Mig question....

josh7674

Reaction
When mig welding right after i get done with a weld brown stuff is all over it.Is it rust or is it cause of uncleaned metal??? How can i prevent this? and what is the best way to clean metal before welding i know brake cleaner is a no brainer...
Thanks

Gonzo 5/1600

Reaction
The brown stuff you're seeing on your MIG welds is just slag, meaning impurities that surface in the moulten puddle such as the copper jacket on the wire etc. Nothing to worry about, it should just chip off.

As far as cleaning before welding, a good sandblasting is best if you have access to a blast cabinet, otherwise degrease the area (I'm sure people have various sugestions) and scuff with a steel bristled brush.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
when mig welding right after i get done with a weld brown stuff is all over it.is it rust or is it cause of uncleaned metal??? How can i prevent this? And what is the best way to clean metal before welding i know brake cleaner is a no brainer...
Thanks
check out "the brake cleaner + welding = bad" thread

atomicjoe23

Reaction
more specifically the brown stuff is silicon and Gonzo is right. . .it should come right off with a wire brush, you may need to chip it in some stubborn areas, but in my experience 90% of it will come off with just a light scrubbing of a wire brush.

josh7674

Reaction
more specifically the brown stuff is silicon and Gonzo is right. . .it should come right off with a wire brush, you may need to chip it in some stubborn areas, but in my experience 90% of it will come off with just a light scrubbing of a wire brush.

okay good im not going crazy for awile i thought i was a **BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME**ty welder that didnt know how to set the welder up haha

xdesertracer

Reaction
did ya ever here of soap and water then dry if with a clean towel , back about 2 inches fron the welding area and also useing a clean wire brush, not one you took out of the solvent tank. any oil,water grease can cause bad things and also the fan running in the shop while you welding on a hot day blows the gas away.