mig welder

boltonbros

Reaction
i am thinking about getting a mig welder. i am wondering what everyone else is using? what kind and how much did it cost? thanks

when in doubt throttle it out

singlehanded

Reaction
I got a lincoln 200 mig. it was like 1300 w/out bottle 1500 w/full bottle, if I remember right and it came with aspool of wire. I believe camburg uses the same one right jerry?

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

cleartoy

Reaction
Im running Miller 175. With the starter kit from Airgas, i got 2.2 cu bottle, gauges, cart, pliers, wire brush, can of anti splatter for $750.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

motoxscott

Reaction
I just picked up a Lincoln PowerMig 255 for $1500 w/o bottle, I had a Lincoln SP-175 Plus before that and it cost me $650 w/o bottle.

In_the_works

Reaction
How durable/lasting are lincolns compaired to say.. miller or hobart? I know they have somehing like a 3 year warranty, but does anyone know what that covers?

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

boltonbros

Reaction
yes i was wondering if they are better to. i am using a hobart right now but, it is borrowed from a guy that i know and he wants it back. i have a guy who can get me miller stuff how are they? thanks for your replys.

In_the_works

Reaction
What's the typical price to rent a tank and gas? Say 4 cf?

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by In_the_works on 02/20/03 03:28 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
Reaction
Just buy the bottle .....one time ( except refill/exchange ) rather than paying per month.....Just my $ .02

Start drinking till you see double and act single

AZmiik

Reaction
Alot of times you can pay for a tank for the cost of renting for a year or so. I think a 40cf cylinder only costs about $100 bucks. Rent is usually around $6 a week.

Mike

factorX

Reaction
One word............."blue" by miller the only way to go................

Off road race rental companion of the evening

singlehanded

Reaction
Lincolns are killer dont buy a miller if you do you'll be thinking why didnt I buy a lincoln.
j/k thought it was just funny.lol

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

motoxscott

Reaction
At work, most of our MIG welders are Lincoln and most of our TIG welders are Miller. We have 10+ MIG welders and 10+ TIG welders.

From what I've heard from people Lincoln is really good for MIG because they specialized in ARC welding where Miller is good for TIG because they specialized in that years ago. They both made the transitions to do both.

You can't go wrong with either though. It's like SAW vs FOX vs King. It's all good.

-Scott

boltonbros

Reaction
i talked to some guy about getting a welder and he said if you are going to be fabercating trucks the thickest steel you will weld is 3/8 is this true? i have not had to weld anything thicker than that will i need to? he recomended the miller 210 mig welder it is based around 3/8 thick steel will this work fine? it said it will cost around $1.400 is this a good price? thank you for your reply.

hoeker

Reaction
the 210 is a nice machine, very versatile. it's fairly low duty cycle yet, so be carefull if you end up welding on a loader with it. i upgraded from a 185 (now replaced by the 210) to a 251 a year or so back, and have only used the extra power once. (on a loader)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

In_the_works

Reaction
I'm getting my MIG today, and I'm going to get either a miller or lincoln 135, and I was wondering if it is possible to weld thicker materials than 3/16" if you make multiple passes. I dont think I'll ever need to do anything thicker than 1/4", so would a 135 work? Maybe by beveling the edge of the workpiece a bit? Also, which is preferable/stronger, welding with flux cored or using gas, and why?

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

hoeker

Reaction
always bevel the edges, especially if the welder is under powered for the job. you can weld thicker, but yes you will need to make multiple passes. i'm no welding expert, but hate flux cored welding even though i think it's easier to get better penetration if your welder is under powered.

as usually i am going to recommend going to a minimum of a miller 175, the price was stated earlier in this thread as 660 bucks i think, well worth the extra couple hundred over a 110v machine. you'll never regret it.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

In_the_works

Reaction
Only problem is, I have to run it off of household current, so if you could suggest any options, I would appreciate it.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Run it off your dryer circuit or find a buddy who is an electrician.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>