Mdr The Coyote Wash - Night Race Gps Map

DRIVE Jon

Reaction
Hey David,

Thanks for doing this...Hope most the markers were up when you got out there! Hope you found a good spot for ckpt #2.

You still gonna bring 1 extra generator? Do you have lights for it too? I'm working on trying to get more generators loaned to us.

Any thing else you want to warn me about the night race?:eek:

Jon

wrightracing.net

Reaction
Website
www.wrightracing.net
The course is very rough. I am bringing a extra generator but I do not have a extra set of lights. I think we might have a good spot but I need to clear it with Patricia and Jim. I was going to bring the RV out to the check point but there is no way to get it out there. I also forgot it was fathers day on Sunday so after the race we are heading back to San Diego.

wrightracing.net

Reaction
Website
www.wrightracing.net
This is funny, this thread just popped up as new on my Tapatalk app on my phone as a new post

I miss those days when California was a little more free to live our lives and race in the United States.

So sad there isn't any Race Organization that could put on races like FUD, MDR and DRIVE.

WE NEED TO MAKE PLASTER CITY GREAT AGAIN WITH OFF-ROAD RACING!!!

jon coleman

Reaction
in all seriousness, who/ what body still has the racing permits in there possession?, thats how i understand it, the blm allows only so many race's, & issues the permits .How in the heck did Fud do it?, one guy made Plaster city races sooo fun& easy, now its just ridiculous..

wrightracing.net

Reaction
Website
www.wrightracing.net
The Issue isn't the permits, but all the insurance and the requirements to pay law enforcement an extra fee. Along with fee's to have the race course surveyed by an archaeologist to make sure the course doesn't go through any historic area's. Then they require a environmental impact report and that is extra money and the environmental surveyors have it out for anything more than foot prints and they will nitpick the race course to death, causing us to reroute the course over and over.

I use to help MDR with the Race Course's and we would get revisions up until the week of the race. It made marking the course and prerunning difficult.

Now days there are no promoter's willing to jump through all the crap and upfront cost that they may not recover, even with entry fee's. On top of that, CA is requiring the desert closed to spectators, so that limits the turnout to get spectator fee's.

I always thought a spectator Permit for people to be out in the desert would draw people out and help fund the race.

All that is why we don't have truck and buggy racing in Plaster City. SCORE was the last one to try it and was a money looser and made spectating a terrible experience compared to the way races are held in Mexico.

So sad

jon coleman

Reaction
how do the sxs& mx do it, d38?& i woulda paid 20, no, 30 bucks to watch the dash, heck, some years a Benjamin😍

KneelBee

Reaction
How has MORE been able to continue having races in Barstow? Is it cheaper to get permits/not as many hoops compared to Plaster City?

wrightracing.net

Reaction
Website
www.wrightracing.net
It helps to have county official's that are friendly to off-road racing. Imperial County is not.

As for bikes and UTV's and D38. They run the same courses they have had for years. Also, the county does not require the whole desert closed to everyone but race vehicle's. So the cost is much less overall. Because they have not stopped, they have the infrastructure in place, where a new organization would not .

We need a sponsor that can get wide spread public exposure to justify the cost. Then someone that has the connections to organize everything.

Maybe one day.

Fourstroker

Reaction
Even crazier is the fact that the Ridgecrest BLM is even easier to deal with than Barstow. They love racing and often have volunteer Search and Rescue dudes on site. No charge

Charlietuna

Reaction
One of the biggest issues is that BLM is NOT going to close the desert off to the public during the riding season/holiday weekends, as the non-racing, but still off-roading types would raise holy hell. That leaves only the hotter part of the year and a promoter would be hard pressed to find spectators that are going to pay to go sit out in the heat all day to watch one or two trucks come by every 20 minutes.

jon coleman

Reaction
One of the biggest issues is that BLM is NOT going to close the desert off to the public during the riding season/holiday weekends, as the non-racing, but still off-roading types would raise holy hell. That leaves only the hotter part of the year and a promoter would be hard pressed to find spectators that are going to pay to go sit out in the heat all day to watch one or two trucks come by every 20 minutes.
thats why a Superstition night series is the ticket, run it from april till end of june, temps not bad, no crowds, easy to see any civilians at night driving around, win win,( unless someone is out driving around with no lights on😲

Charlietuna

Reaction
thats why a Superstition night series is the ticket, run it from april till end of june, temps not bad, no crowds, easy to see any civilians at night driving around, win win,( unless someone is out driving around with no lights on😲

I don't know all the ins and outs, but from what I've heard about the D38 races is that BLM doesn't want them running at night either. I know they have run some of the UTV portions of their races where they finish at or just after sundown, but a full on, in the dark, night race is a no-go.

jon coleman

Reaction
oooookkkk...., how about we leave a hat at the ' welcome to plaster city,west ' sign, honor system, you discretely put your cash in it, then mosey on over to coyote wash, then at midnight you All take off , one good lap around superstition mnt& back, winner take all, 'not a " race" officer'😘