Michael Goodwin to stand trial for Thompson murder

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
This was taken from today's OC Register.

"Man to be tried in Thompson killings

Ex-promoter Michael Goodwin could face life sentence without parole in '88 slayings of racing legend and his wife.

April 19, 2002

By LARRY WELBORN
The Orange County Register

A former business partner of racing legend Mickey Thompson was ordered Thursday to stand trial on two counts of murder for his alleged role in the ambush slayings of Thompson and his wife more than 14 years ago.

Michael Goodwin, who was once known as the king of indoor Motocross racing, faces a possible sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. A teary-eyed Collene Campbell, a San Juan Capistrano councilwoman and Mickey Thompson's sister, said Thursday that she was relieved Goodwin will stand trial. "But it's not going to be an easy trial," Campbell said in front of several television cameras. "And it's not going to bring Mickey and Trudy back." A solemn Frank Goodwin, the defendant's 88-year-old father, said, "everything will come out at the trial." Goodwin, 57, left the courthouse in an orange jail jumpsuit. He will remain in custody without bail pending his next date in Orange County Superior Court on April 30.

Thompson, once the holder of dozens of land-speed records, and his wife, Trudy, were gunned down March 16, 1988, as they left their home in Bradbury for their office at AnaheimStadium. Both were shot multiple times by two assailants, who made their getaway on 10-speed bicycles.

The search for the Thompsons' killers was featured on television shows "Unsolved Mysteries" and "America's Most Wanted." On Thursday, a camera crew from "48 Hours" was on hand a report to be aired next month. There were no arrests in the headline-making case for more than 13 years until Goodwin was handcuffed at his Dana Point home in December and charged with orchestrating the slayings.

Deputy District Attorney David Brent contends that Goodwin ordered the killings in retaliation for business dealings with Thompson that went bad. Their 1984 business partnership promoting stadium-style racing ended in a lawsuit in which Goodwin was ordered to pay Thompson more than $500,000 in damages.

Orange County Superior Court Judge Francisco Briseno ruled Thursday that there was sufficient circumstantial evidence presented during a three-day preliminary hearing to require a trial.

Briseno also ruled that Orange County has jurisdiction to prosecute Goodwin, even though the Thompsons were killed in front of their home in Los Angeles County. Defense attorney Jeffrey Benice asked that the case be dismissed because of insufficient evidence.

He said the alleged threats Goodwin made on Thompson's life after the lawsuit were typical of the tough way people talk in some circles. Other than the threats, Benice said, "there is nothing that ties Michael Goodwin to the murders." In an interview later, Benice said, "Mike will now get his opportunity to fully and finally vindicate himself in a trial before a jury."

BRAAAAAAAAP!

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
did he do it ? I wasn't around back then...

opinions

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: did he do it ? I wasn't around back then...

Yep. I know another high roller that was an investor with Mickey. His son is a member of this forum. First thing out of his mouth was "Holy I failed spelling, Goodwin actually did it". The shooters were believed to be Jamican nationals out of Florida and later disappeared and are presumed dead or out of the country. It's no secret among the insiders back in those days who did it.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Imagine what the sport would be like if Mickey Thompson would still be around ?

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: Imagine what the sport would be like if Mickey Thompson would still be around ?

Klaus,
I'm sure there would be some really crazy stuff running out in the desert if he were still around. Mickey was like a bull in a china shop and stopped at nothing. The really sad part of all this is that Trudy ended up getting killed too. She was such a sincere lady who treated everybody with great respect. It really angered me when I heard she was also shot. I just made no sence to me why someone would do something so brutal to such a nice person.

I remember back in the early 80's when we were at the Orange Show stadium testing a short course car on a thursday afternoon while the track was being built. Mickey showed up in is Toyota Turbo Supra and started screaming at the tractor guys that the track wasn't right. He then proceeded to run his Supra on the track and over the jumps to get a feel for the design of the course. Boy, did he thrash that Supra! It was a spectacle I will never forget.

I hope Goodwin gets the gas chamber because of what he did to Trudy regardless of what he did to Mickey.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
If Goodwin is the one then yes.... unfortunaly I don't know enought about the case.