Media Questions ???

ProLite13

Does anyone know what the reason or benefit to covering the top 3 only is, whether it be TV, Radio, Zines, Online, etc ?

It just seems like there is so much more of the sport that could be exposed, creating opportunities and ultimately growth for everyone involved.

DP:cool:

ProLite13

Sorry! Top 3 on any given race day. I know there are a lot of top teams and drivers as a whole out there but on race day or each event the focus is primarily on the top 3 in each class in each race rarely covering the rest of the field or even top 5 to 10 IMO or as Paul Harvey put it THE REST OF THE STORY.

The top 3 in points should always be covered and the top 3 in the race should be covered agreed, but what about THE REST OF THE STORY. If it was a one lap race it would make more sense to me but lap after lap the same story over and over is redundant.

The whole Monster/Rockstar/Bullydog/Etc... coverage part is obvious to me being a series sponsor and so forth but beyond that Hype is there a method to the madness behind the scenes.

This is not a trick question honestly is there a benefit to marketing or the media by doing it this way what am I missing here besides the rest of the story on race day?

I know I'm not the only one who's questioning this maybe a bit naieve maybe a bit ignorant maybe the one with enough balls to stand up and ask why?

baja619

Air Time for any publication has a set value to the publishers. Weather it is in a print magazine / newspaper or up on the news section of your favorite websites, they most likely dont have the time / space / ability to go more in depth. They may list complete race results, but if you want the "rest of the story", at least in our sport, it is ultimately up to that team to capitalize on the events that went down.

For starters, having a good spokesperson to be the voice of your race program is a important strategy. That or grown a huge mullet.

ryant35

I may be bias, but I think still photographs on the web & in print is very important.

baja619

absolutely. I would think 99% of people on the internet enjoy viewing images in conjunction with the article. The rest, no offense, are likely blind.

CHASIT1

I may be bias, but I think still photographs on the web & in print is very important.
Yes this is very true and of all the tracks and races I've been to before the appreciation of the media has never been so apparent than in CRANDON... other series and tracks please take note. These are the most hospitable and appreciative people I have ever seen or met. They are actually glad you came to cover their event and make sure you have everything needed to endure a long day on the track ie: restrooms, drinks and food .The people of CRANDON are AWESOME! Thank You CRANDON..see you on Labor Day week.:cool:
Sorry this was a little off track but the point was Still Photographs are very Important and the people that take them.

ProLite13

Air Time for any publication has a set value to the publishers. Weather it is in a print magazine / newspaper or up on the news section of your favorite websites, they most likely dont have the time / space / ability to go more in depth. They may list complete race results, but if you want the "rest of the story", at least in our sport, it is ultimately up to that team to capitalize on the events that went down.

For starters, having a good spokesperson to be the voice of your race program is a important strategy. That or grown a huge mullet.
Agreed a good spokesperson could be a key but with the budget most teams are working with is this the first or last person to be afforded?

Please break down into layman's terms "air time for any publication has a set value to the publishers":)

ProLite13

Yes I agree with you here, unfortunately photos and a website are not enough anymore but with a little more exposure through the other media outlets there would be more value to that as well.

baja619

In "laymans terms" they will only cover the main headlines because that is all the room /time they can dedicate to the event. In light of a major story that developed from the particular event, they would expand on that are divert to a whole other article.

The spokesperson does not need to be a pro, but it just helps to have the experience and knowledge backing you up. The pre existing network (+ experience) that is in place is what you are actually paying for.

For smaller teams and smaller budgets get an intelligent and sharp individual, perhaps a family member or good friend, to start doing write ups / race reports / and other PR.

If they got a good set of gears spinning in their head, than they should be able to hit the ground running and replicate what works.

Kartman

Media Goon
Sorry to be blunt but people that finish in the back of the pack is not news and people really dont want read/watch it. The exception is if you do something extraordinary.

ProLite13

Sorry to be blunt but people that finish in the back of the pack is not news and people really dont want read/watch it. The exception is if you do something extraordinary.

To be blunt I hope you don't think that this thread is about me as an individual because its not. Believe it or not its about the sport as a whole I'm trying to look outside of the box here reaching to see how everyone could benefit more from expanded coverage and exposure even you with your photos.

The back of the pack is one thing but when your racing hard and you finish in the top 5 or 10 for that matter thats not the back of the pack now is it.

There are so many personalities and stories out there to be heard and IMO there are to many bad @$$ race programs and racers on the side lines this year due to the lack of coverage/exposure.

So the question remains what is the benefit to the sport by covering the top 3 only?

ProLite13

If they got a good set of gears spinning in their head, than they should be able to hit the ground running and replicate what works.
Good point this is where some have gone wrong though, by over selling their programs and not being able to produce results or ROI for the companies interested in the marketing opportunity that is outside of the regular box. Ultimately those companies lose confidence in their investment as a whole.

Are we replicating what works or is this all we know?

The question remains what is the benefit to the sport by covering the top 3 only?

If NASCAR only covered the top 3 where do you think it would be today? Probably stuck in Crandon.

Junior

Score does not "provide coverage" nor does NASCAR I don't think. The put on events and get paid by sponsors, advertisers and entry fees. I am not in the biz but I imagine that mags or online sites provide the coverage they think will sell their site or mag not what will "benefit the sport".

ProLite13

Score does not "provide coverage" nor does NASCAR I don't think. The put on events and get paid by sponsors, advertisers and entry fees. I am not in the biz but I imagine that mags or online sites provide the coverage they think will sell their site or mag not what will "benefit the sport".
This is wrong on so many levels.:confused::confused:

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
Good point this is where some have gone wrong though, by over selling their programs and not being able to produce results or ROI for the companies interested in the marketing opportunity that is outside of the regular box. Ultimately those companies lose confidence in their investment as a whole.

Are we replicating what works or is this all we know?

The question remains what is the benefit to the sport by covering the top 3 only?

If NASCAR only covered the top 3 where do you think it would be today? Probably stuck in Crandon.

We can't provide the coverage if it's not out there. I can only speak from personal experience but I don't always have time while covering an event to seek out interesting stories behind the scenes. Nearly every team that competes has many stories of miraculous last minute thrashes, incredible circumstances and stories of hard work and sacrifice. Race coverage generally needs to first inform and then entertain.

BCG1

The back of the pack is one thing but when your racing hard and you finish in the top 5 or 10 for that matter thats not the back of the pack now is it.

DP:cool:[/QUOTE]

I guess that would depend on how many are the class, wouldn't it?