disappointing. Ran to fast and placed to high. What can you do? Haha.
Had a great time with great people out there.
Bent my front bumper on a class1 after I woke him up and tried to run from me but I had a faster pace going. Sorry for interrupting you sleeping.

Still cant get over the weekend. Thank you Geoff for a great first race for me. What a ride. Wish I had my in car camera in you truck!

Bro-Dozer Motorsports

Reaction

heyy congrats guys pitting with you guys was fun hit us up before the october race.

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Still cant get over the weekend. Thank you Geoff for a great first race for me. What a ride. Wish I had my in car camera in you truck!

I gave you one hell of a ride. You’re a great passenger; you were on point with all my need in the truck. Thank you.

Post Greg's boulder bash on here?

Reaction
Geoff congrats on the 2nd place finish you ran some very consistent laps. I ended up finishing 15th with hardly any brakes we looked into the possibility of the bent rotor like you said but discovered it was actually the driver side wheel bearing loose and about 3 threads left on the snout before the nut came off lol wow very lucky I guess.

FCORR

Reaction
Here is our race report:

TSU Motorsports #1495, 2009 MDR California 200 Night Race Report
August 15th 2009 Lucerne Valley, CA

The MDR Night Race is the “Superbowl” of 1450 racing. Traditionally there have always been a large number of entries in the 1400 and 1450 classes, as well as huge crowds of spectators, mainly surrounding the infamous Rockpile area. This year’s race was no exception with 48 entries in 1450 and thousands of people lined up at the Rockpile jump. Our goal for the race was a top 10 finish as we needed to maintain our 1450-ORG points lead, survival of this race would be crucial to our Championship hunt.

Prerunning and prep for this race went very smooth, instead of getting into much detail, here are a few videos:

August 1st Prerun:
http://www.vimeo.com/5904351

Prep at DMZ Fab and Race Prep in Norco:
http://www.vimeo.com/6077626

As for the race itself, we drew the first starting position and knew every other 1450 truck was behind us and would be coming! When the green flag dropped we put the pedal to the floor and didn’t lift for the first 3 miles as we approached the Rockpile. We rounded the corner and caught our first glimpse of the several thousand people that lined the course; we could hear the crowd cheer over the noise of the engine, radio, and Parker Pumper. We ran a good hard pace for the first 10 miles, as we approached Pit A we noticed Brad Hemphill coming up on our right side; I kept the pedal to the floor and tried as hard as I could to beat him to the soft, silty corner. As we approached the corner he leaned into his supercharged V-6 and dove in front us creating a dust cloud that left us with no visibility, I kept pushing through the dust in fear that another vehicle would plow into the rear of our truck without being able to see. When we regained our bearings and realized how far off the course we were I was worried that we actually drove around check point 1, luckily MDR had moved the check point down course in comparison to years passed. We jumped back on the course and through the check point without major incident, 2 miles later Brad was on the side of the course with a blown up rearend. One mile after that, Steve Herrera, who was second in points coming into the race, motored by like he was on a mission, and he was. The rest of the first lap flew by with zero issues, the truck felt and handled great. We made a quick pit stop to top off on fuel and check the truck over, everything looked good and we sped off into the night. Only a few turns later, running in a section that I have ran hundreds of times, we hit the lip of a wash hard and kicked the rear of the truck several feet in the air, all we saw was dirt as we flew, finally the truck landed again but hit another lip launched the truck into the air again, luckily level this time and we were able to pull out of it, we finished the lap in one piece. Lap 2, was very similar to the first lap, the truck felt great, no problems, we had less dust and less traffic, the second lap was easier than the first. We flew by our pits honking and radioing in that the truck still felt great. We started the 3rd and final lap feeling good about ourselves, just 50 more miles to go! We flew over the Rockpile one last time, the large crowd still there cheering, my codriver Brad and I began to have casual conversation as we raced on. At one point we talked about one of our teammates who was unable to make the race because he was sick, we realized at the end of the conversation we had talked about his sickness for over 3 miles! The rest of the lap continued as smooth as the first 2, there was still no sign of Herrera as he was most likely still flying around the course. With 8 miles to go we hit a flat down hill section and had the truck pinned, we nearly reached 76 miles an hour on the GPS when we started losing speed downhill, I asked Brad, “What is that about?” He laughed and said, “It must be GPS error,” both of us knowing that the 75 horsepower engine wouldn’t push the truck any faster. We flew by our pits one more time, honking and waving and finished the lap with no issues, sliding sideways into the finish line with checkered flags waving. TSU Motorsports had completed another problem free race!

Solid prep and prerunning really paid off this time, we met our goal of a top 10 finish by finishing 9th out of 38 starters overall in 1450. Of the 9 1450-ORG members we finished 2nd to Steve Herrera. Not only did Steve win 1450 for the ORG, but also won 1450 in MDR. Steve had accomplished his mission making the points battle a tight one! He is only 10 points back through 4 races and if you factor in the 1 throwout race he is only a single point behind us! It all comes down to Glen Helen in December, where winner takes all!

TSU Motorsports receives a huge amount of support in order to keep the race efforts alive, we wouldn’t be out there racing if it weren’t for these companies and individuals, thank you to:

DMZ Fab and Race Prep, for building and prepping one of the most reliable vehicles racing in the desert today. If it weren’t for Tim and the rest of the crew at DMZ we never would have racked up all the solid finishes that we have to date.

A huge thanks also goes out to SUD Productions, Desertfreedom.com, Copasetic Designs, Offset Photography, The Axe Shock Tuning, Lucas Oil, Trailglow Lights, Shells Shapes and Steel, RPC Commercial Inc., and Vista Paint.

Lastly thanks to everyone that helped us on the track, in the pits, or in the garage. Tim Duncan, Brad Lindseth, Dave Plueger, Adam Carter, Kristina Steavens, Pat Kapko, Joe for the help in the pits all weekend, Chaz and Chad for taking Brad and I prerunning, the entire 1446 team for running incredible radio relays for us (Ryan, Ryan, Landon and crew, thank you again!), Sean @ Norco Tires, my parents John and Michele, MDR Racing and all the contingency companies that support the racers, and finally all the friends, family, and racing fans who have supported me from the beginning. Thank you all!

-A.J. Steeber #1495

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Geoff congrats on the 2nd place finish you ran some very consistent laps. I ended up finishing 15th with hardly any brakes we looked into the possibility of the bent rotor like you said but discovered it was actually the driver side wheel bearing loose and about 3 threads left on the snout before the nut came off lol wow very lucky I guess.

Me and John ran very hard in the rough and technical stuff because we don’t have much horse power and we can make up time there, but good thing we know suspension very well here. Haha

Great hanging out with you and your boys and I’m so glad you did not loss your wheel, we know the result of that one?

Steve Herrera deceived first place hands down, he started way behind me and past me on the fist lap and the only way I could get him is if he had a problem or at least 2 or more flats. Steve got off course by accident and manned up at the finish to me about it and he gave the option to protest him and take first place but I turned it down because he was better then me that night. We have a lot of respect for each other and I never what to win that way.

We are a sportsmen class that still applies sportsmanship. None of us cry about how we did or did not do, we just enjoy telling are stories around the camp fire afterwards, its all for fun and that’s what keeps us all friends.

DJ Jeffrey

Reaction

Yeah the race had a good turn out for sure! We had a good time, we always had to keep an eye on you guys, you had a good race goin. We had a good clean race, no problems at all. We hope to see you guys at the next race :D. The Jeffrey Bros Racing team held the point lead and is hoping to hold it off for the rest of the year. Cya guys at the next race. Good Luck.

JAM 1600

Reaction
Yeah the race had a good turn out for sure! We had a good time, we always had to keep an eye on you guys, you had a good race goin. We had a good clean race, no problems at all. We hope to see you guys at the next race :D. The Jeffrey Bros Racing team held the point lead and is hoping to hold it off for the rest of the year. Cya guys at the next race. Good Luck.

I will definately be back to try again,Hope to see you guys down in my back yard sometime soon ! Home field does have it's advantages ;) You guys had a great race and you were fast all night ! It was a pleasure racing against you Cali guys and gals and I must say- what a great atmosphere in post tech !! Lets do it again soon ! :D