Medical Screw Manufaturer

movindirt

Wham Spore
Reaction
Okay I know there is at least one person on this board in this industry. I have some questions about getting parts for Veterinary use.

Wondering if parts are scraped if they don't meet exact specs but are still usable? And if so could these parts be purchased for other non-human uses or must they be scraped?

mattb

Reaction
What kind of implants/surgery do you want to do? I'm in the spine implant industry.

movindirt

Wham Spore
Reaction
Looking for surgical fasteners @ a discounted because they don't meet specs and can't be used in human medicine. Is there even such a thing?

My wife is a Veterinarian and I was just hoping to find a way to lower the cost of some surgeries. Just sucks that a good dog or cat has to be put down because the owner can't afford a screw that cost more then any bolt on an F1 car.. I understand why the stuff cost what it does, it just would be cool if there were parts that now are going to scarp that could be used instead in Veterinary medicine. Could be a win for both sides.

5racer

Reaction
i would think stainless would work for animals,i have a brother inlaw thats a vet and he has some off the shelf stuff he uses for horses i make the hernia clamps for him and there far from being aproved by any medical institution

mattb

Reaction
I think the issue that you'll run into is the fact that you'll need such small implants to work with dogs or cats. If you were working with larger mammals, then "human sized" implants could be useful. There's a slight chance that you could contact a manufacturer and offer to buy their "out dated" implants and use them. Usually, the packaging is what expires, not the implant. With proper inspection and handling, I'd use them on my pet.

FlyHiFlyLo

Ace Mechanic
Reaction
Oh from the title I thought you were talking about Obama... LOL

Seriously... What kind of screws do you need? We can make a spec and I can get them made to that spec no problem. 316 stainless probally.

idealer

Reaction
my buddys box is like 1500 a screw and 250k for the tools to install them i think the would be to big for dogs & cats...from what i've seen