MDR Results/ Stories

desertracer

Reaction
The day ended early for us as our clutch burned out at mile 25 on our second lap. The first lap went perfect and was very fast. Car #117 may have had the overall lead at the end of lap 2 before he flipped just before start/finish. Did anybody get video of this? I'd like to hear the results of the 1400's and any other classes. If anybody has video's or pic's please post them.

MDR #112

schafer

Reaction
well to show how THB did.. LOL

BTW steve, if you want a bigger version of this email me.

Corey Schafer
tmcorey@ttora-socal.com

Crayfish

Reaction
We had more problems today than the entire season last year. We tore up the carrier bearing at mile 27 on the first lap and probably lost an hour by the time we were back up and running.
Then on the end of lap 2 we came in for a driver/co-driver change and saw the temp gauges were pinned, pulled the hood to find the fan wasn't spinning. We replaced the fan clutch and while that was being done we noticed some cracks on the lower front shock mounts. The Hines/Vance pit was kind enough to let us use their welder to get the truck back on the road (thanks again for helping us and also Geoff Falzone for welding it). There was some talk about the welder running on beer or something so we will have to take care of that next race.
We also had a rock or something hit the back window and shatter it so driver and codriver were getting headaches from the exhaust. We did a red and purple duct tape rear window patch that some said was right out of the "909" whatever that means. We also lost a rear axle seal and one of our spindles was moving up and down on the kingpin a half an inch or so.
But other than that we had a great time. I think we ended up 5th in 1450. The class was full and it was great to see some new trucks in our class hopefully we will have that many all season.

Craig Pearson
Crayfish Racing
MDR 1450

elcaprerunner

Reaction
I thought it was an awesome race, we hit all of our good spots as usual and found a different one that I haven't been to before. Jon was flying, congrats to him all the way on the 1450 victory. Actually, after leaving the start line I didn't many of the 1450s accept Jon and the orange F-150, saw Jerry once and never saw Dan at all accept the start. So I have a big question on what happened to Dan? desertracer, I got some good foottage of you on your first lap, you know where to send the tape.....haha. How did the Baja Shop truggy finish if it finished at all? We saw it fo around four times if I remember correctly, but we were also driving alot. Who got the overall? One good jump was by Seeley in his 5 open fly off the road crossing at Stoddard Road RX8. Oh yeah, did Steve ( username sjr) get the 7s victory? He was looking good and fast all day and appeared to be in the lead of 7s all day, congrats Steve if this is true that you got the victory, PM me if you want another video. All in all it was an awesome day in the dezert, watched some racing, did some bonzing, and just had a great time. God I love MDR!!

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I second Kritters comment on the funnest MDR to date. I had a blast at tech and all day race day. Met tons of new people, alot of vehicles running Race-Dezert stickers. That was awesome. The only bad thing about this weekend is I left the race wanting Camburg to 4 link my blazer, their ranger was looking bitchin everytime it went by. Also all the guys running around on the Xr50's. I am going to have to pick up one of them too.

Jkrell

Reaction
I love truck racing!!! We had a great race...no major problems just a flat on lap four when I tagged a big ugly rock....besides that we ran clean....A big thanks to Duffco Dan Kiefer who drove a great lap 2.....Duffco = great prep and suspension (and driving)....Pete Fab = The most incredible shock setup I could imagine (seriously....I can't believe some of the stuff we drove through).

I am sorry to say Dan Vance broke early in the race....kinda wierd emotions went through my head when I heard...first, I was realived, one less thing to worry about.....then I was kinda sad...I would like to have had the chance to run toe to toe with him again....there will be another day I'm sure....I look forward to it.

Side note - Erik from Deaver set fast lap on lap 1.....He passed me in the wash like nobodies business.....fast!!!

Another Note - I got punted (hard) by a one car on my lap 4....I got about .2 seconds of horn and kablam....didn't even see him coming....its ok though, thankfully me and my codriver both had a spare pair of underwear with us :)....plus....now I have a sweet war wound in my bumper :)

Overall....a great race...MDR really puts on a good professional show in my opinion.

Thanks to everybody for all the thumbs up and cheering on the course...looking forward to any pics and vids that come out.

Jon Krellwitz

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Oh hell! I didn't even have time to get my belts tight :(

We left the line in a hell of a show (the roost landed 3 cars back) and were flying and then right at our pit (about 15seconds into the race) the lower balljoint broke on the passenger side....it broke then we hit the next lip and went flying into the air and when we landed the tire was into the fender well and the lower arm and strut slammed into a big rock on the face of the next lip....

Damage: Bent lower arm mount (on frame)....Broken in half Strut frame....broken balljoint....

Everyone said we were done but I said hell no we arent....we yanked on the arm to straighten it back a little and drove it to the pit (about 10 feet away) after 4 hours of work we had it back together...rigged like no other!! THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED! Especially Gregg and your friend whos name I forget sorry.....

Well Dan had enough of the stupid yota so I jumped in and we SUCCESFULLY completed one lap....but then the radiator got a hole in it and we called it a day....

Good times and the yota WILL BE BACK!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

WFODAN

Reaction
Jon ,

Congrats on the win bro !!!! You were gettin it !! Wish I could've made more of a day of it , but that's the game . Hopefully you can make some more races this year and we can get this thing going again . Good times man !!!!

Dan Vance

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pencilart.com/photo/vids/wildwash03/breakstuff.wmv>#1459 Incar</A>

Incar from Dan's truck....

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

Tom_Willis

Reaction
The biggest incident of the day was the #117 Jimco entering pit row after the second lap. Apparently losing a tire caused it to hit a berm wrong, but it skyed fifteen feet up, then kind of cartwheeled across the pits. From where I was at I saw it disappear between motor homes, then a cloud of white smoke and silence. The driver, Ben Schlimme, got out unhurt, and luckily nobody was injured, just frightened a lot.. It smacked into a motor home, after hitting lawn chairs, ice chests, and an (empty) baby stroller. We got VERY lucky this time.

I live my life one paycheck at a time

martininsocal

Reaction
I rode the entire race with Terrie Tavis in the 10 car. Pretty uneventful...couple of dinged front rims(no flats which were changed in the pits on lap 4 when we stopped for gas. I did my usual car sickness gig, threw up out teh side of the car on lap 3 and lap 5, but didn't stop!!!(I have only ridden in a passenger twice since 1989, and that pretty much includes all vehicles, cars, fire engines, race cars, etc...so I am not used to turning a grab handle and using the foot rest as a brake!) We finished 3rd and the car seemed to be in pretty good shape. Gotta hand it to BFGoodrich for tires that should explode on impact out there and don't and Lothringer for putting together a car that stays together. Only contact was with the 136 buggy that ran into the back of us as we slowwed for the RX8 turn and drop. Thanks guys, nice horn!!!!!!!! Glad no one got hurt out there.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by martininsocal on 02/02/03 10:04 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Bonzen

Reaction
Lets see...replaced lower ball joint, cut and re-welded strut frame, gusseted strut frame, removed entire pass. side suspension, cut main lower arm mount bracket almost off, and bent back into place with hydralic ram and help from big sledge hammer, rewelded everything back up, ghetto alighnment and put suspension back on and well, it cycled pretty straight. I dont think many other people would have gone to all the trouble of fixing a break like that....but we do stuff like that in ocotillo like every weekend on someones truck!

Bottom line? When everyone said it couldnt be fixed, we fixed it and took it for a "victory lap." Never say die! The best part was the big crowd across from our pit cheering us on as we drove off, after they had been watching us fix it for like 4 hours. Thanks Dan and Fish for not givin up with me. That yota is bad ass.

-Ryan

bonzenproductions.com

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
"The best part was the big crowd across from our pit cheering us on as we drove off, after they had been watching us fix it for like 4 hours."

Luckily our RDC bar was open all morning or we may not have been able to get so rowdy....you guys did an extraordinary job...props to you.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Bolca_Grande_II

Reaction
Tom
Regarding the #117 car of Ben Schlimme was the car able to continue? I believe this is actually the car of Danny Anderson?
Bolca Grande II

sbro

Reaction
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.desertrides.com/videos/wildwash03.wmv>http://www.desertrides.com/videos/wildwash03.wmv</A>

Here's the video I just finished, random race footage and some friend's messing around afterward. About 5min long set to music.

desertracer

Reaction
Regarding Ben in Danny Anderson's 1 car, he was not able to continue. That flip destroyed the front drivers side a-arm, the whole rear cage got ripped off, rear brake broke, shock mounts got ripped off the rear trailing arms. Ben was a bit shook up after the flip but seemed to be ok.

MDR #112