Mexico race stories

AZOffroad

Reaction
The Penasco 300 was AWESOME! Those that didn't make it missed a great time. The track was high speed and challenging. Rusty Nutz Racing #169 (Ed & Tim) started at 2:00 PM right behind John Martenson, we got the green and off we went. 500 yards from the starting line we threw a belt. About 5 minutes later we were back racing only to realize that the alternator took a dump…..probably why we threw the belt. Had our chase truck meet us at Check Point 1 with a new alternator. Right as we were pulling the bad one off our chase truck pulled up with the new one. 20 minutes later fueled and new alternator we were racing again. Other than our altenator issue we had a pretty good first lap at 3 hrs 20 mins. First pit stop….fueled and changed a rear tire and back out. Second lap no real problems except running at night and our lights weren't adjusted right; we decided to live with the light problem other than try and adjust them: we finished @ 9:00 PM 1st in Class 1 and third overall.

HUGE thank you to John Martenson & GCS Promotions, we all know it was a WHOLE lot of work in a week to pull this race off. Small problem with the federals’ but it was worked out quickly.

THANK YOU to all the racers who showed up and supported our efforts! This race was for you!
Stay tuned we are talking about another race in Dec but longer!

Here are some photos and let’s hear some more stories!

Attachments

SKISPEED

Reaction
GSPEED RACING Rocky Point Experience

We arrived in Rocky Point on Friday afternoon and were greeted by a friendly staff at the Desert Oasis. We easily found the registration area and after buying a couple of race shirts proceeded to sign up for the race at the registration area. The race was very simple so there where no IRC things to deal with or fee this or fee that. How many of you are tired of being fee’d to death at all these other races.

We hung out Saturday afternoon and probably should have done a little prerunning but what the heck. We ended up at the bar with several other teams and traded stories and had a great time meeting other racers. The beers and the steaks were some very good food.

Saturday morning we where all up early and unloaded and did a little final spot check and then went and found a cool place and some shade until the race would start.

After about an hour delay or so we got the thumbs up to go racing. We where planning on starting in the back of the field since we are kind of slow. Just as we where ready to go a local stops me and says there is gasoline dripping from behind me. I look and my floorboard is full of fuel. Panic I look at the fuel filter and see it dripping. Fark! I ran over to an unnamed race team and ask for a 14mm wrench. The old guy claims there are no tools in the quarter million dollar trailer, even though there is a toolbox in plain sight, FARK! So we unload the spare and tool bag to retrieve a 14mm and tighten the filter down with a quick snug. Start the b i t c h , that’s her name, back up and its fine. We slam everything back in the car and make it to the start line just in time.
We haul arse and seem to be making good time as we start to catch some other buggies and trucks. I drive for a long time in the dust one nice Mexican team with a nicely built ranger. We then drop into a big sand wash where a loader had created a small berm at the entrance to the wash. We approached the berm and noted a fellow jeepspeed racer stuck off to the left, we plowed over the berm and as we slowed to make sure they where ok we realized we had made a huge mistake.

The wash was very deep with soft sand and the berm had scrubbed off most of our momentum. We suddenly found ourselves stuck and in the same situation as the other jeep. We worked briefly to dig a way out of the situation and with my co drivers pushing we freed ourselves from the stuck within minutes. We left the jeep running and offered our assistance to Chad Hummer, the other jeep that was stuck. We tried several times to free him of his situation. I offered at that point to take his stuck card to someone who could free him.

When I arrived back at our jeep I found that it had quite running. After trying to restart the truck several times I found that we now had no fuel pressure. Thinking quickly we switched to our back up pump and everything restarted and we where back in business and ready to race. We jumped into our jeep and proceeded to continue the race when we became restuck not more than 100 yards now from Chad. My co driver and I worked on getting free for more than and hour only making it 10 yards more.

Then we witnessed the other jeep free itself from being stuck and they raced off past us. Now a little bummed about our situation we sat looking at the stuck jeep when out of nowhere a group of great guys in a bronco and a suburban showed up to help a bug that was stuck up from us about 500 yards. The Bronco hooked on to us and pulled us out of that hellish situation and back onto solid ground. I proceeded to air the tires down some more because there was more wash to deal with. After I slammed a few beers offered by our rescuers (damn cold beer is good), we jumped back in our jeep and raced off towards pit one.

We continued to race up and through all the checkpoints and pit areas with out another issue. The Jeep handled very well although we only had about 10 pounds of pressure in each of the BFG tires. It did make for some interesting handling going through some of the soft twisty stuff. We ended up loosing a spare through one very whooped out section with lots of G outs. This must have happened when we took it out to gain access to the tool bag for the fuel pumps or who knows when we where exhausted after digging in the wash. We ended up getting the tire back after the sweep that night.

We continued towards the finish and towards the sunset and as we headed towards the Sea of Cortez, which was and amazing and a surreal sight as we raced thought the rocks and desert we knew that we where on our way to another race completed. Not a first but another finish. We came driving back to start finish where my brother and friends waved the checkered flag and offered their congratulation and cold refreshment for a race well ran.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with this race and everyone that made that race possible. We had a great time and learned some valuable lessons. I hope that this race can be put on again and that more people will come and race it and maybe more people will pay attention to the needs of the people that live their.
I also hope that this helps the people that live there see how precious their desert is and they might come up with some solutions to keep it clean and open for everyone to use and enjoy. There are some things to clean up in the coastal desert area we raced and maybe the racers can make a difference in this.

WideOpenMotorsports

Reaction
Congrats on a successful race. I hope you can get another one set up for this year.

Rocky point is a great place to race and they want us racing there. Lets keep up the positive attitude and make Rocky Point a prominent racing area again!

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
...After I slammed a few beers offered by our rescuers (damn cold beer is good), we jumped back in our jeep and raced off towards pit one.
i realize a lot of people see mexico as the wild west but, damn.... :confused:

SKISPEED

Reaction
I know it sounds absurd but after over an hour of digging in freaking sand and getting nowhere fast it was a sight for sore eyes. We also slammed several bottles of cold water so I doubt it did much but to maybe calm a nerve or two once back in the drivers seat. It was a very frustrating thing to slow down to check up on someone and then get stuck and then get passed.

You should try it sometime

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
I know it sounds absurd but after over an hour of digging in freaking sand and getting nowhere fast it was a sight for sore eyes. We also slammed several bottles of cold water so I doubt it did much but to maybe calm a nerve or two once back in the drivers seat. It was a very frustrating thing to slow down to check up on someone and then get stuck and then get passed.

You should try it sometime
not preaching, just sayin' that posting that you "slammed a few beers" during a
race on a public forum has ramifications far beyond whether you and i are OK
with it. a lot of people would like to see an end to this sport and your post could
end up being used against all of us....

...sorry for the rant.

Rock Donkey

Reaction
All I have to say is I reserved my drinking for afterwards! :D

Had a blast during this weekend in Rocky Point. Gotta thank all the people that made this happen and didn't give up. Even in the final hour people stepped in and re-routed the course so we could all race. I enjoyed the venue, course, and the laid back lifestyle in Rocky Point.

Funny thing is I made a pact with the other JS driver the morning of the race to help each other if needed. Well, we got stuck in some deep sand and their JS came up and also got stuck (as did a few others!). To make a long story short, they gave us a few pushes on the JS and then told us we were stuck for good and they are taking off. I asked them to come back and pull us with a strap, but they were affraid of getting stuck themselves(they had a valid point). I said fine, we will continue to dig out, but if I see you up ahead I'll have to decline giving out my help. Well, karma struck and they got stuck in the sand 10 feet after taking off. :p So after another 45 minutes of shoveling and using everything including our firesuits for traction, we PEELED out and waved goodbye to our fellow friends in the white JS.....still digging to China. :D

Video of our race in the 1724 JS with a crappy camera (end is kinda funny):

Some pics from our stay:

Can't wait to go back!

Chad H.

Last edited by a moderator:

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
You look like you were haulin azz!

Jones23

Reaction
GSPEED RACING Rocky Point Experience

We arrived in Rocky Point on Friday afternoon and were greeted by a friendly staff at the Desert Oasis. We easily found the registration area and after buying a couple of race shirts proceeded to sign up for the race at the registration area. The race was very simple so there where no IRC things to deal with or fee this or fee that. How many of you are tired of being fee’d to death at all these other races.

We hung out Saturday afternoon and probably should have done a little prerunning but what the heck. We ended up at the bar with several other teams and traded stories and had a great time meeting other racers. The beers and the steaks were some very good food.

Saturday morning we where all up early and unloaded and did a little final spot check and then went and found a cool place and some shade until the race would start.

After about an hour delay or so we got the thumbs up to go racing. We where planning on starting in the back of the field since we are kind of slow. Just as we where ready to go a local stops me and says there is gasoline dripping from behind me. I look and my floorboard is full of fuel. Panic I look at the fuel filter and see it dripping. Fark! I ran over to an unnamed race team and ask for a 14mm wrench. The old guy claims there are no tools in the quarter million dollar trailer, even though there is a toolbox in plain sight, FARK! So we unload the spare and tool bag to retrieve a 14mm and tighten the filter down with a quick snug. Start the b i t c h , that’s her name, back up and its fine. We slam everything back in the car and make it to the start line just in time.
We haul arse and seem to be making good time as we start to catch some other buggies and trucks. I drive for a long time in the dust one nice Mexican team with a nicely built ranger. We then drop into a big sand wash where a loader had created a small berm at the entrance to the wash. We approached the berm and noted a fellow jeepspeed racer stuck off to the left, we plowed over the berm and as we slowed to make sure they where ok we realized we had made a huge mistake.

The wash was very deep with soft sand and the berm had scrubbed off most of our momentum. We suddenly found ourselves stuck and in the same situation as the other jeep. We worked briefly to dig a way out of the situation and with my co drivers pushing we freed ourselves from the stuck within minutes. We left the jeep running and offered our assistance to Chad Hummer, the other jeep that was stuck. We tried several times to free him of his situation. I offered at that point to take his stuck card to someone who could free him.

When I arrived back at our jeep I found that it had quite running. After trying to restart the truck several times I found that we now had no fuel pressure. Thinking quickly we switched to our back up pump and everything restarted and we where back in business and ready to race. We jumped into our jeep and proceeded to continue the race when we became restuck not more than 100 yards now from Chad. My co driver and I worked on getting free for more than and hour only making it 10 yards more.

Then we witnessed the other jeep free itself from being stuck and they raced off past us. Now a little bummed about our situation we sat looking at the stuck jeep when out of nowhere a group of great guys in a bronco and a suburban showed up to help a bug that was stuck up from us about 500 yards. The Bronco hooked on to us and pulled us out of that hellish situation and back onto solid ground. I proceeded to air the tires down some more because there was more wash to deal with. After I slammed a few beers offered by our rescuers (damn cold beer is good), we jumped back in our jeep and raced off towards pit one.

We continued to race up and through all the checkpoints and pit areas with out another issue. The Jeep handled very well although we only had about 10 pounds of pressure in each of the BFG tires. It did make for some interesting handling going through some of the soft twisty stuff. We ended up loosing a spare through one very whooped out section with lots of G outs. This must have happened when we took it out to gain access to the tool bag for the fuel pumps or who knows when we where exhausted after digging in the wash. We ended up getting the tire back after the sweep that night.

We continued towards the finish and towards the sunset and as we headed towards the Sea of Cortez, which was and amazing and a surreal sight as we raced thought the rocks and desert we knew that we where on our way to another race completed. Not a first but another finish. We came driving back to start finish where my brother and friends waved the checkered flag and offered their congratulation and cold refreshment for a race well ran.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with this race and everyone that made that race possible. We had a great time and learned some valuable lessons. I hope that this race can be put on again and that more people will come and race it and maybe more people will pay attention to the needs of the people that live their.
I also hope that this helps the people that live there see how precious their desert is and they might come up with some solutions to keep it clean and open for everyone to use and enjoy. There are some things to clean up in the coastal desert area we raced and maybe the racers can make a difference in this.
What surprises me is that people even read post this long:D j/k Greg has been smiling from ear to ear all week here at work so quit pissing in his wheaties. Everyone I talked to had a great time racers,chasers and beer drinkers.

SKISPEED

Reaction
Chad I love racing with you guys!!!! but next time your stuck unless there is a firm place to land and help we wont be stopping... I will expect the same. Tell me where we are racing next. I will be buying the beverage of choice since I lost this race to you. Yes this race is exactly what I needed. !!!

AZOffroad

Reaction
Congrats on a successful race. I hope you can get another one set up for this year.

Rocky point is a great place to race and they want us racing there. Lets keep up the positive attitude and make Rocky Point a prominent racing area again!
Thanks.....that's the plan.....to bring another race to Rocky Point.

AZOffroad

Reaction
Here are the results.....sorry took so long

Tecate Penasco 300 and 150 Rocky Point, Mexico May 16, 2009

BIKE 30+ NOV
1 319 Hector Ortega Phoenix, AZ HON 1 5:15:21

BIKE OPEN NOV
DNF 296 David Richards Tucson, AZ YAM 0 0:00:00

BIKE 40+ EXP
1 625 Ron Simpson Glendale, AZ HON 1 3:58:46

BIKE 50+
1 828 Danny Ragland Caveceek, AZ YAM 1 3:14:14