MIG welding Aluminum with CO2?

X9 Racer

Reaction
'Cause that's what I have and I just need to do a couple of stitches, nothing structural. Is it possible?

tmathews

Reaction
I wouldn't recommend it.. Not even for a couple of stitches. More of mess and headache than anything.

Tom_Willis

Reaction
Looking for some advice. I'm using a Milller 180 and spoolmate 100 to learn mig welding aluminum. Wire is .030 4043, speed and power are set per the manual for 3/16" scrap 5150. Everything is wire brushed, clean, and 100% argon gas has been used at up to and over 40 lbs, but I still get a black layer of soot all over the weld area. I'm not as close with the gun as I am when welding steel, maybe 3/4" away from the surface. I checked polarity, confirmed there is no breeze and the welds seem ok but should I be seeing soot forming on both sides of the weld? thankx

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Looking for some advice. I'm using a Milller 180 and spoolmate 100 to learn mig welding aluminum. Wire is .030 4043, speed and power are set per the manual for 3/16" scrap 5150. Everything is wire brushed, clean, and 100% argon gas has been used at up to and over 40 lbs, but I still get a black layer of soot all over the weld area. I'm not as close with the gun as I am when welding steel, maybe 3/4" away from the surface. I checked polarity, confirmed there is no breeze and the welds seem ok but should I be seeing soot forming on both sides of the weld? thankx

Its the LA smog:D

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Turn your wire feed speed up. . .you really have to crank the amps up!!!

Aluminum is very sensitive to the settings with MIG welding. . .let me double check my settings at the shop (I wrote them down because I don't do aluminum MIG enough to remember it). . .get back to you on what I use. . .usuallind welding the same thickness plate to. . .3/16-5/16"

FABRICATOR

Reaction

You might be holding the gun too steep. It should be angled and pointing in the direction of the weld.

If that doesn't help you might examine the entire gas hose assembly looking for any venturi situation that could draw in air.

Here's a short Miller video: http://www.millerwelds.com/swf/flv/flashvid.html?swf=MIG_Aluminum_Welding.swf&w=320&h=240&v=8