Mint 400 entry limit by qualifying ?

misterktm

Reaction
Admittedly, this pretty much stems from being on the waiting list when I sent my entry in the week prior to the parker 425...little frustrating.

So I'm poking around the KOH coverage and notice they qualified only so many cars and actually sent some home that didn't make the cut. I'm thinking maybe the Mint 400 boys could apply something similar ? Do we really need 150 UTV's ? I'll even stick my neck out and pick on the big boys...do we really need 75 trophy trucks ? How many of these are one race a year entries ? I race the complete BITD series, was last years class champion, shooting for another and may have to sit this one out. (Yes, I should have sent my entry in even earlier, I don't need reminded of that..) But I'm thinking if there is going to be a car count limit, perhaps it makes sense to do some sort of count limit on some of the huge classes (or have a separate event for them). By qualifying for those large classes it would weed out those once a year dreamers that are probably going to make a traffic jam or break in the first 10 miles anyhow. Not that I haven't broke in the first 10 miles myself...but I think it's a pretty safe bet that out of the mass of entries in some of the very large classes there is a decent percentage that should probably do a few smaller races and get things sorted out a bit before entering this race.

misterktm

Reaction
My other thought is to post a deadline date for entry forms to be turned in. Take all the entries that are sent in by that date and sort them by how many races were ran the previous year. Entries that ran all six last year are all in. I'm sure that wouldn't fill the roster, so move down to entries that ran 5 races last year etc. etc. When you get down to the point of more entries than open spots left, then you sort those by post mark date. For example you have enough spots for everyone that ran 3 or more races last year. But you only have 25 spots left for entries that ran two races last year. The two race entries would be sorted by post mark to fill the 25 spots.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
maybe you should of sent your entry form in earlier.........like everyone else did......

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
KoH has a different set up. Past winners and OG KoH get automatic entry. After that, you qualify thru various ultra 4 races thru the year. The few spots left open are for those that don't qualify thru the normal channel and go to a LCQ. That's where you see the guys that got sent home. They didn't make the last few spots from the LCQ.

As for you, being last years class champ, one would think defending champs of each class should have a spot for all races this season.

misterktm

Reaction
I think anyone that ran all six races the previous year should have some sort of seniority over the one time entrant. That just makes good business sense for BITD to me. I had a bad day at Parker and DNF'd...I miss the mint and I'm done for the year. BITD just lost an entry for the other 4 races. I'm sure there are at least several entries on that list that are only going to do this one race.

misterktm

Reaction
BITD said there was a good chance I'd get in. I'm very high on the wait list, that's about 150 deep...I'm only high on the list because my postmark is 1/30. I wonder how many other guys that raced all or most of last year are further down the list though.

ratoutahell

Reaction
That sucks for sure...with that said, it is common knowledge that the MINT fills up. I know it was part of my daily routine to check their website to see if entry forms were posted. I sent my entry in the day it was posted, registered mail.

AZFR8TRAIN

Reaction
Would you think this way if you had gotten your entry fees in on time ? ?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

clogking

Reaction
Did they say they had 150 UTVs? or did you pick that number? She did say that there were only 20 class 10s that's surprising! I am 3rd on the waiting list and i sent my entry the day i got it.

Baja Dad

Reaction
I say anyone that raced the first round and finished should be put on the top of the list.

then the First round racers that DNF'd
then the new guys.

GBRACER

Reaction
I would think if you race the whole season and you plan on it and you know the mint fills up you should be on it,

Rocket 450

Reaction
Part of reason behind why there are so many UTVS is it is "The Polaris RZR Mint 400". Not a UTV guy but Im assuming its probably there biggest race of the year. But where I would have a issue with B.I.T.D. is the UTV entry fees. These things are not the little "Golf Carts" they used to be. Some are as big as my 16 car, and most run a tire the same size as it also. Full sized car, full sized tire, on a full sized track, should mean a full sized entry.

ltr450rider

Reaction
It's been said many times on this forum before by people that are in the know with BITD explaining the reason why running qualifying is not as easy as it might seem. There are more course workers, longer hours to run all the cars, safety crew, etc.

I don't see there ever being a way to qualify 500+ vehicles for an event like this unless all those who enter are willing to pay a much higher entry fee to add the qualifying event for all cars, which half the racers are already complaining about.

Now, those who are class champs from the previous year and those who raced every race last year should get preferential treatment and entered for all races the following year, unless they fail to enter the entry forms on time. I feel the late entries could be handled in a looser, less-formal fashion within the organization and let some of these cases through if the team had good standing with the org.

Any new comers should be filled in and placed on the waiting list as entry forms are collected by date received.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
A year ago, we had 350 cap and had a waiting list of 60. This year we have a cap of 400 and have a waiting list close to 100 deep with more coming in every day.

The entry for this race is unlike anything in many many years of raving without a doubt. Mad Media has done some simply amazing things that despite naysayers and ridicule, everyone knows they need to be a part of it.

I’m not sure with a month left how many resolutions we will come up with but know that everyone associated will try and figure out a way to make it work. With the destruction at Parker and this weekends Battle at Primm looming, we will likely make it a good portion through the waiting list.

There are some other creative solutions that I’m sure will be worked in as well. This event is unlike any other in the US. And it just keeps growing!

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Reaction
Trust me, this drives me crazy. My brother and I talked about the idea of qualifying everybody but there are some racers who can't afford to take the time off or risk damaging there cars and we have this stupid thing called time that I can't seem to manipulate. I never want to lose the spirit of off-road which comes from the regular guy who can build a vehicle and go race the same course as the big teams. The spirit is truly the embodiment of being American "You Can Do it!" ideal. I can't stand the fact that we are limited at all. We are working on a bigger loop and multiple days of racing. We will never stop evolving and trying new things. Open to all your input.

Speedracer90278

Reaction
Trust me, this drives me crazy. My brother and I talked about the idea of qualifying everybody but there are some racers who can't afford to take the time off or risk damaging there cars and we have this stupid thing called time that I can't seem to manipulate. I never want to lose the spirit of off-road which comes from the regular guy who can build a vehicle and go race the same course as the big teams. The spirit is truly the embodiment of being American "You Can Do it!" ideal. I can't stand the fact that we are limited at all. We are working on a bigger loop and multiple days of racing. We will never stop evolving and trying new things. Open to all your input.
just keep doing what you are doing...it just keeps getting better.

J Prich

Reaction
Too many entries is a good problem to have.