Mendeola help please

eric widen

Reaction
I may purchase a car that has a mendeola md4 and a jamar shifter. I have not yet drove the car but the owner tells me reverse pops out after a couple seconds. He says there is no grinding in reverse just a thud when the gear slips. There are no problems in any others gears. I was told the culprit is the jamar shifter and that rebuilding tbe jamar or buying a proam would solve the problem. I am new to these transaxles and cars as I have had utvs and trucks. Any advise on this would be appreciated.

drofmij

Reaction
I just took a md5 in for service, a chipped tooth on the pinion and its almost 3k to refresh. Transaxles are splash lubrication, if parts are floating around, it can get expensive real quick. Especially if you start getting into 1st and second. There is a detent in the trans to hold reverse in gear. If there is slop in the shifter it could be not allowing it to be going all the way in to catch the detent. Or could be a problem with a detent. Has he had it serviced recently or ever? Does he have a receipt for it? If he does I would call that trans guy, he is the expert. Also I would call jamar and talk to them about their shifter. My proam was a little sloppy and it made it hard to find reverse and shift but not pop out of gear. I get scared every time I take a trans to the builder to freshened up, cause you just never know how much its going to cost. It would have to be a good deal or a car I really wanted, or I would pass on it. If its that good of a deal if he doesn't have a receipt for the trans you might as well plan on pulling it and having it gone through. You definitely don't want to be in the desert or even worse the dunes with a broken trans.
fyi a 2d is notorious for a weak reverse gear. What I have seen from advice from others is drive it like it doesn't have reverse. Is this a desert car or sand car? Whats it run for power?

Reaction
I was taught that reverse is only for backing off the trailer. It's a tiny gear, even with stock VW power.

Good answer above.

drofmij

Reaction
A desert car. Chevy 4.3.
Nice, at least its not crazy v8 horse power. Mine was after about 1400 race miles behind an ecotec and it is a 5.43 r&p which turns out it a weaker one because of the ratio. The rest of the gears looked great. These are good transmissions, just somethings you don't do. The ones I have read about breaking reverse was from getting stuck. I would try to get more details, like history and call an expert. Good luck

eric widen

Reaction
I call a reputable shop and explained to them what it was doing. The answer was it could be the shifter not set up correctly or reverse could need to be replaced. He said theres a couple things you should do if reverse is bad like replace other normal wear and tear parts like syncros etc and estimated $1000 to replace said parts including labor. He has had car for a year and only took it out a couple times and it did it since he had it. He is selling to fund/make room for a class 12 car. No other reported problems with any other gears. It stays in gear if he goes very slow in reverse. I was hoping this may have been an easier question or a more common symptom that people have experienced.

Reaction
I think a tooth is missing off the reverse gear, and that you should budget for that. If it's just the shifter: Bonus!

But saying it is a shifter adjustment reminds me of the ads that say "A/C just needs a recharge."

Good luck!

eric widen

Reaction
Ok so i bought the car. Reverse pops out of gear but not immediately. I reverse gingerly so i don’t break anything. After about 20’ or so reverse pops out. If i hold the shifter it grinds when it comes out of gear and i let off immediately. This may be my ignorance but if reverse was missing a tooth i would think it would pop out much sooner and be a bit more consistent than it is. Again it is a jamar super shifter and the linkage is set up so i cannot adjust its length. Also, when shifting into reverse it doesn’t have the same clunk feeling the other gears have when going into 2nd and 4th gear. I also noticed 4th gear has a little space between the linkage nut and the shifter box, 2nd has less space and reverse slams the nut against the shifter box. Any thoughts?

drofmij

Reaction
Ok so i bought the car. Reverse pops out of gear but not immediately. I reverse gingerly so i don’t break anything. After about 20’ or so reverse pops out. If i hold the shifter it grinds when it comes out of gear and i let off immediately. This may be my ignorance but if reverse was missing a tooth i would think it would pop out much sooner and be a bit more consistent than it is. Again it is a jamar super shifter and the linkage is set up so i cannot adjust its length. Also, when shifting into reverse it doesn’t have the same clunk feeling the other gears have when going into 2nd and 4th gear. I also noticed 4th gear has a little space between the linkage nut and the shifter box, 2nd has less space and reverse slams the nut against the shifter box. Any thoughts?
It's possible that that is not allowing it to travel all the way and catching the detent to keep it in reverse.
I would also drive it, get the trans warm. Elevate the front n drain the oil into a clean pan. Run a magnet thought it n see what you come up with. There is a magnet in the trans tbat should pick up most of it. See what is in the oil. If there is debris in the oil it can ruin a lot of parts in there. Then out new oil in it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

eric widen

Reaction
I removed the linkage from the shifter and manually shifted in reverse and still pops out so trans it is. I have the motor pulled and am working on removing the axles. I have never done this so anyone with super secrets tips let me know. I also found this. Are the axles too long? What would cause this?

Attachments

drofmij

Reaction
I removed the linkage from the shifter and manually shifted in reverse and still pops out so trans it is. I have the motor pulled and am working on removing the axles. I have never done this so anyone with super secrets tips let me know. I also found this. Are the axles too long? What would cause this?
Make sure you mark your axles for rotation. So they go back in the same way they came out. If you flip them, they will break. To see if the axles are too long. Pull the shocks with the axles still on. Move the are up until the axle is straight across from trans, level. Put the outer cap on. Slide axle back n forth. Should be at least 1/4 " . There is a good article on cv's on outfront's website.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Pretty normal wear for those axles. Back in the 5 car days wee had axles that were counterbored on the ends for a nylon button to prevent that kind of wear.

eric widen

Reaction
Okay so it is normal for the axle to rub on the cap and create metal shavings in the cv? I just what to make sure.

drofmij

Reaction
Okay so it is normal for the axle to rub on the cap and create metal shavings in the cv? I just what to make sure.
It is normal to have some contact with it. It floats in there. Axles that are flat on the ends will do that more than ones that are rounded on the end. Did you check the length with the shocks off?

eric widen

Reaction
One of the Allen bolts on the inner cv stripped. I’ve been battling that for hours with no luck yet

Fourstroker

Reaction
One of the Allen bolts on the inner cv stripped. I’ve been battling that for hours with no luck yet
Try a 10mm Allen socket and bang it in there. Slightly larger than the 3/8. Should do the trick

eric widen

Reaction
Well i got it out lol. The inner cv’s look good after cleaning so onto the outters. I have Tatum mid board hubs. Should i clean and inspect while they are still in the hub? I don’t know how to take them out seems like they are pressed in. Gosh i am really needy with this car sorry for all the questions i am learning.