Mid Life Crisis Baja Adventure - What do I build?

Freakaccident

Reaction
So I am a 42 year old recently divorced man living in Indianapolis Indiana. I have built three offroad trucks. I took a 92 Yota and did an SaS to it and made it a rock crawler. I had a Samurai with coils. I know my way around building a truck. So here is what I want to do. I want to go down to Baja for a couple of weeks and offroad. Camping, cheap motels, etc. The question is what do I start with. My base price for a truck is about 5k to start with. My first thought is an XJ. I know them very well and they are everywhere. Any other ideas or advice for a crazy person from Indiana?

Thanks

jon coleman

Reaction
level of how deep you go, me, i would be happy taking my 70 chev.c20, Stock, points ign ect.Very baja compliant.cant go wrong w- toyota.that is a good base truck.also keep it simple and user friendly.dont over engineer it

bullnerd

Reaction
Bronco, call Desolate or Solo and be done.

JMO, but I live in NJ so I could be waaay off! lol!

gwizz

Reaction
ha its pretty much the complete opposite of crawling.

a stock bronco with 2.5's or an older toyota with a mid travel kit, and 2.5 shocks on every corner. make sure it bumps right dont drive like robby gordon.

gwizz

Reaction
xj will work but i would be worried about it falling apart/breaking.

5280Ranger

Reaction
I'd prefer a bronco but an XJ won't "fall apart". Drive it like an XJ, not a TT. If you know them, go check out Jeepspeed for the good parts and go for it. Know your limits, keep it simple and you'll be fine.

Freakaccident

Reaction
gwizz,

You say stock Bronco with 2.5s. What do you mean? Stock with just shocks and say maybe 33" tires?

gwizz

Reaction
I'd prefer a bronco but an XJ won't "fall apart". Drive it like an XJ, not a TT. If you know them, go check out Jeepspeed for the good parts and go for it. Know your limits, keep it simple and you'll be fine.
ehhh a jeep speed is the last thing i would use to hype up an xj. im 99% sure they re weld every seam and plate the front unibody just so it doesnt tear apart. toe to toe the bronco in stock form blows away an xj, this coming from a chevy guy who has owned an xj.

gwizz

Reaction
gwizz,

You say stock Bronco with 2.5s. What do you mean? Stock with just shocks and say maybe 33" tires?
my friend kohl has a 95 oj special with 2.5 kings on every corner. does buggy whoops with ease, and can do short tipple sets of 4' whoops (by accident)
all he did was remove the overload on a fresh set of rear springs, used sami shock hoops to mount the rear shocks at a terrible angle lol. welded tabs on the front shock tower. shocks uses a welded eyelet shock shaft to package everything.
but ya basically a stock bronco on 33s which needs a cage.

gwizz

Reaction
So a stock Bronco with 2.5" front shocks is pretty decent at speed?
i mean ill put it this way besides the safety factor of what was going on, i was very impressed. pretty sure we bent the pass side beam one night too. but honestly for stock crap i cant believe how well the ttb worked combined with the weight and wheel base of a bronco.

Josh 8

Reaction
I suggest you take what ever you have that drives and get down to Baja in the next week. The norra race starts next Sunday and it’s the perfect place to hang out and “live Baja” with a bunch of gringos with with cool old race cars.

Take camping gear. And every where you go you can camp on the beach for about $10 bucks.

Leave the guns and ammo home.

Just get their. Don’t worry about an ultimate perrunner. You need reliable even if it is stock.