Mickey Thompson pictures

cosmo

Super Moderator
I'm looking for any Mickey Thompson pictures. Mainly, the stadium series 1600 cars. beam cars, not the A arm cars. Thanks.

LantanaTX

Here is one of the car I now own driven in the full series the first year of the M/T stadium series driven by Doc Ingram.

Bro_Gill

I don't think Varnes drove any of the 1600 cars. It would have been Rob Tolleson and Rick Frisby. They both had Mirage chassis'd 1600 cars. For future reference, the 'regular' 1600 class what you are looking for. 'Super 1600' was the class 10 equivellent back then in MTEG. Those are the Arciero and Razo Chenowth Magnum SC cars above. I have a pic of the Frisby car some where at home, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Old Volks

My sister was Mickey Thompsons personal secretary until the day he died. I use to get to go to his house and check out all the cool cars he had in his garage. I wish I knew what I was looking at. I was too young at the time to realize how lucky I was to be there. I use to get press passes from him for all the stadium races in the 80s. Had a blast down on the track taking pictures and just messing around in the press box with everyone. I know I have a bunch of pictures somewhere. I'll search for them and post what I have. They'll be scanned images of old 35mm shots I took. Never before seen.

sb4pro

Can't wait to see whatu got stashed lol . Those old pics are literally like opening a time capsule . I LOVE ALL THE OLD STUFF !!!!!

cosmo

Super Moderator
My sister was Mickey Thompsons personal secretary until the day he died. I use to get to go to his house and check out all the cool cars he had in his garage. I wish I knew what I was looking at. I was too young at the time to realize how lucky I was to be there. I use to get press passes from him for all the stadium races in the 80s. Had a blast down on the track taking pictures and just messing around in the press box with everyone. I know I have a bunch of pictures somewhere. I'll search for them and post what I have. They'll be scanned images of old 35mm shots I took. Never before seen.
Any luck on this?

DONALD MACE

Wes Elrod drove a Mirage and did Kevin Smith. Elrod car was all Mirage, Smiths car was a high bred Mirage. Go to Elrod Motorsports on Facebook and you will see the car. We still race this car today it is a 86 vintage. Bill builds some great cars.

Old Volks

I finally dug out an old album and scanned a few of the pictures. There's a lot more.
These are from about 1986 & 1987 . Some are Riverside raceway , Orange fairgrounds , LA Fairplex , Anaheim stadium , Jack murphy stadium etc.

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

Very cool. I think some of those are older than that. I had a chance at buying the Donsco Elrod car before they owner before them had it. That was originally a class 1 Hi-jumper owned by Lee Evans. The Elswrth Brothers raced it, then they made it into a 1-1600 car and Paul McCain and Alam Roher raced it until they stepped up to a new Varnes SS (presursor to Mirage) and won a lot of races with it. I missed the buy and one of th eguys from Donsco bought it and raced it as a class 10 car and won the first time out at Baylands. The the Elrods got it and won plenty of short course 1600 races with it. That would have been 1983 through about 1987. Ron Carter in the funco has to have been eralier than that as he later had a magnum. The Castle Raceco I think was mid 1980s as well. That #38 was Glen Harris's air shock funco, ao that has to be after he moved into the Mazda p-up. Great times.