metal cut off saws / chopsaw

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I didn't see the price on that but it looks expensive. I use a good 'ole Harbor Freight chop saw. I also have a Rigid chop saw on my work truck. The Rigid has a bigger motor and doesn't bog down as much as the HF. For smaller tube 2"> the HF works fine.

stoprez2006

Reaction
I also have a Harbor Frieghter. Does a good job but the vice is kinda crappy.

LIMITLESS

Reaction
I use both types of saws and highly recommend the metal cut off saw. It cuts like a hot knife through butter kinda noisy but quick. The one downside is unlike the typical chop saw you have to use the saws vise to secure the material properly cause you do not want it so catch the metal and sent shrapnal through the air, bad things happen to good people. Also you cant clamp the material on a bend so a chop saw would be more practical for that. But i would recommend getting one if you could!!!

Chase 2

Reaction
The cold saw is the choice of professionals. Garage builders use the chop saw 'cuz they are cheep and work well enough to get by for building sick "pre-runners".

garage_runner81

Reaction
thanks guys... yea im thinking of getting one. only thing would be having to clamp everything like limitless said. i do alot of pipe work for car intakes and what not..

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Right now I'm just using a compound miter saw with an abrasive metal cutting blade, works OK, but the blade speed is kinda high. . .

. . .not a fan of the HF stuff. . .I'm thinking of getting the DeWalt chop saw because I can't afford a Dake cold cut saw and if I'm gonna spend the money for a metal blade I might as well save and get a Dake cold cut saw. . .

ZTFab

Reaction
the cold saw is the choice of professionals. Garage builders use the chop saw 'cuz they are cheep and work well enough to get by for building sick "pre-runners".
lol :D

actionj

Reaction
I have the metal cut off saw and love, it same blade for 3 years. clean cuts and no sparks.

garage_runner81

Reaction
ive seen the evolution metal saw for $250... doesnt seem bad.. i have a dewalt chop saw right now... i would like a cold saw but thats alot more

diirk

Reaction
I have a Craftsman chopsaw and it works well. I usually buy the replacement blades at HF though.

HardCharger81

Reaction
I have the DeWalt with the steel blade. Works awesome. Alittle pricey. But no sparks, and the cut quality is really good.

mpower

Reaction
ive been thinking of the evolution multipourpose saw also . id like a expensive cold cut saw too but at this price the evo saw dosent seem too bad and a lot cleaner than cutters we currently use. anyone know where i can try it out .
im interested in how it would cut tube and 3/16 plate. i like doing intake work also but it seems like if i was cutting some 2.5 alum tube it would tear it up and distort it. so who has one i can try out?

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
i wish they would come out with a double mitre version like they have for wood working i,d buy one for my shop , we do a job right now that requires a double compound cut on bend , currently doing on the mill with a swivel vice and a sine plate that the vice is bolted too.

garage_runner81

Reaction
mpower - i knw they have the evolution at tools-r-us in monclair. (dnt knw if u can try it out).. a salesmen there said they recommend the Milwaukee metal cut off... its about $450

ZTFab

Reaction
mpower - i knw they have the evolution at tools-r-us in monclair. (dnt knw if u can try it out).. a salesmen there said they recommend the Milwaukee metal cut off... its about $450
I have the Milwaukee dry cut saw and I bought it from Tools-R-Us. I've had it for about 4 years and it works great. The base and vise are much sturdier than the other brands that I have seen.

I really wish that manufacturers would build a compound miter saw for metal cutting. Haberle makes a compound cold saw but it is big $$$. It seems that the woodworking guys get all the trick tools and we're left in the dark with technology and capability.

Here is a video link to the Haberle H90 Compound cold saw.

http://www.industrysaw.com/images/Haberle_H90_Cold_Saw_Video.wmv

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
I have the Milwaukee dry cut saw and I bought it from Tools-R-Us. I've had it for about 4 years and it works great. The base and vise are much sturdier than the other brands that I have seen.

I really wish that manufacturers would build a compound miter saw for metal cutting. Haberle makes a compound cold saw but it is big $$$. It seems that the woodworking guys get all the trick tools and we're left in the dark with technology and capability.

Here is a video link to the Haberle H90 Compound cold saw.

http://www.industrysaw.com/images/Haberle_H90_Cold_Saw_Video.wmv

thanx dude ( forgot your name :eek:)

nice saw , i bet 8K or better , i may have to to build one

randy1123

Reaction
I have the STEEL 2 "Raptor" from:
http://www.vansantent.com/Saws/evolution_chop_saw.htm

Best thing I ever bought, (except for my mail order bride)
I still have a "chop" saw with an abrasive blade, anyone want to buy it? I will never use that thing again.
This Raptor saw cut clean and little burs, and more accurate. Don't hesitate, you will kick yourself for not getting this sooner, especially if you plan to make a lot of cuts.