MDR class 1400 and 1450

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkr

Reaction
What are the basic rules of these classes? Do they need to be "street legal"? Or just have all the safety equipment?

Thanks for your help!

SpeedRacer

Reaction
The vehicle must have a current DMV registration and be CA smog legal. This have been discussed on previous threads.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
to be race legal...they have to have fuel cell....therefore none of them are smog legal

tkr

Reaction
"to be race legal...they have to have fuel cell....therefore none of them are smog legal"

that's exactly my question. It's obvious they don't have to be "street legal". So where do they draw the line? It would be just as easy for someone to get a valid registration for a full tube frame trophy truck as it would be for a stock Ranger with a fuel cell, 5 point harnesses, etc. Does anyone know what they look for in tech? Catalytic convertors? Working turn signals? Or do I just need to call Art?

frankh

Reaction
Kritter hit the biggest problem. The only way to get it smogged is to "well you know". so it is just like class 1300. If I wanted to race my 1 car in 1300 I could. So enter something that has all of the safety stuff and have fun.

I have talked to most of the 1450 and nobody has had a problem. Why do they need to draw a line. there is no payback. Everyone is just out there to have fun. What problem are you tiring to fix ?

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
The idea behind 14xx is to introduce trucks that otherwise are just bystanders to racing. Rollcage, Fuelcell and "streetable" is more what it comes down to.

tkr

Reaction
Frank,
I'm not trying to "fix" anything or start any controversy. I have no problem the rules. I was only asking because we are building a prerunner and were wondering if it when we were done it would be legal in those classes. I had heard it called a "street legal" class, and the truck will be pretty far from letter of the law street legal. That's all.

frankh

Reaction
Then race it and have fun. we see you out there.

fuel cell w/ over flow routed right, amber, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, 5 point seat belts in date and secondary door latch. That is the stuff that I can think of off the top of my head.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
People with a prerunner built to the likes of a TT probably are not going to be running 1450. The high dollar trucks that do run usually dont do so well anyways...look at Dan...leaf springs and he rocks out. The class is awesome because big dollars spent doesnt seem to be who wins unlike most other classes.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
You also need to start the race with a windshield. Right Tyson

tkr

Reaction
Thanks you for the replies. The safety stuff I've got covered. Its the stock stuff I'm concerned about...such the windshield that was mentioned. How about lights? Any need for stock headlights? tail lights? turn signals?

SpeedRacer

Reaction
Let's pin this down.

MDR safety requirements - required.
Current DMV registration - not required
CA smog legal - not required
Green sticker - not required
Muffler or spark arrestor - not required
Front windshield (or any glass) - not required
Forced induction - acceptable
Lights - stop and amber only

Who is our class representative? I think we should get this in writing from MDR so there will not be any confusion at post race tech.

frankh

Reaction
yes you need tail and stop. On Carolyn's truck we were having problem with the light on the fenders so I moved them up onto to the tubing and they have had no problem with them. It has the headlight but not every checked. The left front turn has be broken for over a year now. Yes on the windshield but I remember Dan getting Plexiglas ok'ed once but I don't think it worked out.

frankh

Reaction
There is no post tech inspection. You go into tech for contingency only. Same for class 1, tt ,1400,1300 and I'm sure some other classes.

Like I said there is no payback. everyone is out there to be able to go around the course and have fun. If people start wanting the rules down to every nut and bolt then MDR will have to set rules that are more defined. The only thing that will come from this is less trucks running.

If you all want to get together to discusses it let me know. I will rent a hall someplace and we can all get together with MDR and talk about it.

Tyson

Reaction
Like Frank said you do need tail lights, stop lights amber and YOU DO NEED TO START with a windshield - Art said that a plexi glass windshiled was ok and I was only going to have it dzus tabbed on. dated 5 points, fire extingusher, first aid kit, front and rear bumpers and some other things.

On the window nets I dont think velcro is ok, the point of window nets are so that IF you roll your hands stay inside I would think that velcro wouldn't be strong enough to hold my arms back with all that force (I rolled my truck I remember how bruised my arms were from hitting them together as I was holding the steering wheel so tight as to not throw an arm out the window)

RRose

Reaction
no one has mentioned a horn yet.....

Status
Not open for further replies.