• Forum membership has its advantages....

Miller Diversion 180????

atomicjoe23

I have one, but I haven't had much opportunity to use it yet. . .don't know about the water-cooled torch, the one thing I didn't like was the size of the gas cup it came with. Miller doesn't have any other size cups (physically I'm talking about here), but my Praxair guy was able to hook me up with a whole buch of different cup sizes for the torch by mixing and matching a little (I can get part numbers for you later).

The times I have used it went well (other than some really crappy SS that came my way). . .I plan on using it a bunch more next year, but I've been too busy with a move and new house this year to get much use out of it (have to get 220V power out to my new garage as well). I got mine for $1200 out the door with a bottle of Argon during Praxair's customer appreciation days which is about a grand less than it lists for on Miller's website.

GAME OVER?

Almost There
I really hope the offer a water cooled torch for it. From what I have read the duty cycle sucks. But I like the price point and AC/DC. Im sure at times I will push it beyond what its capable amperage is but for the most part Aluminium welding, light steel and .120 chromo roll cages down the road. I dont weld all day so I think I can work with the duty cycle. I would really like a syncrowave but there so dam big!

atomicjoe23

I think for what you are saying you are going to be doing you will be fine with the Diversion 180. . .I was kinda in the same boat as you. . .I wanted a Dynasty, but I can't swing that much green so it was a Diversion 180 for me, plus with the money I didn't spend on a Dynasty I will be putting torward a plasma cutter/Torchmate system.

GAME OVER?

Almost There
I bought a plasma and miller 250 mig years ago and it was the best thing ive done. I restore peterbiults, Kenworths and stuff like that and now getting into the higher end show builds. So im bringing alot of offroad inffluinces and boat race stuff into it and really doing some stuff the trucking community hasnt seen and they like it. So now time to stay ahead of the game. Im looking at the syncro200 to. The footprint is the same size as the 250 but its alot cheaper.

Brandon_Charley

Formerly "Cracka Racing"
Why can't you just change to a standard #20 sized torch and run a cooler? You don't need a cooler or torch specific to the machine, of the 4 water cooled machines I've used in my life 3 of them had stand alone coolers with separate power cables and on/off switches, including our current Dynasty. I changed my torch at work to a flexible head(never going to weld without one again) and it took 10 minutes.

tmathews

If you are looking for a water-cooled set-up... Try http://www.weldtec.com/

They have complete water-cooled kits to set you up. I.e. the cooler, torch, hook-up kit.. etc

atomicjoe23

Why can't you just change to a standard #20 sized torch and run a cooler? You don't need a cooler or torch specific to the machine, of the 4 water cooled machines I've used in my life 3 of them had stand alone coolers with separate power cables and on/off switches, including our current Dynasty. I changed my torch at work to a flexible head(never going to weld without one again) and it took 10 minutes.
I don't think there is any reason why you can't. . .I haven't needed to so I haven't looked any further into it personally.

If you are looking for a water-cooled set-up... Try http://www.weldtec.com/

They have complete water-cooled kits to set you up. I.e. the cooler, torch, hook-up kit.. etc
Thanks for the link!

JARDINE

Sure you can run a water cooled torch. If you want to do it real cheap run your cool water of of a faucet or something. Hot can go out to the garden or lawn. You shouldn't need any adapter either this way. If you get a water torch I like the Weld Craft. The lines are real flexible.

tmathews

By looking at the set-up for the Diversion 180... I am not sure if a water-cooled torch would even work. The OEM torch is hard-wired to the machine... Not saying it can't be done... But??

Weldtec in San Marcos should be able to answer the question.. better than I.

Brandon_Charley

Formerly "Cracka Racing"
On our Dynastys with factory coolers the water line doesn't even touch the welder. The foot control cord and the electrode cord come out of the machine, the waterline comes out of the cooler and they are all collected in the sleeve that leads to the torch. That is the factory setup from Miller.

By looking at the set-up for the Diversion 180... I am not sure if a water-cooled torch would even work. The OEM torch is hard-wired to the machine... Not saying it can't be done... But??

Weldtec in San Marcos should be able to answer the question.. better than I.

JimmyD

I weld the poop (can you say that?) out of my 180 (had it about 2.5 yrs), its an awesome welder, highly recommend it. Primarily, I weld 16ga SS. The torch is hardwired in, unless miller will do a conversion of some sort, i don't think a watercooled torch is an option... I serioulsy recommend though you get the foot pedal. I sometimes tig for 10 hours and by hour 7 my hand is killing me, mainly because the button on top of the torch and the ergonomics of it, recently i picked up the foot pedal made a huge difference.

5racer

torch, the one thing I didn't like was the size of the gas cup it came with.

i put a water cooled torch on my 180 with no water hooked up ,because i dident like the size of the one it came with ,i wraped the end with heat sheild that you use for a-n hose it gets hot when you burn alum but only after 30 min of welding ,been doing this for 10 years and not one problem with the machine .i like the 180 its small and easyer to move around than my miller 250 ,the 180 is great for cage work.

atomicjoe23

Thanks for the link mfs!

I've finally had the chance to use my Diversion 180 quite a bit so I figured I would follow up. . .I'm really happy with the purchase. I've been welding a combination of 1.5" x 0.120", 2.0" x 0.250", and 1.0" x 0.120" tubing for a friends truck and I haven't had a single problem with it. Even welding the quarter wall tubing I haven't hit the duty-cycle yet, but then again I can't weld all the way around a tube joint without stopping yet either. . .but I'm also pretty slow, so I probably take longer to weld what I'm welding than someone with more experience than myself.

The biggest problem I've had is that it's been two years since I've TIG welded anything so my first couple of welds were crappy (that's what I get for starting out on tubing instead of doing some practice runs first), but after I screwed up the first two joints I got back into the swing of things and the welds look MUCH better (not good enough to post in the "Pretty Welds" thread, but I'm confident in their integrity).

I would say that I'm very happy with the purchase for the price and I don't think I would need to upgrade to a different machine unless I was working in a commercial shop environment.

I serioulsy recommend though you get the foot pedal. I sometimes tig for 10 hours and by hour 7 my hand is killing me, mainly because the button on top of the torch and the ergonomics of it, recently i picked up the foot pedal made a huge difference.
My Diversion 180 came with the footpedal. . .and I would agree with the footpedal being a lot more comfortable than the finger switch, but I don't have any previous experience with a finger swtich either so it's new and foreign to me. I've noticed that the finger switch has been getting in my way a little bit now that I've been using the TIG machine latelty. . .particulary if I'm trying to get into a tight spot at a bit of an angle. . .if you can switch out the torches I may do that sooner rather than later so that the finger switch isn't in my way. . .

torch, the one thing I didn't like was the size of the gas cup it came with.
Like I said earlier. . .although Miller doesn't offer any gas cups that are physically smaller than the one it comes with you can get different collets, contact tips, and gas cups from Praxair that work very well under the ProStar brand (Praxair's in-house brand). . .they are much smaller and make it a lot easier to get into the tight spots that are so common in tube joints.

i put a water cooled torch on my 180 with no water hooked up ,because i dident like the size of the one it came with ,i wraped the end with heat sheild that you use for a-n hose it gets hot when you burn alum but only after 30 min of welding ,been doing this for 10 years and not one problem with the machine .i like the 180 its small and easyer to move around than my miller 250 ,the 180 is great for cage work.
I've been using my Diversion 180 a lot the past 2-3 days and I have noticed that the torch can get pretty warm, but I've been welding 2.0" x0.250" tubing so I've had the amperage turned up quite high. . .a water cooled torch would be a welcome addition that's for sure.