• Forum membership has its advantages....

Mid engine Jeep?

Quick update on Rock Bradfords old rear engine Jeep. A group of us bought it back in the early 90's. Rebuilt it and raced it in a few of the LaRana races. Blew the engine up during a practice session and replaced the motor with a similar Buick 215 cu in aluminum block. Ended up selling it to a team up in Utah that raced it in some of the BORA events. Last I heard they were having some overheating problem.

Any way here's some pics of the rebuild and completed "jeep". It was a blast to drive! Hope your dad enjoys the pics.

Attachments

Very cool! Thanks for posting the pics. When I first saw it as a teenager in '79, it had a ford 351 in it and a ginormous rear radiator. With the 3.5 litre ali Buick, I'm sure it broke less being lighter!

Fandango

So... Fred's Jeep was Rock's Jeep. He raced it for about three seasons until the '97 Jackpot and became a buggy dork. I believe it went to Idaho from there. It would still be in Utah but it sold before we got to the finish line. Thanks OldJeeper.

Rearengjeep

Jeepster,

Thanks for the photos, I know my dad will be happy to see them. That was always his favorite race car.....even more than all the others he owned. I have a ton of pics I'm gonna post in this section and also the old off road section. It will be a variety of racers he owned over the years. Thanks again

Mumzy

Back in the late 80's I worked for Swift Engineering when they were still on Central Park Ave. in Anaheim. I can't remember his name, but there was a guy with a rear engine Jeep that had his shop a few doors down. This was about the same time that the Enduro Bronco showed up and schooled the class.

retroblazer

Back in the late 80's I worked for Swift Engineering when they were still on Central Park Ave. in Anaheim. I can't remember his name, but there was a guy with a rear engine Jeep that had his shop a few doors down. This was about the same time that the Enduro Bronco showed up and schooled the class.
A rear engine Jeep would have raced in Class 4. SCORE for a short while had a Class 14 that it also could have run in, but the Enduro Bronco would have been running in Class 3 until approx. the 1991 season when they swapped to Class 4 in a Ford 150. Come to think of it, there were some combined 3,4,14 races when entries were low. In some respects the arrival of TTB on a production platform killed the rear engine specials. The TTB Broncos had long travel 4WD, big horse power and a tough driveline. Amost twice as much front wheel travel compared to the specials and, equal to, or greater, wheel base and width, stock.

TROPHYSEDAN

I bought a fiber glass bodied jeepster in mid 70,s built buy Brian Chuhua (sp) . it was rear engine with a trico 390 AMC engine raced in midwest till early 80,s sold to guy in SD who put a chevy in it. the body was very heavy. i was told 3 bodies were built.
Here is a lil history.
3 bodys where made.
Holy Toledo. I have.
Ralph price. Missing.
Mid Engine Heard it was scrapped.
Holy Toledo drag Jeep. The #4 body had a fiberglass nose and sides. Aluminum rear half.
Im waiting to hear back on a fiberglass body i found.
If you have any info. Up dates. Post it.
IMG_1723.JPG
IMG_1726.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG
IMG_1827.PNG

Last edited:

Rearengjeep

Mumzy,

My Dads AC corporation was located on central park avenue. I had no idea Swift Engineering was down the road. Jerry Welchel's dad owned a shop around the corner of that business complex

I believe your man was in fact Glenn Emery.Super good guy,a real gentleman,but hard charger. He and I battled for the championship in 1978 in Walt's High Desert series class 4 , modified 4 wheel drive.In the mid 80's Steve Catlin, who I recall was Glenn's son in law ran the car, I competed against him as well.In the 1987 Mint 400 he was first,I was 2nd. Bill Todd out of Duarte also had a similiar car.I recall he and Rod Hall took a second place at the Mint in 1978, I believe. We were 4 th , missed 3 rd by 26 second's.Rocky Bradford out of Anaheim had a similiar car as well in the late 80's.
I was a pit boy in 73 for Bill Todd. My father Ernie Reed was a co- driver. The car was called El Toro. Yellow 4×4 with a boat v drive.