MDR Race

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
This is what happens when an 8 truck wont be patient and rips the side of a limited truck off. Pretty sad if you ask me.

I also heard of an accident on Camp Rock road where two people were airlifted out. I hope everyone pulls through.

Attachments

• 5-32038-ouch.jpg
    5-32038-ouch.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 119

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Dont know what happened to the pic. Sorry. Here is a closeup. It was such a hard hit it snapped the upper traction bar.

Attachments

• 5-32039-MVC-571X.JPG
    5-32039-MVC-571X.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 131

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Here is the rear end, you can see the heim there and nothing else.

Attachments

• 5-32040-MVC-572X.JPG
    5-32040-MVC-572X.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 121

Crayfish

Reaction
I saw that truck at the main pit, sad that someone thinks their race is more important than someone in a slower class. We are all racing regardless of the class, and people need to respect that. I have more respect for someone that can give a small tap a be patient for you to find a good spot to pull off, it takes a better driver. Rather than mashing the throttle and pushing anything from their path.

Just my opinion

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
In regards to the MDR race this weekends I would like to extend my prayers to those involved in the head-on spectator collision outside the race at aprox 7am.

A Toyota pickup collided head on with a Fullsize truck. Those not wearing the seatbelt restraints did not look so fortunate. Two head to be airlifted and we pray for a safe and speedy recovery at this point.

Never made it to the race cause our prerunner caught on fire while waiting in traffic. The rearend lost oil into the hot bearings/brakes and made for some nice flames.... fire got under control quick, but that ended out day right there.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
The truck that hit 1299 had to wait around until dusk, while it got protested...not sure what the outcome was.

The accident was a very bad thing. Two of the people are at home safe, not sure on the others...and the thing that is crappy is the baja sliders just drove right passed people being medi-vaced out and continued to pass people on blind corners like it was a race track rather then an access road! Hope everybody recovers fast and 100%.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

jimpat

Reaction
which class 8 truck hit the 1229?
quite a hit!!!!
I did not make it to the race as I was testing Klaus's ex prerunner and we went around the local hills here. No BLM problems nor rear end fires!!!!!
have a good week
jim

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!

SpeedRacer

Reaction
I heard that there was another collision on the coarse that took out both racers on the first lap. Anyone have details or pictures of that carnage?

L&SMotorsports

Reaction
Congrats to Todd Jergenesen on 1st in class, 1st overall. This was only the second time out with a new motor combo, and he said all the bugs are worked out. Sounds like the car is really hooked up. Does anybody know if this is the first time a Caddy has won an off road race? Very cool Todd.

Hope every one involved in the accidents are alright.

Later.

Bonzen

Reaction
Makes me feel lucky to come home from a race with my only problem being a blown tire.

I hope everyone will recover fully, and that people in the future will use that extra bit of caution that can save your day and your life.

-Ryan

RacnCPA

Reaction
Klaus, I think you were the one waiting for the tow truck to Costa Mesa when I was getting one to go to Covina. Let me know if that was the case.

Sc

RacnCPA

Reaction
Since I was supposed to cover the race for Dusty Times and due to engine trouble I never made it, I would appreciate any available information on the race. Racers, chasers and other team members please fax or email your team's race info to me ASAP. I have a Friday deadline for this article. I apologize to all the racers that I was unable to interview in person. You know I'm always there from the first finisher to the closing of the finish line, but *things* happen and this time it happened to me.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for those involved in accidents. I heard way too many calls on the tow truck driver's radio on the way home at 9am Saturday. Total bummer.

Fax (626) 653-2024 or cannoncpa@earthlink.net

Sc

btshannon

Reaction
"Chasers want to be racers" I always thought that something like this was going to happen. I'm sorry that it did happen , but I knew that it was only a matter of time before it did happen. I've had some real close calls chasing some MDR races. A few years ago, out at Barstow, I almost had a crash when this one dude came ripping around a blind curve on the road between Stoddard wells road and Hodge road (the narrow curvy part). This moron must have been around 45 or 50 mph when he had to lock up his brakes to avoid little 'ol me. The best part is that this brain surgeon was wearing a crash helmet inside of his fully caged, full size pre-runner. Two years ago, I was all but ran off of Bessemer mine road during the night race by another overzealous chaser dude.
BUY A RACE RADIO (Scott at PCI sells some nice ones). A BROKEN RACECAR ISN'T GOING ANY WHERE UNTIL SOMEONE FIXES IT !
I normally don't plan my chase at all, I just cruise around all day long with the race radio on. Once I find a fun spot, I let the main know that I've found my new spot. Besides, these MDR courses are so small any chase truck can be at any pit area in about a half an hour. SO TAKE IT EASY , OKAY ?

My own taste for the hops is very powerful, and I had no intention of spending a beerless weekend...

frankh

Reaction
1st Hope everyone recovers from the accident on camp rock road

2nd Congrads to 155 they ran a great race.

3rd congrads to the Letners they were hauling

(150)
Well once again we had a great trip everyone from our pits made it home safely. I started in the class-1 car. We were fourth off the line. There was a lot of dust and it was not moving anywhere. We popped a tire 1/2 mile form S/F and got it changed at our main pit without losing a spot. Then on our second lap I got a flat about two miles after check 2. Pulled over and changed it. Then I made a stupid mistake, I floored it and proceeded to bury the car. It took a while for us to jack the car out and get running again. Finished that lap and let Dennis in. We only had 4 spares. I thought I would let Dennis in before I used them all. Dennis ran well. He had one front and one rear flat, but both times he was able to get to a pit. We would have been able to put a little pressure on 155 if I did not make a big mistake.

(1477)
Carolyn ended up with a DNF. Her first lap was good. But on her second lap just after the wall she hit a rock that pushed the bottom of the skid pan into the steering gear box and this sheared all the bolts off. After getting the parts and then getting the old bolts out of the box she was off again. Then about 4 miles out from S/F she lost electrical power. We were able to get it back to main pit. It was the alternator. After locating one there was little time to get it in and finish her last lap. So we called it a day.

(102)
Richard and Ron did not even clean the car after the Primm race. While getting it out of the trailer for tech they found some cracks in the frame. Those were fixed that night. Everything was going smooth till there third lap about 5 mile after check 3. This is where the car lost all electrical power. The battery shorted. He was in a bad spot for the chase people. After a long down time a prerunner pulled up and gave them their battery. Then they just cruised to the finish.

Also I left a blown tire with a good rim a like the 24 mile mark. I sent a chase truck to find it but they could not. If you found it, I would like it back. The old ultras are hard to find. My pit people could not find the spot, but it should be easy it has two big holes and an imprint of the skid pan to mark it.

Thanks to all the people that helped us get to the finish line. Bfi racers and pitters, Checkers, Pismo Mark, Bill Driggs, and Gary Curtis. We would also like to thank Gary for building one bad ass motor for the car. Also enjoyed talking to everyone that stop bye to say.

RacnCPA

Reaction
Frank, can you send all that to my email addy? Anyone else have any info on their race for me? I would sure appreciate it! THANK YOU and CONGRATS to you and better luck next time for the rest of the family/crew.

Sc

RacnCPA

Reaction
I almost forgot to thank TODD GRAYDON for stopping to help me on Highway 18. It didn't take the tow truck too long to get there and load up the truck and we rocked to KCAL all the way to Kellogg Hill. Thanks for taking the time to stop and help!

Sc

drtdevil93

Reaction
i was getting pretty pissed at the flatbillers driving like idiots too, im going 30-35 to go to the wall and all the jackasses decide its cool to go blowing by me kicking up rocks and dust. you guys suck ass!!

thanks to ryan for pulling me out. i keep forgetting that im not in my race truck. last race i got my motohome stuck (twice!). this time it was my stock toyota (campershell for off road weight transfer?). anyways thanks ryan!

i had a good time hanging out with craig pearson and mike horners camp. congratulations of 1st place in 1450!

i also learned a valuable lesson. there are desert chicks, and non-desert chicks. i brought a friend of mine, and she turned out to not be a desert chick, and just whined and complained the entire time about everything i couldnt do anything about. she complained to the point that i left the race a little early. BOO!! NEVER AGAIN!! DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!! choose who you take with you very carefully, as they can make a great race day miserable.

erik

dezertchick

Reaction
erik,
It's hard to find a chick who doesn't mind eating dirt and/or peeing behind a bush. The chicks that love the races/desert are out there, but far and few between. Hell, I dont bring most of my chick friends, cause they annoy the hell out of me and are too worried about their make up...They miss out on all the fun! Best advice is to leave them at home!

I hope eveyone involved in the accidents are ok...