Miller Auto Dark Helmets

V8Ranger

Reaction
I'm thinking about getting one (the millermatic "limited edition" ugly one) and am looking for input. The guy at the welding supply said they have been getting quite a few back because the lenses are failing. I almost went with the speedglas brand but they want $260+ for helmets with a sensativity adjustment. Thanks for your input.

Matt

motoxscott

Reaction
You get you pay for. My first auto helmet was a $150 Jackson and it was junk. It wouldn't always work all the time and it was way too dark, I could barely see what I was doing. I then picked up a Speedglas 9000X and it works 1000X better. I made the mistake of trying to save some $$$, but it cost me more in the long haul.

That doesnt answer your question about the miller version though ... sorry.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
If all you are looking for is a snesitivity adjustment, get a Jackson. I have had my Jackson autodark for almost a year now and I love it. The lense has not ever failed on me. It does not have any shade settings though, just sensitivity. It was around $120 I believe, and it works awesome. P.S. Did you ever get into a welding class at Mt. SAC?

In_the_works

Reaction
I've been using a miller autodark for about a year, and with a few exceptions, haven't had the lens fail to go dark immediately after striking the arc. I think that it's a good helmet for the money (less than $200) but I suspect that a speedglas would be of higher quality.

jaferri

Reaction
I work for San Deigo Welders Supply and we have had failure on the Miller helmets, but the reason is due to lack of product knowledge to the customer. T he helmet is good but it must be left in the sun to charge/recharge if it hasn't been in the sunlight for a week or more. I personally use a Speedglas 9000V and I love it. No batteries to charge, no hassles. If you don't plan on TIG welding you can get the Speedglas utility shade 10 helmet for $171.00. Best of luck, Josh

1992f150

Reaction
I have an Arc one model, pretty happy with it but I would have liked to get one that allows shade 5 for plasma and torch cutting, and no shade setting for grinding so it doesnt flicker on and off from the sparks. Only complaint is the button is under the plastic lens so its hard to cycle thru the shade menu with the lens in. Also when you work outside the sun will set it off sometimes, and when you work in dark spots like under a truck its hard to see anything since there is always alittle bit of a tint to it.

K5Blazer

Reaction
I have a Miller helmet and the lens did go out. I tried leaving it out in the sun for hours on end, I ended up taking it back to the welding shop I got it from and got a new lens. Took FOREVER for Miller to send a new lens. I dont know if it was the shop or Miller but it took about a month to get the new lens. In the mean time my father bought a lens off of the Snap On tool truck, its an Arc One brand helmet. It seems to work about as well as my Miller, but it cost $60 more.

V8Ranger

Reaction
Eric,

I never did get a chace to take the class at Mt. SAC

Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks like I should save up some more money and get the Speedglas.

Matt