Metallica Icon

tim_krueger

Reaction
That was a great show!!! Snoop was off, but Avril rocked! It's hard to listen to another artist cover musical perfection, but no one did it better than Limp Bizkit, (hope it's recorded somewhere). Metallica's music is an ultimate motivator. Their complete catalog has always been present on every desert trip I've been on, weather it's listening to Metallica A to Z on ninety something-point-whatever in the high desert over new years, or from our thrashed and scratched CD's, it's always loud. It was great to here some of the're tracks on Never Lift, hopefully we'll get one on DP2.
"Were an icon but we sure aint done yet!" It was great to here that, and they sound as good as they've ever been. Long live the band!

blind655

Reaction
yeh some of the songs are up on kazaa already.. I liked the show, I have been a metallica fan for a long time and have all their albums etc etc. It's really great to see MTV have a show dedicated to a band like metallica(nice break from all the pop crap they have 24/7) that revolutionized metal and as was said in the show "perfected it". Snoop..well i like him but he didn’t do a very good job at all up on stage, avril was better then I thought she would be, i didn’t get to see limp perform, but after listening to it they did well also, Aaron Lewis did a great job I thought with "nothing else matters. Its great too see a band like this hold up for20 years and still be known as the best of its genre

later
Mike

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
No MetallicA on dp2... sorry.

I am a huge fan myself and watched the Icon show. Limp did a fantastic job. And I DID love Snoop.. it was totally his style. (love snoop songs in the first place)

MetallicA has been a motivator for me for a long time. In my opinion in 200 years they will look at it like we look at Mozart today. Certain songs have this perfection in it..not much anyone could do to make it better and it showed today when different artist played MetallicA tunes (each influenced by there own style) but non felt quite right.

Yes Never Lift runs Fuel and so does one of the Crustys. If the opportunity will open, dpX will sport a MetallicA song.

JeffS

Reaction
Sweeeet !!

I liked the "If you're happy and you know it" song... I wonder if that will be on Kazaa? LOL

martininsocal

Reaction
Klaus- you said it best. Avril was alright, but it just didn't sound right with a woman singing it. Snoop wasn't. Sorry, the only time (c)rap and metal have ever gone together was with Run DMC and Aerosmith. Bizcuit was cool, but no one does their music better than them.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Not to bash Metallica, but I use to be a huge fan of theirs until I watched their VH1 "Behind the Scenes" where they profiled the history of the band. The problem I have with them is that they have been some of the most vocal opponents of Napstar, Kazaa etc. and actually were the first to file a lawsuit against some of the users of Napstar. Thats fine if thats how they feel, but if you watch the show, you see them talking about how when they first started out, they handed out boot-legged copies of their tapes because they couldn't afford to buy official copies from their record label and studio. Furthermore, they encouraged their fans to bootleg even more tapes and hand them out for free so that their music could get in the hands of an even larger audience.

This is essentially what Napstar, Kazaa and the others services do; they allow people free access to music. They also allow upcoming bands a venue to try and distribute their music to a larger audience. So why was it okay for Metallica to do it, but now not okay for other bands to do it? I believe them to be hypocrites and refuse to listen/support their music.

BTW, you die hard Metallica fans should check out Metallica Symphonica (SP?) which is a symphony that plays all their songs. Awesome CD if you guys haven't already heard it.

redline

Reaction
not to be off subject but jillian barbri looked &*#$ing hot in the school girl out fit. I thought limp bizkit did a pretty good job. I didnt get to see the whole thing. i came into it when jim brewer was on stage. the happy song was tight

MikeLeung

Reaction
JrSyko is right on the money. I've been a Metallica fan from Kill'em All. Back then they were hard core metal. My first Metallica concert, James Hetfield told all the real fans to kick the crap out of the posers.

Even though they are complete sell outs...I still love there music. I guess as I got older...so did they.

martininsocal

Reaction
Just out of curiosity, how is it the same when someone gives away THEIR property vs. someone giving away copyrighted property? If a band gives away their music for free to get their name out there, the BAND is making a conscientious decission to forego those funds for a better return in the future. With pirate programs, the Bands have no say in how their material is used or given away. I don't see the issue being the same.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Martin,

Doesn't surprise me you disagree, but if you re-read my post, you will see that I stated they encouraged their fans to bootleg CD's in addition to the band bootlegging their own copies. If you look at the law, in most cases, the bands don't own the rights to their music, the music labels and the producers do and this was the case with Metallica. So they were still "screwing" somebody else out of a profit, be it themselves or the music labels, and that is their complaint with free Internet sources; it screws the musicians out of money. Face it, they are hypocrites whether you agree with it or not.

Ryno

Reaction
Jr-

Handing out bootlegged copies, and homemade copies of music is the usual, I think you know that being in San Diego, with all the bands that have taken off from here. The difference is that Lars saw $$$$ slipping away, and got scared. He went after Napster to send a message/ get the $$$ back. Notice that James and Kurt never said a damn thing about it, Lars was always shoving his face in the camera lens. Point is, Lars did it, not Metallica. Kinda like Michael Jackson owns the Beatles music. What are you doing for a career?? Might I suggest a lawyer, litigator, etc.

The show rocked, (c)rap has no Biznazz being in with Metallica. I actually turned the channel for 5 minutes. Limp was great, so was Aaron. Saint Anger should be another disk to add to the collection.

Ryno

martininsocal

Reaction
OK jr. in that sense(in a closed market) you may be right, but look at it in an open market. Take Bruce Meyers for instance. The man invented the fiberglass Dune Buggy. He spentthe money, went through multiple refinements to make it useable by the masses, created the original molds, all with his own bucks. Set up a marketing plan, came up with cost recovery figures, etc... and started to sell his product. What happened? When teh item became so successful, other folks decided it would be coll to sell buggies to, so they popped molds off his car and sold the hell out of them. Bruce couldn't sell at the costs they were because he had to recover all the R&D work, etc... So he goes broke when his product stops selling. Sure, he can sue all the little start up companies selling copies of his product, but you are talking about over 100 manufacturers, some simply popping bodies out of their home garage. He doesn't have the money to pursue them all, so he gets pissed and fades away. Sounds Fair, right?
CD sales by the music industry have dropped over 50% in the last 3 years. Blank CD sales have gone up 43% in that same time frame. You don't have to figure far to figure it out. But there are other things the industry can do to screw with the consumer. How many of you remember cassette tapes? What if they only released new music on that format to stop the mass replicating of CD burners? Think about it.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
The problem is that when copying from a cd to a tape you degrade the contents quality with each generation you are copying. Copying a CD to CD makes an identical copy without generation loss. Copying a CD to MP3 over the internet back to a CD degrades the quality only slightly. Also the effort put into copying a MP3 over the net is slim. I do a search in my peer-2-peer file sharing software and get what I am looking for instantly then minutes later I am listening to it without ever leaving my house. Copying a CD to tape takes one person buying it and a second person to slowly copy it.

Also one single CD may get copied hundreds of times over the net while may only get copied a couple of times to a cassette.

In my opinion there is a huge difference. Same applies to copying a design. Whoever copies it still has to come up with materials and labor to duplicate that fiberglass body or whatever is being ripped off.

Plain and simple sharing music over the internet is stealing intellectual content and the rightful owner has every right to be upset about it.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
You guys all raise valid points, but the fact of the matter is they are hypocrites. If free music over the Internet was such a bad thing for musicians, then why are there those who support it? Believe it or not, there is a correlation to musicians' songs being downloaded on the Internet and an increase in their CD's sales. Think about it, how many times have you downloaded a song, realized you really liked it, then went out and bought it? The drop in CD sales has been attributed to the skyrocketing cost of CD's due to the enormous cost of producing them. Its not un-common for the production of one artist's album to run in excess of one million dollars to produce. The music labels aren't going to eat those costs, they are simply going to pass it off to the consumer, just like in every other industry. That is why the White Stripes are really on to something because they just produced their new album for $10,000 and thus why I was just able to buy in for $9.95 instead of the usual $18.95.

drtdevil93

Reaction
off subject, but the white stries freakin rule!!! the second song on elephant- black math, dude that song rocks so hard. ive heard the dude and his sister are the only band members, they just record multiple guitar tracks. also, white stripes made it clear in the album that no computer editing was used, and everything you hear, is the same as it was recorded.

erik

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
let me start up my kazaa and look for White Stripes... OOOPS. I ment let me run down the store and buy a a record

tedmales

Reaction
the reason record sales are down is that there has not been a good album made in a long time. the record companies keep pumping out teen crap. i do not own any backdoor boys cd's. i like to look at britany and christina, but would not buy one of thier records. i might sound old, but give me some good rock. i have not heard any of these new rock bands, but i am not sold. maybe i will use kazza to find the new white stripes songs.