Menzies to Nissan and Dakar with Renault?

spalind

Reaction
As much as I would love that and as much as my heart says "oooo...they do use the word Frontier a lot in that promo, they are covering up the front bumper a lot and Nissan is about to introduce the next generation of the Frontier" my brain tells me it's just coincidence and my gut tells me Nissan still has little to no interest in pushing off-road sports in general via marketing. Maybe that has changed with the new Titan and now new Frontier to push but...

As far as a Renault Dakar run for Bryce? No shot. He is there to compete at the pointy end of the field and Renault/Nissan have no corporate rally-raid effort to speak of

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Dirty Harry

Reaction
Between there being no grille features in the promo and the use of "New Frontier" I assume that Nissan is sponsoring Bryce's short course effort. They do have a history there.

I doubt that he will race a Nissan at Dakar though. If Nissan sponsors his TT program I might change my tune... It is fun to speculate though and I do hope we see Nissan getting more involved in off-road motorsports!

spalind

Reaction
Between there being no grille features in the promo and the use of "New Frontier" I assume that Nissan is sponsoring Bryce's short course effort. They do have a history there.

I doubt that he will race a Nissan at Dakar though. If Nissan sponsors his TT program I might change my tune... It is fun to speculate though and I do hope we see Nissan getting more involved in off-road motorsports!
OK....its not fun to play with my emotions like this guys...

Dirty Harry

Reaction
OK....its not fun to play with my emotions like this guys...
If it isn't sponsored by Nissan, whomever is putting this together probably should have used a different keyword!

In the Snap-on video Bryce just did, his truck and his driving suit are branded as Ford.

In the preview for the ghost town jump you see Ford on the team shirts too but they make an effort not to show the grille of the truck in the racing footage.

spalind

Reaction
And if it is Nissan backing him now...its not Nissan North America, or at least Nissan North America's motorsports marketing head guy denies any involvement.

GEO_DXB

Reaction
Nissan and Renault are not into rally raids. All of the cars you see are non-factory efforts and are just labelled as such. South African Nissans and European privateer Renaults are just lookalikes

spalind

Reaction
Nissan and Renault are not into rally raids. All of the cars you see are non-factory efforts and are just labelled as such. South African Nissans and European privateer Renaults are just lookalikes
Exactly why I said that regardless of the pipe dream of Bryce being sponsored by Nissan in short course, there is a 0.00000% chance of a Bryce/Nissan Dakar effort.

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
Mini... and why not? He's getting to grips with it and at this moment, why change vehicles?

Bricoop

Reaction
I don't know if that is the case. I think that the drivers, navigators, support team, and terrain have just as much to do with Peugeot's success last year.
I like your optimism, but they Kicked a$$ last year with a 1st year car and now they're building new ones (assuredly faster ones) plus any improvements they make to last year's field of cars (now owned by PH Sport). They absolutely smoked the field through the first half of the Dakar 2016.

I'm curious why you mention terrain? '16 seemed to be more rally style of roads which *should* have benefited a short travel 4wd.

Dirty Harry

Reaction
I'm curious why you mention terrain? '16 seemed to be more rally style of roads which *should* have benefited a short travel 4wd.
I agree that rally roads should benefit 4WD cars, but I think that they helped rally DRIVERS Sebestian Loeb (and Mikko Hirvonen too for that matter) more than any specific vehicle. The entire race in 2016 was basically decided on one stage in Fiambala (Stage 10), where Peterhansel gapped the field by nearly an hour. Most of the other stages were decided by just minutes or seconds. That doesn't give talented raid drivers and navigators much opportunity to stand out from the crowd. In past years going through the Atacama for days, a five minute lead in the overall standings was nothing.

spalind

Reaction
I agree that rally roads should benefit 4WD cars, but I think that they helped rally DRIVERS Sebestian Loeb (and Mikko Hirvonen too for that matter) more than any specific vehicle. The entire race in 2016 was basically decided on one stage in Fiambala (Stage 10), where Peterhansel gapped the field by nearly an hour. Most of the other stages were decided by just minutes or seconds. That doesn't give talented raid drivers and navigators much opportunity to stand out from the crowd. In past years going through the Atacama for days, a five minute lead in the overall standings was nothing.
But Peterhansel is not a Rally driver...at least not in his primary background right? He is a bike guy....

Dirty Harry

Reaction
But Peterhansel is not a Rally driver...at least not in his primary background right? He is a bike guy....
Yes but It was the one off piste stage in the dunes where SPH won the rally. I think he is the best driver in rally raid, followed by Nasser.

So regardless of vehicle the best drivers finished one and two.

Bricoop

Reaction
Yes but It was the one off piste stage in the dunes where SPH won the rally. I think he is the best driver in rally raid, followed by Nasser.

So regardless of vehicle the best drivers finished one and two.

I thought '17 was planning on going back to more of the rough stuff?

Dirty Harry

Reaction
I thought '17 was planning on going back to more of the rough stuff?
They are going new places, which is great. Time will tell how much off piste terrain there is, just like North America in South America it seems like the dry desert terrain and dunes are more to the west (like in Chile and Peru).

JDDurfey

Reaction
I have been near a lot of the area they will be racing in Bolivia. There won't be much "off piste" there. High altitude roads, up and down mountains on twisty roads. Very dry, and very high. They will hit 14,000 plus feet for sure.

Short Bus

Reaction
ASO posted some photos from recon for 2017. It looks like they found some dunes in Bolivia that look promising.