Mikey's Baja bike and truck race report!

MIKEY CHILDRESS

Iron Mike
Reaction
Well wow what a awesome 11 days I had in Baja wish I could have stayed for longer. I had a wonderful week of pre running no crashes no problems just rode and sleeped all week.

Race morning
Woke up around 4:45 to get prepared to ride the start to rm100 on the bike. Got to the start line around 5:35 or so and hung out with some of the fans that wake up early enough to see the bikes start. I was the first bike off the line huge advantage but that didn't last long as I blasted off the line I made it about 2 miles before loosing the front end on some slippery mud in a corner and going down. No big deal pick the bike up but the darn thing wouldn't start so Kendall Norman got around me just as I got it started. So now Im in the dust super pissed that I made such a dumb mistake. Around race mile 30 things took a turn for the worst when I came around a corner and to my surprise here is a car going backwards on the course he was on the outside of the corner so I had to try and tuck inside of him but he turned into me sending me over the bars and into the bushes.. I get up in full shock mode not realizing how bad I was hurt I was trying to get my bike started again and the driver of the car was mad at me because I broke the head light and grill and dented the hood..I just ignored him and continued to kick the bike trying to get it to start then he trys to grab me off the bike and was yelling at me in spanish couldnt understand anything but then he really started to tug on me so I gave a back spin punch to his mouth and that ended that and I was on my way. So I continue down the road when the pipe falls off due to the head on crash. So I get to rm 36 and hand the bike off to Steve Hengeveld..
I jump in the box van and head to the next pit where I was to get back on the bike but the pain was just to bad so I had to take some pain killers..Ryan Penhall brings the bike in and we do a tire and filter and im on my way again riding the whoops around race mile 210 I was able to make a pass on 3rd place and hand the bike back to Hengeveld in 3rd place. Steve rode a great race and made up a lot of time going to the finish but only more bad luck would strike us when the kill switch decided to take a crap and shut the bike down after a 15 minutes repairing that we dropped back to 4th place where we would finish the race.

So I head back to rm200 to jump in the RFS motorsports class 6 truck. Robert brought the truck to me about 3 mins behind the dirtsports driver of the year Heidi Steele. I was pumped to get in the truck I got the truck up to speed and the mighty 4.5 v6 hauled the mail and I was able to catch Heidi at rm 220 and gave her a little love tap to know that I was back there checking out here backside lol.. We head up mikes rd and the transmission temp is getting a little high for my nerves so I backed it down a notch and got the temps back down to around 240. We get to pit at race mile 300 and put fuel in and get a time split on Heidi that we had opened to 10 mins now so now I had a little breathing room..We roll into Santo tomas and get some more fuel and head into the mountains got another time split on Heidi and we had more breathing room so I backed it down even more and picked my way thru the rocks and silt. We get to ojos cross the pavement and bam we got a pile up on the silty hill.. I kicked my co dog out (Ramsey) to go check out what the hold up was. There was a 10 car stuck on the hill that caused the 700 truck to get stuck and a 1600 behind him Ramsey hooks a strap to the 700 truck and I give him a tug back down the hill and we get the pile up cleaned up and head on our way to the finish were we would finish around 10:20. The truck was awesome and I never had to get out of it just drove it along and stayed on the road. I would really like to thank the whole RFS motorsports team they all did such a amazing job. Got to thank Robert for asking me to drive with him and Ramsey for riding with me! Also gotta thank Travis,Dana and Tony from General tire the provide me with such a great tire no flats all day!

RFS motorsports
General Tire
BTR Wheels
Fox shocks
Checkers
My Dad

Also gotta thank all the guys on my bike side off the day

Bruce Penhall
Johnny Brash
Kevin
Tim
Joe Black
Cortney
Ricky
Ryan
Henge

Gotta thank the bike sponsors
Monster Energy
Penhall Motorsports
Mission motorsports
Xr's Only
Yosh pipes
Sunline
Precision Concepts
Zlt
ARAI
Dragon Goggles
Oneal
Alpinestars
IMS
PCI

jjordan

Reaction
Sounds like a great week and an exciting race. So will you be on a bike in the 1000?

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Nice write up Mikey, wondered what happened to the front of the bike. Spinning back fist...awesome.:cool:

kenaroo

Reaction
Tough luck on the bike.. glad you were able to keep going. not a bad recovery with all the mishaps.

Think the cage is calling your name. but we sure do like watching you on the Bikes..

best of luck at the mil.

southcamp1

Reaction
Great write up, so both you and Henge had run-ins with cars going the wrong way? did you have a helo? did team Honda? would it or does it help. Hope you come back for the 1000 on a bike also. Thanks for the insight

Last edited:

MIKEY CHILDRESS

Iron Mike
Reaction
Great write up, so both you and Henge had run-ins with cars going the wrong way? did you have a helo? did team Honda? would it or does it help. Hope you come back for the 1000 on a bike also. Thanks for the insight

Yes we had a helo but it wasnt up yet when I hit the car..Yes Honda had one also and its a huge advantage..I havent heard from Steve yet about his ride..

JJohnson

Reaction
nice man! i was alkin to rev after i herd about the wreck to see if he knew if you were ok. kick arse man

Ranger Danger

Reaction
Tough break on the bike man that really sucks. but you always have the 1000 and must be nice to do both a bike and a truck in on race. You must feel like a ROCK STAR Mike. and whats the deal you dont drive with Scott anymore?

MIKEY CHILDRESS

Iron Mike
Reaction
There was nobody around just me and him..I got scared for a few seconds but the spinning back fist really did the job lol..I know if I was around my ensenada fans that they would have taken care of him. I wanna come back to ensenada asap to do the CODE race maybe..
Hey Mikey, how come fans didnt help you control the angry guy, you are a HERO in ensenada, I'm really surprise.

MIKEY CHILDRESS

Iron Mike
Reaction
Tough break on the bike man that really sucks. but you always have the 1000 and must be nice to do both a bike and a truck in on race. You must feel like a ROCK STAR Mike. and whats the deal you dont drive with Scott anymore?

With sales slow at PCI and the tough economy Scott had to sell my seat to Jimmy Knuckles and Dave sykes. I went out and helped set the truck up with the new King shocks before the race maybe when things get better I can drive the #7 again

CORAL'S BELLMAN

Reaction
There was nobody around just me and him..I got scared for a few seconds but the spinning back fist really did the job lol..I know if I was around my ensenada fans that they would have taken care of him. I wanna come back to ensenada asap to do the CODE race maybe..
CODE is from mexicali, you probablly ment RECORD in ensenada, June 20th, ensenada to san felipe, If you come you will make our day, I'll be in that race on MOTORCYCLE SAFARI CLASS (beginers), ckeck you agenda.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Wow!!! We were at RM98 when Henge got off the bike. I didn't realize you got off of it and was puzzled. The Penhall pit replaced the Yosh exhaust, made other repairs, and got the race bike going strong. Glad to hear you at least won class 6 w/RFS....we were rooting for you guys for the O/A on bikes. Next time.

richzajic

Reaction
there was nobody around just me and him..i got scared for a few seconds but the spinning back fist really did the job lol..i know if i was around my ensenada fans that they would have taken care of him. I wanna come back to ensenada asap to do the code race maybe..

mma / ufc ???

Josh @ DanZio

Chains
Reaction
You're a frigging maniac!!! Maybe that's why we get along so good!!!! Yyyyeeeeeeee!!!!!

Goober

Reaction
Gotta get that helo in air sooner. Wasn't that one of Robby Bells's reason for quitting? Good luck at the 1000.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
Mikey, It was a cool trip, and nice to meet you and your girl friend-pit boss ,had a good time chasing you guy's around ,even the ride from Ojos to Santo Tomas the hard way. I thought it came together pretty good for being kind of on the fly. Again congrats,I hope you feel better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW, Ramsey had nothing but good things to say about your driving skills. Coming from Ramsey that means a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!