MINT 400 Pit accident 100% inexperience

JaysinDesignz

Not sure why this hasn't hit our drama board, But, after seeing this angle MAN MAN MAN MAN.
100% why I get pissed and look down upon guys who refuse to help prep or at the shop.
Being on the team isn't race week or race day.

I don't know this guy or his efforts into the team. But, it rings in my ears when guys give me excuses of girlfriend wont let them come over today or I see they are out getting smashed. Then race week want to show up one time to help for 2hrs. Or only show up race day.
I dont always need the help (YES I DO) but I want you to know the car, me & be comfortable about the car.

This guy had one job & it wasn't wiping lights in the day light or pulling on the dam truck. Then stand clueless on the guy he 100% hurt or could have killed.

1.) stand in front of the truck and account for all crew members
2.) make sure all crew is accounted for any away from the truck
3.) communicate in those fancy headphones to the driver & codriver.
4.) before releasing the driver, make sure no trucks are coming.
5.) Give the ok to reenter the race course.

He stands clueless instead of rushing to his faults.

punchdrunk monkey

Wholly crap! I saw the video from the other side and I thought the driver must of let off the brake and that was why the truck moved. I am a "jack guy" on a TT team. This is my biggest fear of the truck falling off the jack. I have had the truck move while doing a driver change, due to driver releasing the brakes to get out. There are tire changers that put their legs under the truck to help control/lift the tire on. I'm not a fan of that method, but who am I to tell them to not too. If anyone "goes under" the truck, AT LEAST throw a spare tire under there.

y2kbaja

Crew members were damn lucky on this one. Yeah, what was the point of pulling the truck.

On another note, crews should have a back of the car release man. Only he can tell the front man to release the car. Everyone puts their hands up but what if a crew man is under the car. Get my drift. If 5 people raise their hands that the car is clear but there are 6 crew members someone isn't accounted for. This is something we are doing in our pit now. Only 1 guy in the back of the car tells the front of the car the car is ready for release. The front guy only looks for the 1 guy in the back of the car to say the car is good for release.

Blood Eagle

Class Act
Driver not present to hold the brakes which is standard and you can see why. Wheel chocks under the front tires if there is no driver to hold the brakes and this whole thing could have possibly been avoided. You live and learn.

Crusty Shellback

Front man looks back at one rear guy, usually the guy on the fuel dead man valve. If a guy goes under the truck, those not involved point to the guy under the truck. You also got to let the front guy know someone is under the truck. That's how our pit runs.

And there is no reason to pull on the truck like that when it is up in the air. Not sure what the guy was trying to do, straighten out the push bar?

People can't always make it to every pit meeting, it's a 400 mile round trip for me. But pit walk thru AT THE PIT BEFORE THE RACE helps a lot. Then people know what their job is and who is around them. If you have a new guy, then make sure someone is checking up on him once their job is done. We all watch each others backs. There is no one else out there to do it.

Tipracer

He’s a very lucky man. Had he been under the rear axel or more under the trailing arm it would have been a very different story. Great learning experience for everyone. I have always thought the pads on the jacks were way to small...

RYAN COHEE

We can all arm chair quarterback this all day long. Just remember its off road racing and not a osha approved sport. Youth Theory is a solid team and mistakes happen. No off-road team is going to use jack stands during a driveline or tire change.

Racing Ron

We can all arm chair quarterback this all day long. Just remember its off road racing and not a osha approved sport. Youth Theory is a solid team and mistakes happen. No off-road team is going to use jack stands during a driveline or tire change.
Really? Unless you're changing the driveshaft while the tires are on the ground, tell me how much time you lose putting jack stands under the truck while changing the driveshaft?

RYAN COHEE

Really? Unless you're changing the driveshaft while the tires are on the ground, tell me how much time you lose putting jack stands under the truck while changing the driveshaft?
So jack stands work well in the sand or dirt ?
Tires not being on was the mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Bro_Gill

I would say that any time the vehicle is jacked up, tires on or off, the foot should be locked on the brake. Helps in more than just preventing the car from rolling off the jack.

Robin Hood

Yea...everything you guys say is great in theory. Would have, could have, should have! We have seen so many top teams have issues there it no way every team is going to solve all these issues.

And it amazes me that all you guys, preaching about saftey don't wear helmets everyday in your daily driver...because heaven forbid you might get in a car accident...flame on!

green787

In the end we are all responsible for our own safety.... So, I personally would not go under a vehicle unless it was safe... Just a jack in the sand is not safe... I would change tires, and a lot of things, except getting under the truck... If someone is under the truck, then and extra measure of safety is needed....

Kyle D

I’m glad everyone is for the most part ok and I hope they learned from their mistake. That’s the big problem I see in my industry as well as most of the world is people not learning from their mistakes. That was a warning shot for all teams to take notice to. Next time might not be so lucky no matter who it happens to.

Bro_Gill

I spent 32 years helping people out of their poor decisions. Even with signs, barricades, warning lights, etc... People still do stupid things and get hurt. This wasn't so much a stupid thing as a not thinking thing. Now they know and will improve. Just about everything we have for safety in this world comes from some tragedy. Even the first cave men burned their hands a few times learning to cook meat.

J Prich

Crazy that on the internet even stuff like this because combative. Trying to assign blame is not really the point here. The bottom line is there is probably a safety lesson to be learned for some folks and a reminder to be careful about certain things. That's not really debateable or worth arguing over.

JaysinDesignz

My point is this experienced guy did a very stupid thing for 100% no reason at all.
You guys wanting to be apart of a team is more than just showing up race day.
This is a fine example why.

JON-E

IMG_0547.jpg

I think the jack stands work great in the dirt as evidenced by this driveline change by the HerbstSmith Fab crew at Pit B.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Bricoop

Yea...everything you guys say is great in theory. Would have, could have, should have! We have seen so many top teams have issues there it no way every team is going to solve all these issues.

And it amazes me that all you guys, preaching about saftey don't wear helmets everyday in your daily driver...because heaven forbid you might get in a car accident...flame on!
The point of the post is to educate...same reason we watched Red Asphalt in drivers' ed.