Mexican 1000 delayed until next year.

bfiguy

Reaction
Gotta call from my buddy Andy Waters; Mexican 1000 to be delayed till next year due to heavy damages to roads and services in Mid Baja. Highway 1 very damaged, many bridges out. Part of the route was to run the Pacific side from San Ignacio beyond La Purisima, all of which is probably wiped out. With the local population in need of supplies and assistance, running a race right now would be disrespectful at the very least. My understanding is that relief supplies, etc. will still be delivered by some teams and individuals. Hopefully the community can still assist in many ways.
On the plus side; this gives us more prep time and a couple of my friends can now be ready to join in the Inaugural race!

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
Hey, can anyone confirm this????? 8 days until the race start in Mexicali.... nothing yet on NORRA website.... what gives?

retroblazer

Reaction
I have someone who is working closely with Noval and Pearlman putting a call in now.

M

memin.pinguine

Just send a mail to Alex Plewniak at NORRA to find out.
Would be understandable if delayed

nohandslance

Reaction
I have not had a response from the Baja Bush Pilots on relief supply drop off info. I have multiple crates ready for delivery.
Point of origin: Reno, Nevada USA.

Lance Jergensen
ljergensen@Rebelmalting.com
775-997-6411

retroblazer

Reaction
Disrespectful if we run the race? I don't think so, I think they would be happy to see hard dollars.

retroblazer

Reaction
My source just called back and told me the race is going to be cancelled and that we should expect to see a press release tomorrow.

sweetdevil

Reaction
It's pretty bad down there right now, I'm not surprised. I don't think these people want to see trucks racing through their towns when their homes are barely standing, there is no clean water to drink and everyone is sick from sewer and water contamination! Let's help with some relief! I'm willing to donate money for supplies or support anyone heading down to deliver, contact me if there is anything I can help with!

hickeyracing

Reaction
I received a call from Michael Noval with NORRA, The 2009 NORRA 1000 is 100% off for now, The race is to be run around next April due to the massive damage in Mexico, There will be a press release tomorrow, I received the call because i had my James Garner 442 entered, Now the other racers that did not have enough time to get a ride ready has around 8 months to prep, The event will happen and the starting order will still be the same, I start in the # 2 spot right behind Parnelli Jones in the # 1 spot,

retroblazer

Reaction
I have to admit that I am dissappointed that NORRA didn't issue something yesterday about the status of the race. If the word is getting out that the race is going to be cancelled, then they should have issued a preliminary release last night and a full statement today.

Marty Fiolka

Reaction
All,

It is my understanding that the NORRA folks are putting out some form of press release later today. I do know that the decision to move the event until next Spring, should that be the case, must be a horribly difficult one as Mike Pearlman and Mike Noval have spent countless time and money to make it all happen. Should they move the rally, it is simply because it's the right (and therefore) only thing to do.

No matter what happens, I think the race teams and other participants should "rally" around Mike and Mike and their efforts. The good news? The extra time can be used to gain more support and more entrys. Still can't wait...but we may have too...

Lifeflight

Reaction
Well, all i know is that April is a lot cooler than september on laguna salada. More time to advertise, prep and get the word out will only help things. And get more entries.

Attachments

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
The delay, even though caused by a disaster, may be the best thing for the Rally.
The organizers may now learn to better promote this thing as it appears they are not up to speed.

The organizers should go full pedal on a relief effort using the orginal race dates if possible.

Marty Fiolka

Reaction
The delay, even though caused by a disaster, may be the best thing for the Rally.
The organizers may now learn to better promote this thing as it appears they are not up to speed.

The organizers should go full pedal on a relief effort using the orginal race dates if possible.
MORE 911: I have asked the question before but without a solid answer from anyone -- and it's just a curious question from me not an attack by any means. The NORRA guys have taken out ads in Dirt Sports (including a two page spread), San Diego Off-Road and Dusty Times for several months, sent out press releases and have been discussed on this forum. They were able to get Parnelli Jones, Malcolm Smith, Bud Feldkamp, Dave Westhem, etc (and two cars from us) to join them. I know their Website is a little less than perfect (but I heard it's getting redone soon), but besides that, how does it seem like they are not up to speed?

M

memin.pinguine

This is the answer I got from Alex Plewniak - Operations/Logistics Director NORRA. I think it's ok to paste it here since anyway a press release will follow. I was asking if there is anything to the rumor.

Code:
Hi, 
It is true, we are delaying the event temporarily.  
For right now we are going to assist the ongoing relief efforts.  
A formal press release is forthcoming, should be out tomorrow sometime.  
Rest assured, this is only a temporary delay.

rayrdz

Reaction
These guys (NORRA) worked really hard to put this together but I agree they need to get a Press Release out in a very public way on the net, Twitter, Race Dezert ASAP. We all support their effort and want this to be a success as this all builds enthusiasm for off-road motorsports. IMHO