Mint 400 in December

usmcgunrock

RDC Crypto
Really need camping in the pits. it was really hard to split our camp and set up two places. Had our crew back and forth and it was stressful. I think thats an easy fix and Jprich has already worked on how to improve that.
There was camping in the pits, at least for a few people. Lots of teams setup in the pits the night before and some camped. I was setting up pit for 4 cars and was lucky that we knew someone already setup or it would have been a real problem finding space. Also some of the TTs setting up pits when they didn't even have something running Friday.

usmcgunrock

RDC Crypto
Well, Im on hour 7 of pressure washing my truck, silt, rocks, a few well placed branches and huge pile of recovery gear to clean. Any of you who broke in the RM 44-48 area are gonna get a special Xmas gift.
Was it a lightbar or a tire with wheel? Being in class 11 I noticed a lot more stuff around then I get to in TT or 7.

LAZY-H

Large Member
RDC Crypto
Got a cool hat though!
7A655730-8E86-46DF-AAEF-A0F19712CACA.jpeg

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
No, getting into and out of there is brutal, no easy way, we got a few vehicles out of there and it was a massive job, Adlers Trophy Truck was a brutal tow across 2 racing lines and miles of silt access roads. I did get that great video of fastfelix leading Harley in the 8100.

dirtslinger

RDC Crypto
Out of curiosity. Was there anything in your size that wasn't carbon fiber.?

Not really, Jimco had one or 2 that weren't but they were too big for me. PCI had slim pickins they had a couple basic side air HJC's. Rugged I think only had the Carbon Impacts.

usmcgunrock

RDC Crypto
Hey J Prich can we get a limited class guy to help mark the course. Or course markers who do it in 2wd. If they can't go up something in a 2wd prerunner then more than likely a limited class aircooled will not be able to do it after lap 2. Also it would be nice if they had contingency plans for a bottle neck or course degrading to the point that people will be racing the clock. We had about an hour and 45 min downtime because the whole hill climb issue that no one could get up without being towed(class 11). Then timed out at the last pit on the last lap by 20 min.

usmcgunrock

RDC Crypto
No, getting into and out of there is brutal, no easy way, we got a few vehicles out of there and it was a massive job, Adlers Trophy Truck was a brutal tow across 2 racing lines and miles of silt access roads. I did get that great video of fastfelix leading Harley in the 8100.
Yeah that was me and Armando Ventura in the car. They catch us just as that two track got as deep as our tires. At the end of the video we finally could get out of the two track and pulled right and they went around.

usmcgunrock

RDC Crypto
The 11 in front of you literally rubbed the fenders and door on the side banks right there when they went by
I am sure we would have too but we were looking for a place to get off the track and let the truck by. Sometimes that's the way you have to do it with little tires and deep two track.

dan200

wholesome chickens
RDC Crypto
Not really, Jimco had one or 2 that weren't but they were too big for me. PCI had slim pickins they had a couple basic side air HJC's. Rugged I think only had the Carbon Impacts.
Thanks for the reply. They are hard to get in stock. I thought for sure there would be folks who were turned away because of the helmet rules.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
There was camping in the pits, at least for a few people. Lots of teams setup in the pits the night before and some camped. I was setting up pit for 4 cars and was lucky that we knew someone already setup or it would have been a real problem finding space. Also some of the TTs setting up pits when they didn't even have something running Friday.
The camping/pitting situation is something that will definitely get cleaned up for March. A little confusion in the process I think. By allowing folks to mark pits and drop stuff as early as Wed, as you noted some Saturday race teams had already claimed chunks of real estate that they weren't even using Friday. Should be a better flow for that for the next go around.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Check out this video from Connor and Carson going up Thumpers

They passed Bailey Cambell in the 4400 car at the bottom and just flat hauled ass up thumpers. 94mph The truck was absolutely dialed by SDG. Not many specs can even get on top going up hill, much less at 94mph.

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Im sure the Folks moto dealerships in Vegas sold a few helmets last week.............
Honestly if you get a carbon helmet you will never go back to a fiberglass one. The lightweight carbon helmet is a huge difference after getting your head jerked off for 400 miles . That little bit of weight savings on the helmet is a huge help on your neck!!!

DG_BTI

RDC Crypto
Used to be 30 to 40 class 10 cars in the mint but that is before entry fee went up to what it is today. So yea 10 cars is pretty sad.
I actually was one of those 10 cars at the mint back in the day. Yes, we had that many cars back then. Class 10 was heavy.

10 shot

RDC Crypto
I actually was one of those 10 cars at the mint back in the day. Yes, we had that many cars back then. Class 10 was heavy.
Yes it was crazy to be in the line of close to 40 cars. I remember being behind Warren when he broke the rear wheel off about 1/4 mile before the finish and he was leading! Parker still gets good numbers but no more 40 cars anymore.

highroad

RDC Crypto
The Mint 400 was great!
We are a new UTV race team, and we ran in the Rally class. I went into the event with some concerns that stemmed from my online reading. In the end, we felt the event was professional and run well. I can't imagine all the logistics that go into putting an event on like this! The parade was fun, sign up and tech were easy with no lines and a couple of the items that we needed to address, HDSQ had, and I picked them up before tech so it would go smoothly.

The grid and wait to start for classes in the back is a challenge in desert racing. We lined up about 8:30am and didn't leave the line until 10:55. We ended up sending the crew back for some food, and thank goodness for being able to pee down your leg with a catheter! I'm not sure what can be done about this, but this is my least favorite part of desert racing.

The race course was enjoyable, a mix of technical, ruff, and some big whoops and holes. I was amazed at how many course workers were out and about! The course change on Friday was a surprise, but it was well marked, and we caught on pretty quick when we realized what we had just bypassed.

We might have received a spectator pass in our race bag from signup, but if not, it was a bummer to have to drive back to Primm to get one to be able to spectate on Saturday in the remote spectator areas.

We will definitely race the Mint again,
Brent