MDR Jun 16th Night Race stories

JCA

Reaction
Lets hear them...

Well we finished. Course was a ruff one. There were only 2 trucks in my class and we camped next to each other. We started 30 seconds behind them and 3/4 through the first lap we were about the same distance behind. Then I got stuck on a silt hill. Some spectators pushed us out (THANK YOU GUYS) and we were back on our way but I never saw the other truck again. Lap 3 we broke the leaf springs on the pass side, I mean we snapped the whole pack in half. The rear side of the pack was still hooked up to the shackle and the axel and the front half was dangeling from the front mounting point. I slowley drove back to the pits and started to change the springs. The other trucks team, DSRacing, all came over and helped us. I do not think we would have finished without their help, we would have timed out. As it was we finished with 27 seconds to spare. We also broke a front spring on lap 5 but we finished the race on it.

way hot
way ruff
way FUN

dezertdude

Reaction
Well 1470 had a great race. Spent alot of time and money prepping for this race. We knew this one would be a challenge, especially being our first night race. All that prep paid off!

We started the race 11th off the line in our class. About halfway through the 1st lap my buddy #1472 caught up to us and for awhile we were 3 cars wide with a class 8 next to us. We both passed the 8 truck(think he was having engine trouble)1472 got the pass on us and we had to let em go due to dust. After that we just ran our own pace and passed quite a few cars.

Back in the hills, right after the section JCA got stuck at, the silt/dust got so bad at times we had to come to a complete stop for a few seconds....could'nt see a thing! That also caused me to miss the same turn twice! That had me worried, thinking we lost too much time. But we ended up placing 3rd in 1450 with zero mechanical problems!

Got back to pit and 1472 had not arrived. He radioed in his alternator had died and the battery was dead. As he was being towed back I started pulling my battery and checking to see if my alternator was compatible(both rangers). It was'nt. Decided we would give him my battery, and I would charge his battery on my truck and he could have that back if he needed it. Well before he left someone found a blown fuse, replaced that, got him a fresh battery, and he finished the race with ONE LIGHT! Nice job on the finish Jason #1472!

Way hot, way ruff, way fun pretty much sums it up.

Big thanks to the MDR volunteers and officials. It was so hot out there, I cant imagine what it was like working a checkpoint. Thank you!

DRIVE Jon

Reaction
way hot
way ruff
way FUN

Amen!
Thanks again for the generator JC....it was nice to have a back-up at the ready. I stiil can't believe how your leaf snapped in half like that!! It looked crazy! This was the first night race for summer and I. I was not preparred for how greuling summer-night races are... You have to be in good shape/well rested going in...which I was not. And this was a pretty short race! The volunteers did a great job. I got to do some off roading during the race to go help Mike and Val set up their lights at checkpoint 1. It was fun trying to get to them without driving on the course. Thanks to all the drivers giving us some "horn" as they went through the checkpoints. Almost all the drivers were staying in control at the checkpoints and keeping the volunteers safe! I felt bad for 1601...he came by checkpoint 1, 3 times in 10 minutes. I tried to find a messed-up course marker after check 1, but everything looked fine.

Thanks to all the volunteers who fought through a long-hot-windy day and night to make this race happen. Looking back...it was fun, but there were times during the weekend where I questioned the idea of having races during the summer heat! Just shows how pasionate a group of crazies that we are! I had to bail-out on helping MDR pick up course markers after mile 5. I started feeling real bad. Hope they did alright in the heat.

Thanks to the Baja Coalition for the food and support...heat-exhaustion loves company!

Jon
V4DR

Sheaco

Reaction
Thanks to MDR and all the volunteers that made our first race so much fun. Our Vision X lights worked great even with all the dust. We really don't have a story to tell cuz we had a problem free race. Thanks to the cars that we passed that moved over and let me go by. I hope I passed clean and didn't mess anyone up. And to the cars that need a louder horn or their horn wasn't working. Because no one heard it prior to being rammed I'll take it as just racing, but next time, bring your suit case cuz your going on a trip. LMAO

KB

Reaction
Let's hear that great story KYLE?????? PPC 4 LIFE!

What are you talking about(ha hal) you mean about me and my bro getting towed in 20 mi. by Shawns Rhino, and being stuck in the middle of nowhere for a couple of hours while everyone else partied and went to sleep,or about how everyone says your dad cant hang anymore, but still continue's 2 dominate every race with Shawn doing the finishing. PPC!

bomber

Reaction
1476 had an unfortunate incident that cost us 2nd place. I wasn't co-driving this race due to my older brother graduating, but we got there about 30 min after the start of the race, luckily with a large group of our rideclubsd.com pit crew along with others, and were still trying to figure out our radios and setting up the pit stop when we got a phone call from the driver's girlfriend who was co-driving that they had blown both driver's side tires off the bead at mile 8. It seems they were right next to a Class 1 as they were going into a tight turn, hit a hole in the inside of the turn which sent them on the pass. side two tires then slapped the truck over to the driver's side while hitting an embankment blowing both tires and then slowly going back down on all fours.So still setting up, we frantically got our chase trucks ready and sent them on their way to help. Our driver and co-driver got some help from a couple spectators and got both spares on in less than 10 min and were on there way. When the chase trucks got back with the tires and jack we reset the beads and got the spares ready to be put back on the truck. He didn't pit until after the third lap and I had been worried about one of the spares we had that has a slice around the hole circumference blowing out, but the BFG A/T held up the rest of the race. We gave him fuel, remounted the spares, and had trouble remounting the jack, but got him out in about 5 min. He ended up 4th place and still happy with the finish. Thank you everyone who helped put this race together, I know it's tough with the BLM's restrictions and also just being out in the heat, but this wouldn't be able to take place without you guys. Thanks especially to Jon at V4DR, all the volunteers, and all the folks at MDR. See you guys in Oct.

Reaction
Yeah someone has to set them up, so Shawn knocks them down.....It's true, Dad is not as old as they all think he is......He's just very expirienced!

LC Offroad Racing

Reaction
I was running pretty good the first 2 laps no problems expect my 4 bangger didnt like the second wash. I came in for a pit and co driver change fueled and was out of my pit in about 2 mins. About 17 miles into the third lap it felt like i had a flat tire so i pull over around 18 to check it and found that i tore my upper arm out of the frame and took out my bump stop and starter. So we called in for a trailer with took about 2 hours to get to us then hour to tow it back to camp got back got hammerd. I guess that race course was to much for the yota well will see you all in Oct unless an one is going to run the California 200 i will be up there for that one.

XTEENA

Adam's better half
Reaction
I was running pretty good the first 2 laps no problems expect my 4 bangger didnt like the second wash. I came in for a pit and co driver change fueled and was out of my pit in about 2 mins. About 17 miles into the third lap it felt like i had a flat tire so i pull over around 18 to check it and found that i tore my upper arm out of the frame and took out my bump stop and starter. So we called in for a trailer with took about 2 hours to get to us then hour to tow it back to camp got back got hammerd. I guess that race course was to much for the yota well will see you all in Oct unless an one is going to run the California 200 i will be up there for that one.

I think that the radio chatter when Mike and them were trying ot find you was the most funniest S@&% I have ever heard. Everytime Mike said ya he knows where your at, like 10 min later, he was all Flash you lights again...omg classic!

ASHCRAFT

Sticky Balls
Reaction
I think that the radio chatter when Mike and them were trying ot find you was the most funniest S@&% I have ever heard. Everytime Mike said ya he knows where your at, like 10 min later, he was all Flash you lights again...omg classic!

The best was when Timmy needed some Midol for that nasty case of vaginitis he came down with on the 2nd lap. LOL Just kidding Timmy.

MEYERS1631

Reaction
If Anyone Could Tell Me About My Crash Up On The Ridge Before Check 1 It Would Be A Great Story. I Would Tell You Guys About It But I Dont Remember It. All I Remember Was A Guy And A Girl Their To Help Us Get Out.
--- 1631 ---

LC Offroad Racing

Reaction
The best was when Timmy needed some Midol for that nasty case of vaginitis he came down with on the 2nd lap. LOL Just kidding Timmy.

The pill that she gave me didnt look like a Asprin who knows what it was. When did you guys take off?

BajaCoalition

Reaction
Thanks to the Baja Coalition for the food and support...heat-exhaustion loves company!

Jon
V4DR
Your Welcome-We had fun out there- It was nice meeting everyone. Thanks Jim & Patricia for the support, and Jon & Summer for letting us be involved. Besides being miserable from the extreme 114* heat, it was a great time.

I must congratulate the 5-1600 class, and Applaud #591 Art Savedra for bringing home first place, The rest of the Baja Coalition finishers are second place winner # 561 Dave Dennett, Third place #580 Kris Schulz, fourth and fast lap #556 Brent Shermak, . DNF's #589 Mike Boone and #552 Scott Plunkett.

The next Baja Coalition race will be on December 31st- The Dunaway Dash. We are thinking of doing an old Fud tradition and having Bloody Mary's and Mimosa's for Awards day, celebrating the New Year. We shall see you then.

ANSRACING

Reaction
we had a pretty uneventful day. only 1 other sportsman car to deal with, got around him and we were on our own. we came in to do a drivers change after lap 3 had a rear flat, changed it and we were on our way. our engine and suspension worked well. there was a lot of dust. there was also a fist fight in a 1600 pit we got to see. for all the spectators out on the course, please dont blind the racers with your bright az hids. it happend to us a couple times by mile 16. but all in all we had fun and took 1st place. congrats to all the winners.we will see you guys at the new years eve race.
A & S RACING #1303

DanDan

Reaction
I was sitting on a hill watching the little wash coming up from the second trestle. I thought that the problem with vehicles crossing the course and running backwards on course was worse than normal. One truck was in the wash going backwards and saw a race vehicle coming at him and he pulled to the right and shut his headlights off. I was pretty confused by that.

I stopped shooting pictures when the sun got low because I was worried about blinding drivers with the flash. One of our drivers said that there was a lot of flash going on around the course and it didn't bother him. Any drivers want to comment on that?

Sheaco

Reaction
Flash from cameras was O.K., what really sucked was the amount of traffic on the course. If you have to get your broke car is one thing but plz turn your lights off as we come by you. In dust it's hard to tell what's going on when headlights of any kind are pointed at you. Other wise great time I hope for good pics.

ANSRACING

Reaction
Flash from cameras was O.K., what really sucked was the amount of traffic on the course. If you have to get your broke car is one thing but plz turn your lights off as we come by you. In dust it's hard to tell what's going on when headlights of any kind are pointed at you. Other wise great time I hope for good pics.

i agree. does anyone have a pictures of 1303. i saw a lot of flashing going on around mile 20-25. thanks.

Rich35

Reaction
Anybody have contact info for 1101, Tim Sletten?

1630 broke a torsion finger on lap 1 and the 1101 crew hooked us up with one.

Saved the day fo sho!