MDR update

Ryan_P

Reaction
I wonder how many of you commenting were even there that night. It's not something that I ever want to relive. Regardless of who was at fault.

down4glamis

Reaction
the accident looks pretty simple. he was in dust, they preran and had it marked that it was a straight through cut and couldnt see there were people there. Driving blind by driving by gps.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
the accident looks pretty simple. he was in dust, they preran and had it marked that it was a straight through cut and couldnt see there were people there. Driving blind by driving by gps.

Driving blind by the GPS? Did they even have GPS then?

Last edited by a moderator:

Slippery P

Reaction
We had some great racing with MDR. Unfortunetly what happend was exactly what is was, an accident! All the finger pointing needs to stop it doesnt do anyone any good. It seems that in this day and age everyone wants the freedom to make their own choices and do what they want. Although when it comes down to the required common sense and the ability to take responsibility for your actions everyone wants to point at somebody else. Its a real shame That everyone suffers because of it. Its not just in this situation, take a look around! R.I.P. all who were lost on this tragic day in offroad racing.

LRS1972

Reaction
wowza...almost 3 years..damn....still same fight...really????

How is your lawsuit going Travis? How is your wife's lawsuit? Any chance of you dropping the lawsuits and taking responsibility for your own actions of standing too close to an open race course?

bighad

Reaction
jeff my boy..nice of you to chime in...its moving along..the best i could wish is to never be in one brutha! tell you what..line up the interview whereas Brett Sloppy..not slopey..but sloppy..wants to get on camera and say how he knew all those people were there..cause he did..how he lost cotrol of his truck,,,cause he did..that his race was the single most important aspect of his life..even at the cost of others lives..and how his truck ended up off the race course as you say...and he..through his decisions..killed 8 people..then get MDR to say how they knew those people were there..but they were for profit..and uh..it would cost them money to do something about it...so it was profitable to deny any obligation to their paid race teams or their spectators...and get the BLm to say how the year prior they had sheriffs out there..and yet on that night they gave a permit and failed to do their job..yet its "different' when they write tickets..because after all..its about safety..and once you line all that up..I'll say...geeze..its none of their faults..nope..its all to blame on me...Im in dude..cause as it stands..not one of them will say anything! Oh no.....as you all do...blame the dead..disrespect their families...and then..after that..we can look at the lawsuits and see who..if anyone...has a lawsuit against who! It must be nice to be on the outside looking in...unaffected yet with so much BS to talk..you sure got a lot to say to me on the net dude..yet when I asked to share time with you one on one at Ocotillo..you said..."Its a big desert"..and told me to pound sand.....go watch TV dude..your next opinion will be shared tonight...hey..did you know they are trying to take guns away from us..just saying..oh..and Jv is in danger of being lost..so is Oceano dunes..and green sticker funds are being raped for the general fund..did you know any of that? Focus on your sport..not me dude...wake up..and if you do...well..guess we'll meet then after all...I am there...

BajaFand

Reaction
jeff my boy..nice of you to chime in...its moving along..the best i could wish is to never be in one brutha! tell you what..line up the interview whereas Brett Sloppy..not slopey..but sloppy..wants to get on camera and say how he knew all those people were there..cause he did..how he lost cotrol of his truck,,,cause he did..that his race was the single most important aspect of his life..even at the cost of others lives..and how his truck ended up off the race course as you say...and he..through his decisions..killed 8 people..then get MDR to say how they knew those people were there..but they were for profit..and uh..it would cost them money to do something about it...so it was profitable to deny any obligation to their paid race teams or their spectators...and get the BLm to say how the year prior they had sheriffs out there..and yet on that night they gave a permit and failed to do their job..yet its "different' when they write tickets..because after all..its about safety..and once you line all that up..I'll say...geeze..its none of their faults..nope..its all to blame on me...Im in dude..cause as it stands..not one of them will say anything! Oh no.....as you all do...blame the dead..disrespect their families...and then..after that..we can look at the lawsuits and see who..if anyone...has a lawsuit against who! It must be nice to be on the outside looking in...unaffected yet with so much BS to talk..you sure got a lot to say to me on the net dude..yet when I asked to share time with you one on one at Ocotillo..you said..."Its a big desert"..and told me to pound sand.....go watch TV dude..your next opinion will be shared tonight...hey..did you know they are trying to take guns away from us..just saying..oh..and Jv is in danger of being lost..so is Oceano dunes..and green sticker funds are being raped for the general fund..did you know any of that? Focus on your sport..not me dude...wake up..and if you do...well..guess we'll meet then after all...I am there...

I wasn't there that night, but I had been there every year prior. I remember myself and friends hanging out way down at the bottom of the Rockpile after the big right turn and watching the jump from far and we were commenting that one day a truck is going to swap out and go into the crowd because it's a sketchy section and the crowd was way too close.

So if you and your wife were hurt by Sloppy, why were YOU so close to the race course? You knew it was a sketchy section, that's why you went there, that's why everyone was there. But not everyone was too close to the race course, so why were you? I've seen the videos of the accident and from what I can tell Sloppy's truck never went farther than 50 feet of the race course when he wrecked.

The point is that (if I remember correctly) MDR rules state that it's legal to race within 50ft of the centerline of the race course, in theory making the course 100ft wide. So when Sloppy wrecked and didn't go 50ft off the course, then technically all of those fans were actually on the course. Anyways, what I'm getting at is it was a race, and in races crashes happen. That's why the drivers are wearing fire suits and helmets and have a roll cage to protect them. The drivers should have adequate room ANYWHERE on the race course to crash, the crowd didn't allow for that. In most any other form of racing there is plenty of room for the vehicles to wreck without harming fans.

I'm not trying to say that MDR, or BLM, or Sloppy shouldn't take any blame, but Sloppy deserves the least of the blame. Knowing that the crowd is crazy in that spot, yes he should have slowed down. But in theory, he shouldn't have to. Fans should never be impeding the pace of the race. The only reason he should have slowed down was to save the truck to finish the race, he shouldn't have to worry about fans being too close. But I do understand that desert racing is completely different than any other form of motorsports and that people will always be too close to the course, I've been guilty of it myself many years ago when I first got into this sport.

aiiraciing

Reaction
I've seen the videos of the accident and from what I can tell Sloppy's truck never went farther than 50 feet of the race course when he wrecked.
I was there that night directly across from where Brett landed and don't really want to get to into this conversation, but I have to comment on this. Brett's truck NEVER fully left the "two tracks" on the race course, technically the rear driverside was still over the course when it came to a stop. Its not like his truck left the course and came back either

If your gonna stand on a live race course take some personal responsibility for your actions, not blame it on others

frankh

Reaction
I was there that night directly across from where Brett landed and don't really want to get to into this conversation, but I have to comment on this. Brett's truck NEVER fully left the "two tracks" on the race course, technically the rear driverside was still over the course when it came to a stop. Its not like his truck left the course and came back either

If your gonna stand on a live race course take some personal responsibility for your actions, not blame it on others

Again from someone that was racing that day you are 100% correct and before the race are prerunner had a problems. Vapor locking and it died right there. It had a ribbon banner with sign's saying do not cross race in progress. If you look at at least one of the videos you can see it on the ground.

I came into that section way hot because I blew a shift on the start and just got passed the guy before the left hand turn. I slowed up because our car can't really hit that jump like trucks.

Pee Wee

Reaction

Been a while since I've read some of your wisdom. Wow, just wow.

Edgmon Motorsports

Reaction
You are the f*ckin idiot for standing that close! You made the decision to stand there on your own will and should suffer the fullest consequences. I can't stand people who sue for this stupid stuff when it's their own fault. That's like sueing the govt if a car hits you while walking across the highway, or sueing if you get sunburnt cuz they are not protecting you. Take responsibility for your own actions. Accidents do happen, learn from your mistakes and move on. Don't put the burden on the rest of us racers.

pdailey

Racer
Reaction

Please go stand on a freeway. Report back on how that goes for you....

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
You are the f*ckin idiot for standing that close! You made the decision to stand there on your own will and should suffer the fullest consequences. I can't stand people who sue for this stupid stuff when it's their own fault. That's like sueing the govt if a car hits you while walking across the highway, or sueing if you get sunburnt cuz they are not protecting you. Take responsibility for your own actions. Accidents do happen, learn from your mistakes and move on. Don't put the burden on the rest of us racers.

Well said.

bighad

Reaction
10 pages of same old crap. I wish we all could put this much energy into unifying the sport. My opinions are mere jibberish at best. There is the accident... which brought forth government review...and then there us the lawsuits..which brought forth the people directly involved. One caused change..one caused no change. Just litigation. The finger pointing... well.. that just brings out the immaturity of us as a whole further exposing the unified eco Nazis of our weakness. Were so busy inner fighting that we become easy targets to further their grab. Sad...it is.

Pee Wee

Reaction
10 pages of same old crap. I wish we all could put this much energy into unifying the sport. My opinions are mere jibberish at best. There is the accident... which brought forth government review...and then there us the lawsuits..which brought forth the people directly involved. One caused change..one caused no change. Just litigation. The finger pointing... well.. that just brings out the immaturity of us as a whole further exposing the unified eco Nazis of our weakness. Were so busy inner fighting that we become easy targets to further their grab. Sad...it is.

It is sad that we have to protect ourselves from people who aren't smart enough to step off the tracks when the train is bearing down on them. Stop making yourself sound like some kind of public land rights hero.

mx_junky

Reaction

Sorry bub, but it's money hungry suing people like you who hurt open lands the most. The easiest way to avoid paying out litigation is closing the area down. And if uneducated people like you are going to be the ones who stand up publicly for offroader's rights, we might as well kiss the deserts good bye now. Google for the most recent land closures and then google those names again and you'll find deadly accidents and lawsuits just prior to land closure. The government can barely fund these lands as it is let alone giving a hand out to everybody who goes and kills themself on the lands.