• Forum membership has its advantages....

Mig welder question

Zambo

My welder is sputtering when I start the weld. Once I get the bead going (about a second or two) it welds fine but the beginning of the weld is very inconsistent. Any ideas? Obviously I'm not a welding guru.

Thanks!

BTW, Hobart Ironman 250 with .023 wire and steel mix.

DBMETALWORX

Try less wire speed, or start the weld w/your tip closer then back off a bit. This helps with a cold start.

philofab

Powered by Optima
If it's a new occurrence (just started without a setting change) you should check all the leads for loose connections. The bolt on the ground clamp and the two studs inside the door where the ground cable & gun lead attach like to come loose sometimes from hi frequency and heat cycles.

If it has always done this try more amps or less wire speed (Same suggestion as DBmetalworx)

atomicjoe23

If it has always done this try more amps or less wire speed (Same suggestion as DBmetalworx)
Aren't amps and wire speed the same. . .you can't have more of one and less of the other (at least on the machines that I've used. . .can't speak for this machine), you can adjust voltage independent of amps/wire speed, but not amps independently from wire speed.

randy s

be sure to turn it off before you make any setting changes.

atomicjoe23

be sure to turn it off before you make any setting changes.
Why???

I have never had an issue with adjusting settings with any machine on that I have used. . .and this never hit the radar when I was in welding school. . .in fact, this is the first time I have ever heard this suggested.

Not saying you don't have a valid reason. . .I just don't know what it is.

JimmyD

mine does this also. try clipping the wire before beginning, that sometimes works. but i bet its your ground. take a grinder to the spot where your grounded. when is the last time you changed the liner? take the hooks off the rollers and try pulling the wire through see how easy (or hard) it is to pull it through. it should pull through pretty easy.

Zambo

Thanks fellas, I should have mentioned that this cold starting or whatever it is is a new occurrence. When I get back home from Alaska I'll check the connections, that sounds like the most likely source of the problem. The liner and rollers are good.

scottm

Put on a new tip of the right size too.