MIG welding problems

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
There are lots of threads on pretty welds but how about one on bad/problem welds to help teach people what/how to weld right.

Every one in a while my MIG wire will bead up on the tip of the gun. What causes this?

Also, I had a spot where I finished a weld and (lack of better word) a stalagmite grew out of it. I grinded it out and the weld was very pouris (sp?). I'm guessing the weld got cantaminated. Maybe oil on the tube or luck of shielding gas. I used to run straight co2 but I just switched to steel mix and have had this happen more times now than before.

tmathews

Reaction
Just curious... but what is your CFH ? I.e. cubic feet per hour. It should be 25-30. Also, check your gas hose and gun for leaks.

As far as the wire, shorting out at the tip... Check the tension on the wire... You should only have enough to feed the wire.. Any tighter and the wire will get smashed in the drive and go from round to oval.

This could possibly create a feeding problem through the liner and into the diffuser then at the tip.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I'm with TMathews. . .that porosity is most likely from a lack of cover gas. . .especially with the MIG process. . .and 25-35 CFH (I run 30) is the normal range

What type of gun are you running. . .some of the guns allow you to adjust the location of the contact tip with relation to the torch tip. . .if your contact tip location isn't correct then that can happen to the wire at the tip of the gun. . .I have also running too much WFS (wire feed speed. . .amps) cause that as well. . .

Giant Geoff

Reaction
If we have a problem with mixed gas, we will roll the bottle on the ground for 10-15 minutes. Some bottles have a pick up tube running down the inside that sucks below the half way point, so we mix it on the ground to get it to weld better.

Chase 2

Reaction
If we have a problem with mixed gas, we will roll the bottle on the ground for 10-15 minutes. Some bottles have a pick up tube running down the inside that sucks below the half way point, so we mix it on the ground to get it to weld better.

Yeah, and then you fill your tires with Nitrogen, LOL!!!

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
i'm with tmathews. . .that porosity is most likely from a lack of cover gas. . .especially with the mig process. . .and 25-35 cfh (i run 30) is the normal range

what type of gun are you running. . .some of the guns allow you to adjust the location of the contact tip with relation to the torch tip. . .if your contact tip location isn't correct then that can happen to the wire at the tip of the gun. . .i have also running too much wfs (wire feed speed. . .amps) cause that as well. . .
i run 25 cfh in front of the cooler...with .035 solid wire.. I run 30 cfh, .045 on thick stuff- 1/2"- 1". I also prefer a gun that the tip is even with the end of the gas sheild . When welding 16ga, i run 20 cfh. More arc needs more sheild...

philofab

Powered by Optima
Reaction
i run 25 cfh in front of the cooler...with .035 solid wire.. I run 30 cfh, .045 on thick stuff- 1/2"- 1". I also prefer a gun that the tip is even with the end of the gas sheild . When welding 16ga, i run 20 cfh. More arc needs more sheild...
What thickness of metal are you welding? I use .030 for most stuff up to 3/16.Anything above that I do in multiple passes. A thinner wire needs more wire speed but creates a nicer puddle and weld. I save the .025 for 16 ga.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
what thickness of metal are you welding? I use .030 for most stuff up to 3/16.anything above that i do in multiple passes. A thinner wire needs more wire speed but creates a nicer puddle and weld. I save the .025 for 16 ga.
i too , run .025" on 16ga w/20cfh on the gas. I used .030 back in the day, but went to .035, cuz its so much cheaper....030 does make a nice weld on tubing..as far as thickness goes, we weld from 20ga-4", and as thick as 6",, but most of the time it's 1" and less. What kind of 110v machine are you running? Plz tell me it's a miller...

philofab

Powered by Optima
Reaction
i too , run .025" on 16ga w/20cfh on the gas. I used .030 back in the day, but went to .035, cuz its so much cheaper....030 does make a nice weld on tubing..as far as thickness goes, we weld from 20ga-4", and as thick as 6",, but most of the time it's 1" and less. What kind of 110v machine are you running? Plz tell me it's a miller...
I don't have any 110v machines. I've got a Lincoln 170T, Lincoln 175 plus, Miller 210, and a really old Miller wire feed that needs my forklift to move it.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
i don't have any 110v machines. I've got a lincoln 170t, lincoln 175 plus, miller 210, and a really old miller wire feed that needs my forklift to move it.
yeah you're pretty well maxed out on 3/16"-1/4" with the lincolns, even though they're both 220v. Your miller 210 should be fine for single pass. I do like the .030" wire, every time start welding tubing, i want some..that old machine, is that 1 with a huge gun?

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I have the Miller 210 as well. . .it's good up to 3/8" steel for single pass. . .although in my opinion, that's pretty thick for single pass MIG. . .not saying it cant' be done (because I have), but. . .

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
My MIG gun is the stock Miller one. I tried cleaning the parts and then wiping them with brake cleaner and I we still having these things "grow" out on the weld. I've never had this problem before. As I'm thinking about it, I know I just changed wire and bottles when this started happening. Last night I changed the steel mix back to CO2 and the welds are better. I'm guessing I got either a bad batch of steel mix or I need to roll it on the ground like posted before.

As for the weld balling up on the tip of the welder....after doing some research, that is typically caused by lack of wire speed.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
My MIG gun is the stock Miller one. I tried cleaning the parts and then wiping them with brake cleaner and I we still having these things "grow" out on the weld. I've never had this problem before. As I'm thinking about it, I know I just changed wire and bottles when this started happening. Last night I changed the steel mix back to CO2 and the welds are better. I'm guessing I got either a bad batch of steel mix or I need to roll it on the ground like posted before.

As for the weld balling up on the tip of the welder....after doing some research, that is typically caused by lack of wire speed.
try a little less voltage.. the mix gas is better also. i've never heard of rolling the bottle on the floor..check where your gun goes into the machine, make sure it's all the way in with no cuts on the o-rings. 25cfh is a good starting place for gas flow..

philofab