MDR - Post Race Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankh

Reaction
He was camping just passed me. Yes I saw him out some on Friday but we were working on carolyns truck till 11:00 or so. I saw him coming in and out of his camp site sat but did not know he was on the course. Had I seen him on the course I would have said somthing too him. he use to race a 5 open car in score. I already passed on what I know to "bugracer" as soon as I saw his post.

motoxscott

Reaction
I'm not posting this to stir the pot or add fuel to the fire, but isn't it ironic that when many point the finger at young unexperianced drivers jumping their trucks causing trouble and possibly creating a safety hazard, you see older ex-racers who should know better, in their trophy bronco creating an even bigger safety hazard.

I didnt witness him running up and down on the course, but I did see him leaving and coming back to his camper/area quite frequently in the main pit area during the race.

What it comes down to is you have people that drive within their limits and make every effort to be safe and then you have the losers that are selfish and not only risk their own lives, but the lives of others around and bring a dark cloud over the sport. Those are the people that need to go, regardless if they drive a $5k ranger or a $60K linked bronco.

Just some thoughts I had.

-Scott

WFODAN

Reaction
OK , I guess I'll give my opinion on the whole thing .

If I am racing and you bring your truck on the track infront of me and don't move before I get there ........... I will try my hardest to smash your car or truck with my bumper . I refuse to be held up in the dust of anyone not racing in the race . I have chased for many years before I ever raced my first race . The first thing I learned was stay off the course , or suffer the end results of a chromolly bumper into my steel body truck . There is no reason why you should be anywhere on the course when a racer is coming down the track . PERIOD!! No matter who you are , who you are chasing for , and even if your racecar is broken down just over the hill . We were broke down for over 5 hours on saturday with our chase and pit guys bringing us parts we needed to continue racing the whole time . They went back and forth many times but never left or showed up on the course ( and we were broke at a nasty spot , mile 56.5 ) . They always used the access roads to get as close as they could then they drove directly across the dez straight to us . The last thing I want to do is mess up someone elses day by them wrecking their racecar into one of my guys while he was on the track coming to get me . Or better yet have someone on my crew get hurt or killed by a racecar while trying to retrieve my truck . It is something that is just common sense . Stay off the course .

As for "the wall" directly .......... I love to launch the wall !! It is a rush , but if I wasn't racing I wouldn't do it . All the years I went there to watch races and pit or chase before I raced I never hit it once during a race . Sure the crowd is there and you want to be " the man " and go big , but if you do hit a spectator ( even if he is on the course to get your moment of fame on film ) , I won't be able to race there anymore . That will suck , and yes it will only take one time to do it . I know you guys think that you are all great drivers with bad ass trucks , but anything can go wrong . This time nothing did , but let's say it was nothing to do with Ians driving skills or his truck . In the picture I noticed alot of rocks that the truck scooped up as it went up ................... What if one of those hits someones kid in the melon and makes him goofy . His Mom and Dad will sue the hell out of MDR and you . That will be the end of the series for sure . So now that will leave a few hundred racers that can't really race anywhere else ( due to money restictions or where they live or whatever ) with nowhere to go . Now that would really suck !! And your truck that was so cool is now owned by the goofy kids Mom and Dad . I know it didn't happen yet , but remember the word " yet " . One day if people keep doing it ......... it will happen .

Just be smart guys . Don't mess up things for all of us . If you want to jump and make the crowd cheer , go big man and hit the Robby Gordon jump in Glamis . Don't waste your time on a four foot mogule called "the wall" . Leave the wall to the racers on race day . If you're bored then go and hang out somewhere else where things are a bit more exciting for you .

shrek

Reaction
Well said, Dan.

Bonzen

Reaction
Dan you're right and just to say it one last time I never supported him hittin it, I was just sticking up for my friend thats all. Same way I stick up for you and all the other guys we hang with when they do something alot of people disagree with. Freedom of speech right? Basically him hittin the wall was a "rookie" mistake lol.

-Ryan

frankh

Reaction
If is wrong it's wrong friend or not.

I talked to are pit people.The bronco guy was a friend of a friend deal that heard there was a race and came out. If Dennis or I knew he was on the course then we would have put a stop to it. what he was doing was wrong.

I'm an old fart and never thought it was just a kid problem. I have people that chase for me that when we break think all the rules go out the window and that is not the case. This year at the San Felipe race we had a problem after zoo road but the parts were with us at the half way point. so one of the chase truck left with them and the chase truck on the other side told him on the radio if "he you are going less then 90 then your going to slow" so I had to tell him to slow down and be safe. So it is everyone it is easy to get caught up in it.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
You guys are beating a dead horse. Let the subject die. The wall was way better this year. We all know no one should be on it. Eventually people will get the message.

Also for all you guys sticking up for friends, bagging on mdr officials for standing under an ezup are the ones that are gonna ruin this sport for us. Keep your fingers off the keyboard and your friends off the course, simple as that. This is a joke that this thread has gotten so far from its original subject.

Congrats to all the winners and finishers. See you all at the night race.

full_pull

Lobo
Reaction
Mike Jakobson's orange and white Bronco was not the Bronco that was hot lapping main pit Friday night. Maximum boost to the white Bronco that was laying the smack down Friday night with his judicious use of the loud pedal.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Go to races to help a team or go to kick back and hang with the boys...if racing is boring without a big jump or somebody showing how big there pecker is...you are not a true desert racing fan. Those talking down to RacnCPA and not knowing who she is...are not true desert racing fans...every true fan should know her and know what she does for the sport and has done for the last who knows how many years. MDR is the only promoter who allows spectators on the course in the states so kick back and relax and go big on off weekends. If you want to have a truck in a video or get some SICK footage...jsut tell Klaus you are gonna go beat the crap out of it...I am sure he will be game to film it.

Yeah the jump was cool and it is a nice truck...couldnt it have been done on friday or sunday though?

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
"bagging on mdr officials for standing under an ezup are the ones that are gonna ruin this sport for us"

The whole point of the MDR officials being there this year was to help keep people off the course, but how could they do that sitting in a beach chair? I give props to Tom for sticking it out there all day in the heat, but he can't control the crowds by himself.

Just as its dangerous for trucks to be jumping during a race, its just as dangerous, if not MORE for there to be a crowd of 20+ people within a couple feet of the landing of The Wall and not staying within the flagged areas just to get a cool shot on video.

ESB4130

Reaction
PHILLY!!!!

STYOOL!!!

what a joke...this post is outa hand. ian hit the jump. him and everyone else knows he shouldnt have done it but he did and its over. im gonna stand up for ian and say that he IS a good driver, in a well built truck, and although what he did was wrong...there was no better time to hit that than he did, it was several minutes after he hit before another came around, he knows just as well as anyone that if you wanna get on the track...its your risk that someones gonna plow you philly styoool, ian knows it and took the risk anyways on his way back from wherever he was.

ANYWAYS. unless someone has some new I failed spelling to say...its over and lets forget it. i definetly agree that people need to stay off the course...ive raced motorcycles for years and i start racing MDR in a few months as well, so trust me i understand the issue at hand here, but were making a mountain out of a mole hill. lets spend more effort keeping kids from sitting in lawn chairs ON the course (i know someone else had to have seen that) and lets keep people behind the banners, and lets keep non-chase vehicles off the course. ill admit that at one point i had to drive on the course for a very short section...and believe me ive never been so scared and cautious about it...its not something one takes lightly knowing that a class 1 at any time could plow my nice new truck...and obviously nothing bad happened because of my respect for the danger and the caution i approached it with. well, lets not bag on ryan for standing up for his friend, we all know that we shouldnt be on the course or else the dez and the racing will be gone...and none of use want that to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.