MDR update

Mark Newhan

Reaction
Mark, a promoter in touch with the situation could have done a lot.

I totally agree. The "fans" that go to the races nowadays feel a bit like sheep. It's our own fault as a community, not just any single fan, promoter, BLM or other such entity. Sadly Zoo road may be the next ill fated example.

There is one variable of the MDR event that puzzles me... The one certain detail is that the race cars would be going at high rates of speed through that section...everything else was the cause of the accident, why nobody points to this is troubling. I guess we as a society no longer want to take responsibility for our own actions.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
Reaction
SCORE, SNORE, and BITD had some sort of restricted access to most of their US race courses well before the "rock-pile" tragedy, so being able to driveout onto live courses without some attempt at regulation was already becoming extinct well before the Cali-200 incident.

Jack

Reaction
I totally agree. The "fans" that go to the races nowadays feel a bit like sheep. It's our own fault as a community, not just any single fan, promoter, BLM or other such entity. Sadly Zoo road may be the next ill fated example.

There is one variable of the MDR event that puzzles me... The one certain detail is that the race cars would be going at high rates of speed through that section...everything else was the cause of the accident, why nobody points to this is troubling. I guess we as a society no longer want to take responsibility for our own actions.

I don't understand your question.
Are you asking why race cars were going fast?
I think they were racing.
Unless the whole group is forced to slow down for a section you can not expect some to just do it on there own and loose.
Even now in the areas that there is a speed zone, this is pushed by some and this was cause all to pick up the pace in those areas.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I don't understand your question.
Are you asking why race cars were going fast?
I think they were racing.
Unless the whole group is forced to slow down for a section you can not expect some to just do it on there own and loose.
Even now in the areas that there is a speed zone, this is pushed by some and this was cause all to pick up the pace in those areas.

I think he's saying the people standing there should have known better. I agree.

down4glamis

Reaction
Unfortunately our foresight turned out to be 20/20 but warnings and attempts were unheeded. Many people worked very hard to offer a safer alternative. That is where I was, where were you? If you only knew - WAFJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in my truck 2 rows behind sloppy. I already knew what to expect and planned from years racing it before to cruise through the section. What is unfortunate is that Adam from Clean Dezert put up the snow fencing 2x years in a row and that year could not get the funds or time to do it again. No one else did anything other than spout off after the fact.

Marks explanation is a great explanation of people attending the races in general. "beers in hand, wanting to duck and dodge flying rocks as the cars pass by". even the most reserved or beligerent individual will never get a group to listen. this isnt anything new... so to fix it, a simple fence or barrier of somesort would have worked miracles in my opinion.

As far as i'm concerned, i am incredibly thankful i was in my race truck and did not have to witness the tragedy first hand. I saw enough fear in the faces of my team when i stopped along side the course to ask wtf was going on, not knowing that sloppys truck was upside down just 15ft in front of me.

ACME

Reaction
wow... just wow...

hindsight is always 20/20. way to show your years of wisdom with some foresight to help fight the problem back then instead of turning your back on it, then crying about it from then on out.

where were YOU before this happened to help your oh so precious sport when you all KNEW something was going to happen. atleast some people tried to remedy the issues and even went as far as putting up snow fencing along the course to help keep spectators away. if ANY of your KNEW this was going to happen, why wouldnt you have helped put snow fencing up again? why wouldnt you SAY something.

oh but now... now you guys ALL saw it coming... WAFJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can tell you a number of people attempted to intervene and make the point but a group of know it all, wisearse, dipthongs who had their head shoved so far up their own egos helped overrun common sense and aided MDR in creating the situation we have now. Emails were sent, conversations had and yes; tons of posts regarding this subject, the warnings etc... Some on this very site. All trying to appeal to the mindless throngs that followed the MDR lifestyle and the dorks that promulgated the B.A. baller, DGAF, Big Huck, WFO attitude/lifestyle that caused this very issue. Before you comment on hindsight get your facts straight as yes, people did foresee it and tried to prompt changes! If you need more convincing I can show you threats and hate mail from the aforementioned and the comments re "spamming" when the subject came up. By the way where are all those Go Big BA's and all the cool kids that helped contribute to the mess this sport is in? How come no one blames them??? They were some of the first to cry out about the injustices of the new rules but ironically 99.9% are the same ones that flipped the bird to those trying to change the mentality and then never showed to a single meeting to help save the sport. Can't believe that either: I have those emails as well... Sorry guys but MDR and that gang dug this sport a hole we may never crawl out of.

down4glamis

Reaction
Those "B.A. baller, DGAF, Big Huck, WFO attitude/lifestyle" racers are still racing. 60 entries at BAP will tell the tale. Just because our class is 1450 and it brings out the "B.A. baller, DGAF, Big Huck, WFO attitude/lifestyle" does not mean we are not racers. also a bunch of those "B.A. baller, DGAF, Big Huck, WFO attitude/lifestyle" were attending event and meetings in the wake of the tragedy.

I think a lot of people would like to read those emails. it may be beating a dead horse to hash it up, but atleat it may quell some opinions.

Shred918

Reaction
I personally stayed away from MDR because I didnt like the mentality at those races. I have on so many occasions backed people off from the race course long before that accident happened and have also seen many other people do the same. Yes it is easy to point fingers after the fact but people standing on the race course are putting there life at risk....bottom line, no matter what kind of auto racing it is.

JPBart

Reaction
I can tell you a number of people attempted to intervene and make the point but a group of know it all, wisearse, dipthongs who had their head shoved so far up their own egos helped overrun common sense and aided MDR in creating the situation we have now. Emails were sent, conversations had and yes; tons of posts regarding this subject, the warnings etc... Some on this very site. All trying to appeal to the mindless throngs that followed the MDR lifestyle and the dorks that promulgated the B.A. baller, DGAF, Big Huck, WFO attitude/lifestyle that caused this very issue. Before you comment on hindsight get your facts straight as yes, people did foresee it and tried to prompt changes! If you need more convincing I can show you threats and hate mail from the aforementioned and the comments re "spamming" when the subject came up. By the way where are all those Go Big BA's and all the cool kids that helped contribute to the mess this sport is in? How come no one blames them??? They were some of the first to cry out about the injustices of the new rules but ironically 99.9% are the same ones that flipped the bird to those trying to change the mentality and then never showed to a single meeting to help save the sport. Can't believe that either: I have those emails as well... Sorry guys but MDR and that gang dug this sport a hole we may never crawl out of.

Unfortunately Jeff, you can't fix stupid and the crowd you are talking about is very far beyond fixing...

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
The crowd aren't the only people that can be labeled idiots out there. At the Budlight Dash a few years ago I was working a road crossing and while I was trying to tell a Border Patrol SUV to stop because a race car was coming, they thought they knew better and kept going. Apparently me holding my hands up yelling him to stop meant keep going. The race car barely missed him...

TJERGENSEN

Reaction
We also stayed away from that promoter, she was all about that wad of cash she had in her pocket, she didn't care about tha race or the racers, the few races we did do with them. they would allow pit racers all night ,both direction at start finish. we even overalled some of the races and came away with a bad taste.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
Reaction
This is a dead horse... no more comments needed.

Right as normal, Ramsey... I guess the emotions this whole thing brings up still blinds folks to reality or rational thought. This was not the first incident of casualties to spectators around motorsports racing...not even close to being the most tragic in reference to a the number of deaths either.

The thing that has changed in the last few decades is the ambulance chaser lawyers and individuals ("victims") who do not want to take responsibility for their actions or inaction; or see $$ as a way of easing their emotional pain over loss or even the physical pain they have endured....The $$ and lawyers have forever changed everything. The BLM is nearly frozen with fear of further litigation against them as well.

I am still in occasional contact with the Sloppy family...their lives are forever altered with lawyers still beating down their door. I just find myself thinking that this very thing could happen to me as a driver...it is unnerving. Victims all around.

9rocky

Reaction
Anyone have any updates on Sloppys moms 50million dollar lawsuit against the BLM?

Depositions are still being taken as recent as last week.

For the people that say that some of the things being said are Monday morning quarterrbacking, I personally know someone who told Patricia at the previous years event that "the rockpile is out of control, there are too many people and they are too close". The response he was given was that it was not their problem, it was the BLM's problem. So, something was destined to happen.

sqrly1776

Reaction
wow... Just wow...

Hindsight is always 20/20. Way to show your years of wisdom with some foresight to help fight the problem back then instead of turning your back on it, then crying about it from then on out.

Where were you before this happened to help your oh so precious sport when you all knew something was going to happen. Atleast some people tried to remedy the issues and even went as far as putting up snow fencing along the course to help keep spectators away. If any of your knew this was going to happen, why wouldnt you have helped put snow fencing up again? Why wouldnt you say something.

Oh but now... Now you guys all saw it coming... Wafj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awesome!!!!!!!!!

Wayne_Nosala

Reaction
Last SRP meeting, BLM had stated litigation was still pending, so I gather if BLM is still grinding
through the courts, So is MDR

Jerry

Reaction
It could have been me. I think I was 3 trucks in front of him. Broken part at the exact wrong second. 3 seconds before or after and the only ones who would have remembered this would have been Brett and whoever else was in the truck. This has happened at other races right? (Mexico)But wasn't that driver error. Sad event for sure. Reason and accountability all the way around. I went through too fast myself...... We all could have done better.