Mint 400 Desert Clean-Up

Kilian

_
Reaction
The Mint 400, in partnership with Republic Services, has announced an industry wide desert clean-up event Saturday, March 2nd in Jean, Nevada beginning at 10:00AM. The goal of the event is to unite the off-road community and clean up waste dumped illegally in the Jean area as well as promote sustainable habits and responsible public land use to improve Southern Nevada’s pristine desert landscape. The Mint 400 Desert Clean-Up event is presented by Republic Services, held in cooperation with the Southern Nevada BLM office.

What: The 2019 Mint 400 Desert Clean-Up presented by Republic Services
Who: Volunteers from the Off-Road Community and Local Las Vegas Residents
When: Saturday, March 2nd 2019
Where: Jean, Nevada

We are asking participants to pre-register to account for supplies and order t-shirt sizes.

Click here to get registered.

Tentative Schedule:
10:00am-11:00am – Meet & Greet and Registration
11:00am-1:15pm – The Mint 400 Republic Services Desert Clean Up
1:15pm-2:00pm – Raffle Drawings

Event staging area located in Jean, Nevada, half-mile down on south side of Southern Nevada Liteweight Road.

In 2017, Republic Services partnered with The Mint 400 for their inaugural “Dash For Trash” event. Volunteers removed 14.54 tons of waste from the Nevada desert in the Jean area, but the team identified more work to be done. The Mint 400 and Republic services nearly doubled that number in 2018, clearing 22.06 tons (44,120 lbs.) of trash from our beautiful desert.

Participants at the clean up will receive a Mint 400 / Republic Services event t-shirt and automatically be entered into a massive industry raffle that will include thousands of dollars in donated off-road parts, accessories and swag from industry leading companies. Additional raffle tickets will be for sale onsite and all proceeds will go towards the cleanup costs.

Companies looking to get involved or donate product to the raffle can email us here.

mgobaja

Reaction
I think this is a great idea, although would it not make more sense to have it held after the race, so everything is left clean for any post event BLM inspection ?

J Prich

Reaction
I think this is a great idea, although would it not make more sense to have it held after the race, so everything is left clean for any post event BLM inspection ?
If there is no pre race clean up, there are several sections that are almost un raceable given the amount of junk that’s strewn about.

mgobaja

Reaction
If there is no pre race clean up, there are several sections that are almost un raceable given the amount of junk that’s strewn about.
ok, that makes sense . But then to keep the BLM from claiming it was done by Mint 400 racers / spectators / pitters - is this also done post race ?

J Prich

Reaction
ok, that makes sense . But then to keep the BLM from claiming it was done by Mint 400 racers / spectators / pitters - is this also done post race ?
If I’m not mistaken BLM has been involved in the clean ups so there is no need to “prove” who did it.

Edit - And to be honest, it’s no mystery where the trash has come from so there is not really any issue there.

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
Many of the BITD staff/volunteers such as course workers and rescue personnel pick up a lot around where they are and clean the spectator areas to be sure that we leave it better than we found it. I usually take home about 5 bags of trash from MINT. I never leave a race with less than 2 bags of trash from my pit areas in every race I work I start to clean as soon as I arrive in the morning and after the racers leave. I clean more before than after that is for certain. I have seen many crews at V2R police area around their pits before racers arrive. I have to say it is amazing what the racing community does as apposed to the average off road fanatic.

J Prich

Reaction
Many of the BITD staff/volunteers such as course workers and rescue personnel pick up a lot around where they are and clean the spectator areas to be sure that we leave it better than we found it. I usually take home about 5 bags of trash from MINT. I never leave a race with less than 2 bags of trash from my pit areas in every race I work I start to clean as soon as I arrive in the morning and after the racers leave. I clean more before than after that is for certain. I have seen many crews at V2R police area around their pits before racers arrive. I have to say it is amazing what the racing community does as apposed to the average off road fanatic.
Agreed, and just to be clear...the bulk of the problem in Jean is not racers and it's not even the average off road fanatic. And I'm fairly sure the BLM knows this. Aside from nails on the lake bed from fires, recreational OHV users are marginally contributing to the mess in Jean.

OldStroppeTeam

Reaction
J Prich and to your point, last year at the end of the cleanup, we were standing by the FULL dumpsters waiting for awards, a guy drove by with a SPA on a trailer. A few of us chased him down and stopped him with his spa, his guns and a WHOLE BUNCH of tannerite ! We not so politely asked him to dump his spa in the dumpsters , but he decided to leave and go elsewhere to blow up his spa !!

J Prich

Reaction
J Prich and to your point, last year at the end of the cleanup, we were standing by the FULL dumpsters waiting for awards, a guy drove by with a SPA on a trailer. A few of us chased him down and stopped him with his spa, his guns and a WHOLE BUNCH of tannerite ! We not so politely asked him to dump his spa in the dumpsters , but he decided to leave and go elsewhere to blow up his spa !!
LOL yeah we were there too. People are nuts and it's honestly a bummer to see how badly it's become in Jean really just over the last 8 or 10 years. It didn't used to be like that, but it's basically like a giant trash dump in some places now.

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
LOL yeah we were there too. People are nuts and it's honestly a bummer to see how badly it's become in Jean really just over the last 8 or 10 years. It didn't used to be like that, but it's basically like a giant trash dump in some places now.
If you are there this year we need to meet if we have not already. Always good to meet local forum members.

J Prich

Reaction
If you are there this year we need to meet if we have not already. Always good to meet local forum members.
Yeah 99% sure we'll be there so I'll shoot you a message prior. I'm sure we've crossed paths but just never formally met.

Kilian

_
Reaction
One big one is that the area where we primarily clean up (SPEC 2) is completely thrashed. It's embarrassing. We have people flying in from all over the world and we broadcast this section over our television and live stream show. It looks like we're racing through garbage. It's not the image we want portrayed.

Kilian

_
Reaction
Many thanks, @EMS702 !

SuperRanger

Reaction
I sure appreciate what you guys do. We were over where everyone shoots last weekend and it is disgusting, nearly impassable.

I can’t garauntee that we can make the cleanup but we will try. Either way, we left the desert a little cleaner than we found it.

Kilian

_
Reaction
We spent 2 full days scouting locations on the course for our live stream camera placements early last week. It was like this all over the place. Seriously lame.

IMG_4876.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

J Prich

Reaction

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
^^^ And what would you say the source is?

J Prich

Reaction
^^^ And what would you say the source is?
You can see it in the photo. It's irresponsible shooters. It has been for several years now in the Jean area. Didn't use to be that way even 6 or 8 years ago but multiple areas in Jean are basically trash dump/shooting galleries now.

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
I do not like going out that way to shoot. When I did, I put down a tarp to catch my brass and leave with it. Now I just go to Green Valley range and pay the $25 for the time I am there. I do not have any AR type weapons only one shot gun and several hand guns. My shooting needs are simple. When I do shoot outdoors its out north 95 and I take a box of garbage bags and clean area while I am there.

J Prich

Reaction
I do not like going out that way to shoot. When I did, I put down a tarp to catch my brass and leave with it. Now I just go to Green Valley range and pay the $25 for the time I am there. I do not have any AR type weapons only one shot gun and several hand guns. My shooting needs are simple. When I do shoot outdoors its out north 95 and I take a box of garbage bags and clean area while I am there.
I think the problem is you have an area that is easily accessible by a very large urban population. A lot of the folks that are out in Jean and Sloan shooting aren't necessarily "outdoor" people. Some are, but a lot of the folks trashing it up aren't generally the kind of folks who typically spend time outdoors recreating. They're mostly city people who don't really pay much regard to the area and just go out looking for a free range. And when they see other trash there, they follow suit. So it's a nasty downward spiral. I just hate seeing it in Jean. If you're the kind of person that wants to go out and shoot and not clean up, stick to the Sloan shooting area and go nuts. But it bums me out to see so many people going to the quarry area, the hidden valley canyon area, and even the Mint/SNORE pit area and trashing it. It would be nice if there were a way to at least keep the trash people in one place.