MDR Class 600

PLS

Reaction
In looking at the entry list for the next MDR race, I saw four cars entered in class 600. I know two of the drivers, and they are 5-1600 racers. What's up with the new class? Did they split up the 5-1600 class? Haven't made a MDR race this year, and this is the first time I saw this
Pete S.-BOYD RACING

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
Yes, Those with iicro-stubs (550-559) and those without (600-6??).

This is according to Art Savedra as posted on Go-desert.com 05/10/03

Reese

martininsocal

Reaction
WHY??? WHy???Why???why???? Brain Sturgeons, we're dealing with Brain Sturgeons...

martininsocal

Reaction
Hey- along those lines...Why can't the 5-1600's run Disk's on the rear too????

SuperDave

Reaction
I heard someone say that someone else got 3 or 4 more inches of travel after installing microstubs. That's a big advantage if you're talking about a 5-16 car. Kind of makes it unfair to the other guys with stock stubs.

WFODAN

Reaction
Before you get upset Martin , the new class was created by the racers that actually race 5-1600 . Patricia just went along with what they wanted . They felt the micro stubs were an unfair advantage , and it was a grey area of the rule book so the new class was created so everyone would continue to race .

I think that is one of the best things about the class I race . We really have no rules . So long as you have the safety stuff , it is truely unlimited . The best part is that noone complains about a competitors car , or an unfair advantage . We just race !!

Dan Vance

martininsocal

Reaction
First- I am not complaining about micro stubs- I did when they were proposed, it passed, so it is a done deal. I am complaining about splitting the class. I am putting together a 5-1600 in the garage(stub axle) and don't care if someone has micros or not. Contrary to popular opinion, the gain in travel is about 3/4" in an open wheel 1600 car. It doesn't imptove a 5-1600 much because the wheel wells limit the amount of up travel you have. When cars went to 930's, many went to a 31" tire to be able to use the additional wheel travel...trade rollout for travel...loss/gain. I just don't understand why they would split a class. Even if microstubs weren't allowed, people have always been allowed to go with the Bus stub set-up and it does virtually the same thing. In a 5-1600, it increases strength, thats all, a shorter stub is less prone to bending. We don't need more classes. Patricia should understand this and not cater to every person who wants to build something and be in their own class. The 1600 class didn't split when microstubs were allowed and they didn't split when disks were permitted, why split 5-1600?

WFODAN

Reaction
What are you missing ???? Both sides of the split agreed it was a good idea , and like I said , there were people saying they wouldn't race anymore if the split didn't happen . if both sides agree then why should we care ?? It's not my class and you don't race , so what's the big deal ?

Dan Vance

PLS

Reaction
We don't run enough lately to have been involved in this decision, but I probably would have voted to keep it one class. I would rather run against more cars, even if they may have a small advantage. Dan is right though. As long as the regulars in the series want it, I can't blame Patricia for making the change. We will see over time what effect it has on the numbers running in each class. One more question. If you aren't running micro stubs, can you choose which group you race with? Run with whichever class has more entries for the potential payback? I don't think the guys with the micros would care, especially if they have the advantage.
Pete S.- BOYD RACING

SuperDave

Reaction
I think you can do that. The only thing that matters is that your race car meets the minimum requirements for the class as stated in the rule book.

Looking at the 5-1600 results from the last MDR race, I wonder if the cars with the 38-40 mph average where the ones running microstubs and the cars with the 32-34 mph average were running conventional stubs.

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
The crazy thing is i never heard about 5-16 going micro stubs tell this last month.Last year they talked about 1600 doing it.Thats cool .Thats a money class.Then the rule book came out .Then went back so know its back out. Know they are finding out the rules changed.This class has stayed the same with little changes.Thats what makes this class a drivers class.So know they will kill another class with money.Just my 11 cents worth.Thanks Dennis,11 Brothers racing