MIG machine set-up help?

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I need a little help dialing my new personal MIG machine in. . .I've always used a Millermatic 252 machine in the shop and I have the settings for it dialed in just the way I like them, but I bought a Millermatic 211 for my own use at home and I'm having some problems getting it set to weld like the 252. I am running it off of 230V power supply. . .specifically 250V/50A breaker and outlet so I don't think the power supply is the issue.

The problem I'm having is that I'm having a lot of trouble being able to lay down the stacked puddles. Everytime I try it I get tons of spatter and it just doesn't want to cooperate. The technique that I was using in the shop was to start off by creating a puddle, quickly moving ahead of the puddle, and then quickly backstepping back to the leading edge of the puddle and establishing another puddle and repeating. This way I would establish a puddle and my subsequent puddles would have their trailing edge just before the middle of the previous puddle. . .no craters, so less chance of a crack starting in the crater. When I try this technique with the 211 it's almost like I'm trying to start from scratch everytime; it's almost like I lose the arc and have to re-establish it and it looks like a big pile of doggy-doo. I haven't experienced this problem before. . .granted I haven't been welding that long, about a year and a half and it's pretty frustrating. I don't have a ton of scrap metal where I can just sit and play with the settings for long periods of time and not worry about the fact that I'm just burning metal, gas, and filler wire up.

The settings I ended up liking on the 252 (digital readout) for 0.125" material (plate and tube alike) were 17.5V/180 WFS and 19.5V/235 WFS depending upon the type of joint I was working on. . .the lower setting for lap joints and the higher setting for tees and tube joints.

The 211 has a knob style readout (which I didn't learn on) so I figured out what each setting was equivalent to in actual volts and WFS and I'm running the 211 at the same settings as the 252. . .the equivalent settings on the 211 are voltage setting of 3/WFS setting of 4 and voltage setting of 4.5/WFS setting of ~5.25.

The other thing I'm noticing is that this machine seems to run quite a bit hotter than the 252.

I know I need to get a bunch of scrap metal and spend quite a bit of time playing with the machine, but I thought that maybe one or some of you might be able to save me a little bit of time and get me started off on the right foot for figuring this machine out.

Thanks!!!

tmathews

Reaction
Assuming you are using copper coated wire with 75/25 gas.... Just curious, but what does the chart say to set-up the machine for the thickness of material you are trying to weld?

You may start with that and fine tune-it to your own personal taste... etc

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I'm not at the machine right now, but IIRC I was pretty close to what they recommend on the chart. . .I wasn't using the AutoSet capability though. I guess I could give the recommended settings a try and see how it behaves at those settings. . .I didn't like the recommended settings on the 252, but each machine is different. . .who knows that might work.

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
i have the 210 and have always followed the chart on the inside of the cover where the spool goes , i set it on the recommended # and then adjust the wire speed either up or down a few till i get the welds i like , as for splatter i,ve been told its nozzle angle and gas , check your nozzle as well and see where the tip is in relation to the nozzle i has huge issues as well and it was the nozzle was too short and the tip stuck out too far .

Chase 2

Reaction
Polarity? Some of the smaller machines are sold to run flux core or gas and they need to run the opposite polarity with the flux core than gas. I am totally guessing on this one.

tmathews

Reaction
Polarity? Some of the smaller machines are sold to run flux core or gas and they need to run the opposite polarity with the flux core than gas. I am totally guessing on this one.

You sir are correct !! They come set-up for solid wire and you would need to change the polarity inside the spool cover to run flux-cored wire..

You would also need to change the drive roll out from the V-groove the the VK-groove style.

I learned the hard way... :D

Told my customer one thing and had to remove my foot from my mouth.. :D

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I have the really tiny nozzle on right now. . .I think I'm gonna get the larger nozzle just to be on the safe side. I thought I was gonna like this smaller nozzle, but it seems like it just gets clogged up faster and that definitely isn't good for gas flow!