Mini Truck Soup 7,s,sx,7-2?,6,7200,7300,7100, 1450,1400

OldGreen

I thought maybe we'd create another 40+ page thread on the future of mini-truck racing since it was brought up again in another thread today. If the classes roll up the way I think that they should, my own team is in for a bunch of changes. . .but for the better. Here's my take:

There should be three classes for mini/mid sized trucks (some teams might fit elsewhere too, like class 3000, but whatev):

1. Unlimited (BITD 7200/SCORE Class 6 rules) All of the 7 opens and 7200 trucks compete here with the 7200s eventually taking over long term.
2. Stock (BITD 7100 rules (SCORE 7SX/S is just dumb)). All current 7s, 7sx,7100, 7300, Stock Mini race here with the latter having to step up a little.

and

3. Sportsman (everyone else)

Yeah, I'd have to buy fiberglass, reinforce the suspension pickup points, do uniballs and bumps, etc, but I have to be honest, there is no real good reason to keep 7300/SM when the competition and rules are so close to 7s/sx/7100. The "S" does stand for "Stock". I know that some say that maybe Ford would like to keep a stone stock class going in BITD, but Ford is killing the Ranger anyway and they haven't even marketed it for the last few years so. . .IDK, I haven't asked Cliff. Anywho, At V2R, there were 20 entries in 7200, probably 6 in 7100 and 3 in 7300. The 7200 number sounds right and should start attracting more entries than that, but if 7300 was eliminated, I know we'd race 7100. . .even before we made any changes so the entry count would go up. . .up is good? No? I'd even throw the 3100 Stock Mini SUV class in the mix. Gimme a break. . .one entry does NOT make a race.

So, then, You could easily cover ALL truck classes in a race on a TV show. . .TT, 8, SF/8100, 7200, 7stock. Heck, Maybe Class 8 even goes away (yeah, ouch, I know). I'd bet that overall entries would go up pretty quickly just based on the fact that the individual class counts would go up for the rolled up classes. Suddenly, You could actually get a decent check for winning a desert race in a mid-sized truck. . .especially with a little side bet. Is 40 entries in 7200 at Parker too much to ask? Maybe they'll be fast enough one day to get in on qualifying. . .

*disclaimer. . .I know that there is a big "what about" factor. . .like "what about Class XYZ"? I'm just thinkin' with the keyboard.

Now, for my question. . .WTH is 7-2?

Wahl_7s

Linked W/coilovers 7open /7200,factory suspension 7s/7100 period!!!

Wahl_7s

And don't get me started on 1400,1450.the got their own thing going anyway:confused:

OldGreen

It isn't that Sportsman Truck doesn't count, it is just a completely different animal. Let's not get that one going on this thread for sure.

FCORR

Good thread, I think consolidation would do a lot for these classes as well...

Regardless of what you name the class, here is what I think should exist for mini/mid size trucks...

7200 (open rules)

1500 (new MDR class), if you don't know about it go to MDR's website and read up, basically take your typical 7s truck and add a little width and a little more shock. I think current 7s trucks would do very well in this class.

Sportsman, for everything else...

OldGreen

yeah, but not really, that's a rollup class that has several different sets of rules. Same concept but a different application.

OldGreen

Regardless of what you name the class, here is what I think should exist for mini/mid size trucks...

7200 (open rules)

1500 (new MDR class), if you don't know about it go to MDR's website and read up, basically take your typical 7s truck and add a little width and a little more shock. I think current 7s trucks would do very well in this class.

1500 Sounds like a "kit" class. If it takes off, the kit manufacturers will for sure be in the mix. The trouble is that it is still an open class (travel, spring length/type, width, etc.) That makes it less of a level playing field for "stock" trucks. If you are limited to stock length springs and stock length suspension arms, the field becomes a lot more level.

/puts on marketing guy hat/: The unlimited class makes the RACE marketable (I wanna drink Monster cuz that really fast, sick gnar truck has it plastered on the side), while the 7stock class makes the TRUCKs marketable (I want a Ranger because that one that looks a lot like the one at the dealer wins desert races). /marketing guy hat off/

Wahl_7s

7200 (open rules)

that sounds fine but that exclude us from running any other series 7s is a stock class. sounds like 1450 w/leaf springs like it used to be! and mini and full size running in the same class?:confused:the only diff is you cant put a v-8 in a ranger doesn't say you can't build a 4.0 SOHC thats not a stock class!

07FJRog

For Old Green,
so you consider all those classes except 1450/1400 Pro classes??

SteveS

I wondered how the T group would work out. To the surprise of of us skeptics the results are Great . and not much whining from the truck guys . you should reread the post Samco posted and lookk at the VORRA web site for the points . You will see a plan that works great

pgarfinkle

I would agree that consolidation would be great for us. I like what PAB was saying on the other thread and i see some good points here as well.

The problem is getting all the racers to agree and move forward in the same direction with all of the sactioning bodies. It sucks to be legal in a certain class for one race but not for another.

I suggest three classes as mentioned before:

Class 6 - a tube frame open class
Class 7 - a factory frame with some other restrictions
Sportsman

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Now, for my question. . .WTH is 7-2?
This was bought up on another thread,

This is from SCORE's website under "Tech notes" This is SCORE's answer to BITD's 3000 class.

CLASS 7-2 / UNLIMITED 2.2/2.4-LITER TRUCK

DEFINITION - Unlimited 2.2/2.4 Truck. Maximum wheelbase 112 inches. Limited 2.2/2.4-liter sealed engine. Maximum wheelbase 112 inches.

CR23 ENGINE and ENGINE DISPLACEMENT
Stock GM Ecotec 2.2-liter or 2.4-liter engine. Engine must remain stock as delivered by the manufacture. Engine must be sealed by SCORE prior to being installed into vehicle. Must use stock Delphi MEFI ECU.

CR48 CHASSIS and BODY
Must have a truck body.

In response to your original question, until the different sanctioning bodies decide it's in their best interest to either consolidate or update the class rules instead of simply creating new classes, nothing is going to change. Some are simply unwilling to adopt rules of another sanctioning body, others are still stuck in the 1980's and unwilling to be progressive in updating their rules.

Instead, they create new classes.

OldGreen

For Old Green,
so you consider all those classes except 1450/1400 Pro classes??

yes, 7,7200,7100,7200,7200, 6,7s,and 7sx ARE pro classes. Am I wrong? Every time I sign an entry form I sign up for Pro entry fees and get a check if I win. . .;)

OldGreen

This was bought up on another thread,

This is from SCORE's website under "Tech notes" This is SCORE's answer to BITD's 3000 class.

CLASS 7-2 / UNLIMITED 2.2/2.4-LITER TRUCK

DEFINITION - Unlimited 2.2/2.4 Truck. Maximum wheelbase 112 inches. Limited 2.2/2.4-liter sealed engine. Maximum wheelbase 112 inches.

CR23 ENGINE and ENGINE DISPLACEMENT
Stock GM Ecotec 2.2-liter or 2.4-liter engine. Engine must remain stock as delivered by the manufacture. Engine must be sealed by SCORE prior to being installed into vehicle. Must use stock Delphi MEFI ECU.

CR48 CHASSIS and BODY
Must have a truck body.
Oh sure. . .I see. Funny how SCORE always tweeks things just a lil' bit. Sounds like SNORE's mini-metal class too. Plus an inch. ;)

FCORR

1500 Sounds like a "kit" class. If it takes off, the kit manufacturers will for sure be in the mix. The trouble is that it is still an open class (travel, spring length/type, width, etc.) That makes it less of a level playing field for "stock" trucks. If you are limited to stock length springs and stock length suspension arms, the field becomes a lot more level.

/puts on marketing guy hat/: The unlimited class makes the RACE marketable (I wanna drink Monster cuz that really fast, sick gnar truck has it plastered on the side), while the 7stock class makes the TRUCKs marketable (I want a Ranger because that one that looks a lot like the one at the dealer wins desert races). /marketing guy hat off/
Yes, the kit manufacturer's would love this. But replacement parts would be readily available and cheaper than "one off" or custom parts.

You can always put a limit on track width and suspension travel. I think opening it up a little beyond "stock" would make the class perhaps a little more attractive and create larger entries...

that sounds fine but that exclude us from running any other series 7s is a stock class. sounds like 1450 w/leaf springs like it used to be! and mini and full size running in the same class?:confused:the only diff is you cant put a v-8 in a ranger doesn't say you can't build a 4.0 SOHC thats not a stock class!
If you want to condense the classes, then yes some racers will have to modify their vehicles and they may no longer be legal in some class in other organizations...

As far as full size goes, you can modify the 1500 rules...I thought it might be a good starting off point for a mini truck class. Trying to throw some different thought into this conversation and another view point...

yes, 7,7200,7100,7200,7200, 6,7s,and 7sx ARE pro classes. Am I wrong? Every time I sign an entry form I sign up for Pro entry fees and get a check if I win. . .;)
1400 is a Pro Class, except in MORE...