• Forum membership has its advantages....

Mini Stock Suspension Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillbilly

I know I'd like the ICON shocks for my truck. No question. But my local rules (in Canada) currently do not allow them, although we're working on it... so I'm back to a Bilstein 5125 or something similar instead. This is my first race truck I'm building so please bear with me. I am trying to keep the build on the cheap, that is the intent of this grass roots class of racing.

I was looking at some things and found that "Tuff Country" makes a shock that is the right size (about 12" travel) for a Toyota Tacoma with a 5-6" lift. It's a twin tube, 5/8" diam rod

The question is, does anyone short course race a mini-stock in a "conventional" nitrogen shock like this?? I don't want to run a 425 mile desert race, just a dozen laps.

I welcome anyone with FIRST HAND experience running these type of shocks to chime in. Not just everyone telling me that cheap=suck, expensive=awesome.

My truck is a 92 Ford Ranger extended cab 3L V6, and I plan on F150 coil springs up front and either a Deaver F31 leafpack (ideal) in the rear with an extended shackle (we're allowed up here), or maybe a stock leaf pack from some other vehicle. Axle over.

Thanks all!

wheeli

Funny Guy from the North, eh
Hey Chillybilly nice to have you on board,building this class was my main reason for starting the Tradex series,I know lots of guys use stock leafs in this class with good results and f150 front coils. I dont have any feedback on these shocks for you but I do know anyone thats run shocks like rancho 5000 basicaly throw them away after one race,I know of guys in this class running bilstiens that have been on the truck for 3 years without service.Come up to the korrbc race sept 11 and check out some of the trucks, enjoy life in corntown......

Chillbilly

Hiya wheeli,

I would figure these are probably much like a Rancho 5000, so dead after 1 race huh? Well that settles that. I'm looking to get this truck built asap on limited funds, but I also want to see the checkered flag. I've seen how hard it is to get these trucks to finish a race. I'm looking at a different leaf pack to help with the axle wrap issue, as well as offer a little more spring. I'm going to try and stay axle over spring if possible.

I've been to the Tradex races with a friend of mine (#73 Mini Stock). Congratulations and thank you for such a great job on that race series by the way \m/, I missed the last race but heard it was really well attended. I'll be coming out next year to your WCORC series!

We'll be coming up to the last two Kamloops races with the #73 truck, see you up there!

Coastal

Here are some bilsteins taking a bit of abuse from yesterday:

[video=youtube;bEQKHNyLwgU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEQKHNyLwgU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Chillbilly

Awwwwesome Rob!!! I wanna get mine done and come play wit you and Pete! I thought Pete busted some of his Bilsteins last race?

Coastal

These are basically mini stocks, I think the only difference is we are allowed a few engine modifications like Intake and cams. Other than that I think they are almost identical. Pete busted bilsteins, 3 of them actually, but it was a geometry problem, not a shock problem.

Random Thoughts Racing

I know I'd like the ICON shocks for my truck. No question. But my local rules (in Canada) currently do not allow them, although we're working on it... so I'm back to a Bilstein 5125 or something similar instead. This is my first race truck I'm building so please bear with me. I am trying to keep the build on the cheap, that is the intent of this grass roots class of racing.

I was looking at some things and found that "Tuff Country" makes a shock that is the right size (about 12" travel) for a Toyota Tacoma with a 5-6" lift. It's a twin tube, 5/8" diam rod

The question is, does anyone short course race a mini-stock in a "conventional" nitrogen shock like this?? I don't want to run a 425 mile desert race, just a dozen laps.

I welcome anyone with FIRST HAND experience running these type of shocks to chime in. Not just everyone telling me that cheap=suck, expensive=awesome.

My truck is a 92 Ford Ranger extended cab 3L V6, and I plan on F150 coil springs up front and either a Deaver F31 leafpack (ideal) in the rear with an extended shackle (we're allowed up here), or maybe a stock leaf pack from some other vehicle. Axle over.

Thanks all!
The shocks pictured are twin tube while the Bilstein is a monotube. Twin and mono are not even in the same performance category although for the layman they might look similar.

r.c.t.

Bring it Coastal! We all need to see more of these Trucks running, it will help the interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.