Mexican Insurance

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
Anybody reccomend an ins. company that U may have used?

Bajated

Reaction
I only use AAA now, because I got hit a couple years ago when insured by Instant Mexico and got screwed.

1) They only approved Mexican labor rates, even though I was getting my car fixed in the US
2) They disalowed a lot of the parts on the estimate
3) They fought with me for almost a yaer before finally getting me a check for $1100 on a $3,000+ claim (I got all the parts at cost and still spent over $3k).

I've heard that COSTCO has Mexican insurance at half the price of AAA though, and they are reputable, so I might try thm in the future.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
"Much grass!"

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
AAA offers a hospitalization option that is great too! They don't ask if you will be involved in any motor sports and they don't ask for any of your health history...

I have been using www.bajabound.com and it has been cheap and easy. I have no idea if they provide good service after an accident though.

Tim_Price

Reaction
BajaBound.com. They support dez racing (sponsor for Koenig Racing/Locos Mocos Class 6 Toy).

Baja Fool

Reaction
I use ADA VIS Global in Temecula......email to your address and you print it out.
Used it for many years with no issues. Never had an accident so I don't know about the service regarding that.

http://www.adavisglobal.com/

Alex Paterson

Reaction
There was a thread started in the Industry section and some of the points were good, like:

Make sure they offer American Rates to repair your vehicle

Make sure they cover you on a dirt road. Believe it or not a lot of Mexican Insurance companies do not offer coverage once you leave pavement.

I suggest that you buy the fixed deductible option as it will save you in the long run.

I suggest you carry 300k liability because it may be Mexico but that doesn't mean they will settle for 50 bucks.

I suggest you carry the extend coverage option a company may offer because this usually offers all the coverage I mentioned above plus air fair, trip interruption, legal assistance's in both the US and in Mexico.Buy from a reputable carrier so you know you have a policy.

If you have a claim you NEED TO FILE IT AT THE TIME OF THE ACCINDENT (OR AS SOON AS YOU CAN GET CELL SERVICE OR TO A PHONE) AND NOT A FEW DAYS LATER. This can be tough the day of the race, specially if you are chasing a vehicle but if you don't you are giving the insurance company a way out of paying for your loss because they will not be able to properly investigate the claim if you have left the scene 3 days ago.

Above all drive down there better then you do in the US. We all know how quickly things can go bad.

-Alex

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Personally I would like to hear from people who have had claims ONLY and how they were handled, IMO thats what will decide who I use from now on. Anyone can sell it and be really nice doing it but lets hear how it was handled when something happened.

manicmechanic

Reaction
Personally I would like to hear from people who have had claims ONLY and how they were handled, IMO thats what will decide who I use from now on. Anyone can sell it and be really nice doing it but lets hear how it was handled when something happened.
Roger and ditto, I always figured the insurance was only good to get me out of jail, and then deal with the damage. I dont know what would happen if a gringo was in an accident and had none.

BoothPacific Films

Reaction
a friend of mine had an accident on the highway near san ignacio. it was a head on with a local who was drunk trying a blind pass. his 2500 dodge with camper was totaled and so was the mexican's mid seventies ford pickup. it was late in the day and the federales from santa rosalia didn't get there until the next morning. so off to jail they went. that's what happens down there. you go to jail and then they figure it out. and the federales tried to get them to sign a report that was written in spanish that turned out to blame my friend and not the drunk guy making the bad pass. my friend did not sign the report which made the federales mad and caused things to slow down even more. luckily my buddy got a couple phone calls in including to the insurance co. the next morning the federales were speaking english and helped my friend get a ride into san juanico. and he had a new truck a few weeks later. i used to use AAA insurance but ever since i found out what his insurance co. was i have been using them. Lewis and Lewis.

the bottom line is don't get into an accident and if you do don't sign anything you can't read. and call your insurance co. while you're still in mexico.

harleys dad

Reaction
I use AAA, takes a few minutes but as has been stated on this thread they cover you!! Besides they handle all my insurence. Cheap fly by nite outfits are just that, it is worth it to use AAA. This comercial was paid for by AAA!

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
I use AAA, takes a few minutes but as has been stated on this thread they cover you!! Besides they handle all my insurence. Cheap fly by nite outfits are just that, it is worth it to use AAA. This comercial was paid for by AAA!
10-4 on that. I'm aaa also, but don't drive down much, usually ride.
I was askin' for a friend that bought a boat in San Carlos and will be
goin down a bunch. He ended up goin with cosco, we'll see.

P.S. Thanks everybody for the input.

Nick_A

Reaction
X2 on Bajabound ,however, read the fine print. The policy will not pay if you are racing or supporting a racer.
Lewis & Lewis website said:
D) Loss or damage sustained or caused in the operation of the insured vehicle off conventional roads used by vehicles or on roads not in good driving condition.

E) Loss or damage sustained or caused in the course of participation by the vehicle in a race or any other contest of speed or resistance.
This seems kind of seems like a bust, although they do have good Annual rates.

What is the top notch insurance these days?

Soylent_Green

Reaction
I had a sign fall off of a building in Ensenada and hit the hood of my car a bunch of years ago. The auto insurance paid to have it fixed, and it was fixed on the US side. Been so long now, I can't remember who the insurance company was. The payment of damage was handled by an insurance broker in La Mesa, CA

Anyway, for convenience for San Ysidro or Otay crossers, MexInsur right off of the 805 on Bonita Road in Bonita/Chula Vista is real convenient. You don't have to fight the mess in San Ysidro to get your insurance. http://www.mexinsur.com/eng/