MDR - Hotline

desertracer

Reaction
The weekend started crazy for us getting our motor at 3pm friday afternoon. We ran around a bit before the race to break it in then we took off. Everything was going fine until the second lap at mile 5 something inside the fortin let go and made its way out through the case. Got about a 6''x1/8'' crack in the front of the case. It was fun up until then though. Anybody know which 1 car was involved in the accident with the 11 car?

MDR Class 1

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Some notes-
All in all this was a great race. I have a lot of video romaing around rdx1 and rdx2 and pit A. I was able to get a lot of video of 3 to 6 cars and trucks all racing very close at the same time. The racing was very close and clean. While at pit A I took alot of video and just about every racer waved in some way while going through some rough terrain.
While chasing for Camburg we found Dan Vance pulled over with the blown up rear, we pulled up and talked to him for a bit when a Jeepspeed pulled in and Dan ran over to it and he pulled off their hood and was checking them for radiator leaks. Racers helping racers. Then over the radio we hear Camburg is down after pitA so we take off. By the time we got close to them they were already back up and running. About a couple minutes later we hear Jerry laughing on the radio as he passed Dan pulled over, I think someone decided to show off their softer side and moon them as Camburg passed. The attitude of the racers and spectators at these racers is awesome this is why I love desert racing.

WFODAN

Reaction
All in all it was a great race . We finally beat the DNF gremlin that has been following us for the last few races with the help of the Toyota of Huntington Beach team by loaning us their spare third member . Thanks alot guys , YOU ROCK !!

The race started off really smooth . We were running at about 75% to feel the truck and track out for the first lap . We started in the rear start position and passed the rest of the class except Camburg by mile marker 5 or 6 . At mile 20 Jerry was on the side with some of the chronies looking at the rear of the truck . He was roosting dirt as we passed like he was getting back on the track so I told Fish to keep an eye out for him in the mirror . As we went threw pit C our guys called me and said we had a 29 second split with Jerry , so we put the hammer down . We crossed the line for the first lap with a 52 minute time . Not too bad considering the fast class ones were running 40s and 41s and we are in a leaf spring stock mounting point front end Toyota truck .

On the second lap the rear end was making noise and it locked up at mile 11 . That's when Toyota of HB saved our day . As we were fixing the truck we saw the Camburg truck coming down the wash towards us . About ten of us ran to the side of the track and gave them a twenty cheek solute as they went by . After we got the rear end changed I let Fish drive the truck for the rest of the lap . He got about a half mile and said that second gear had let loose so he was stuck in first for the sand wash . I told him to drive it like he stole it and keep going .

In the end we took third place which I was stoked about !! However , there were two rollovers in our class . Camburg rolled and Crayfish Racing rolled also . I haven't got to talk to the Pearson Team (Crayfish) yet , but I hope all is well with both teams .

Special thanks to :

Toyota of Huntington Beach
Total Chaos fab
Deaver Springs
King Shocks
Baja Racing Products
and my crew for all their help
This wouldn't of happened without any of them !!!

Thank You

Dan Vance

Jkrell

Reaction
Good race dan. Way to get to the finish line.

You were smokin fast...52 min lap time is so impressive. You just raised the bar in the class.

Jerry, glad you guys are still in one piece.

Great race to watch with lots of good action.

jon

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Results:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mdrracing.com/pdfforms/2003_moj_results_lap.PDF>http://www.mdrracing.com/pdfforms/2003_moj_results_lap.PDF</A>

Go Big Or Go Home

drtdevil93

Reaction
well, i thought i had a good story (or excuse maybe :p), but you guys have me beat.
i got out to barstow thursday night. friday i wanted to do a couple laps to get warmed up for the race, about 10 miles in, transmission bugs caught me, and i had to limp it back to pit. i called up anaheim gear to see what they thought (the transmission was just redone, and had about 50 miles on it). we figured out it was a shifter geometry problem. and of course, i had made changes so a stock transmission wouldnt work anymore) so they made me a new trans and got me a new shift tower, and bushings, and all kinds of stuff, and had it ready for my buddy to pick it up in about 4 hours!! those guys kick A$$!! i got the trans at about 8:30 PM, threw it in and headed to contingency at about 10, Patricia was still there, and i got registered, caught Art, and got tech'd. just as i was walking away from patricia, AJ comes hauling butt doing the same last second thing as me. they were doing something for a TV show, and barely had time to put the thing together for the race. anyways, my plan was to do a real conservative first lap, to break the transmission in, and then 2nd lap for for it. well, coming in to main pits at the end of the first lap, a shock reservoir worked itself loose, and the hose was cut. i heard others were having problems, so i was gonna try and limp it the rest of the race. the front was just loose as hell with no dampening on my side, the airbump kept it from bottoming much, but it was doing wheelies over everything. at the end of the second lap just before main pits, i sheared the lower uniball-spindle bolt, downing me for half an hour. BIG thanks to Jon K. for helping me out. i was able to limp on, with no brakes. i came in to the pit, plugged the brake line as well as i could, and went on. the plug didnt work, and the brakes were gone right away. end of third lap, i snapped a steering centerlink. we patched it up, crossed the line, and called it quits. thanks go to my boss jeff for supporting me a lot, steve my codriver for helping me prep, anaheim gear for building me the transmission so quickly, my buddy mike for driving the transmission out to me, his gf for letting him and not killing me, fair for use of their welder, and baja shop for all the race support.
now the 1487 truck is going to be down for a while (no ridgecrest, unsure about mdr 400). the frontend is getting upgraded how it was supposed to be (big modified 4-runner spindle, bypass shocks, and big brakes, and the rear axle widened and changed to 6lug to go witht the 4runner spindle).

BTW- dan, 52 minutes is nuckin futs!!! i almost crashed after your little "love tap" from laughing!! too bad i had problems, and couldnt give your lap time a challenge at least.
jerry and pearson- glad you were both ok after your rollovers.
mark and keith growe- congrats on the win. proof that being conservative and consistent wins races!!

see ya in the desert!!
erik

frankh

Reaction
It was 102 of Richard Boyle and Ron Brant that had a run in with the 11 car. They had an 8 min lead and were on there last lap. It was at a fast part of the course so, yes he was at least at 100 mph. when he rolled on number 5 or 6 he hit one of are chase truck. his front tire/spindle assembly hit are pit crew. amazing no one was really hurt. There were hole in the dirt that were so big you could put a 35" tire in them. The car is done, I don't think it will run again not even as a prerunner. At least that is what they were saying at the pits. A couple of other bad thing was Richards daughter was driving my 5 car and was right behind him to see the whole thing, his brother Dennis was in our 1 car hearing to the whole thing.

As for our day. car 111 we were first off the line but with all the wind I knew that are dust would not be slowing them down. So I had to make the best of it. At mile 14-16 the power steering started to come and go.I did not think it was a belt so we decide to wait till main pit before we stopped. the TT caught us a little after 1/2 way. Boy he was moving. We got to main and they check out the steering but everything looked ok so we took off. It was doing the same thing but we had to live with it. The 102 car passed us at pit b when we slowed down at are pit to see if we had a tire going low. I kept the 102 car in site but just after check 2 going up the hill I used the left line because there were two trucks on the right one but at the top you have to make a 90 right turn to meet up with the course but I just blow it and flew over the top to nothing but rock and grass. The car stalled and would not fire, we thought it was flooded so we cracked on it for a while to see if we could get it to fire but no luck the co-pilot got out and saw the distributor cap off. but the tool bag was gone. then all the other one cars started to pass then the 10's. he ran over to a guy that had some tool and we put the cap on but it still did not fire. He figured out that one of the screws for the rotor fell out and wedged inside and changed the timing so he just set it by ear. At main we put a new screw back in on the rotor witch was easy because the air clearer was gone so we had to steal one off the prerunner. did driver change and sent Dennis out but way off on time. He had to stop ever lap for something , fuel,ripped cv boot, ripped limit strap ect. so we made it the finish line I think 4th.

I'm glad to hear that everyone is ok, because that is what count the most, all the metal s*** can be fixed.

Jkrell

Reaction
Erik,

Did you put a new bolt in the lower arm or did you run another whole lap on the one we put in there?

Jon

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I think it was a Yellow F-150 that was racing. But when they went through Pit A something broke open and a spare alternator, starter coil, and a baggy of other parts went flying. The guys with Camburg picked it up and want to get it back to the racer. PM me if you are missing these parts or know the racer who lost them.

drtdevil93

Reaction
i just checked it out, it was still tight, so i went on it. i was going pretty freakin slow at that point anyways.

erik

desertracer

Reaction
Glad to hear everybody was ok from the accident at pit B. That section is very high speed, we were up around 115 mph on gps in our car so I can only guess how much faster richard was going with the v8. We were at pit A next to checkers and heard all the chatter on the radio when it happened but nobody said which car it was at the time. Were both the drivers able to walk away? I am curious as to the structural integrity of the cage in the Jimco's, not that I doubt them just would like to know where any weak points are or how well it held up. Do you have any pictures of the car after the crash?

MDR Class 1

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
That would be where I saw that truck before, I was in the white sweater in the blue ranger that had the big built tough sticker, but didn't see anyone I recognized so we kept to ourselves.

When is the next MDR race, before this race I had never been to one, and I loved everyminute of it, we did a lot of taping at the first RX and where dan broke down too. I lkie how you are alowed to go where ever you want, unlike score you have to sit and wait, this way you can see some pass and the do a little trip and be at another spot and watch them go by again, and again.

Eric, did you get to ride with dan after I talked to you last we walked up to find a guy I went to school with that had a buggy in the race, and when we came back you were gone.

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

frankh

Reaction
I'm sure there a pics somewhere. I did not take any but did see the car before they left. The halo ripped apart on the passenger side and it bent badly on the drivers side. All I can say is that I'm glad it did not take one more good blow to the halo. Also the co-rider in the 5 Car was suppose to get in the one car but the timing got screwed up so Richard went solo.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Yeah Dave, I went after I saw you at the Motion Tire pit, probably 20min later. Fish stopped for about 5 minutes, Gregg got out, I got in, Dan and a couple other people checked under the hood and then under the truck for leaks and stuff, then we were gone. Besides not having second gear the truck ran awesome, and I am sold on Total Chaos, every big whoop just made me want it that much more, now all I have to do is get a truck.

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

Bonzen

Reaction
Dude...the onboard beater camera once again worked flawlessly and got 30 minutes of sic footage....not bad for a 100 dollar camera..I already watched it and damn you were on it....El Chingon is a bad MF...and sounds like one too. You'll be stoked to see it. I'll talk to you later.

-Ryan

bonzenproductions.com