• Forum membership has its advantages....

Mint 400 race time/day Changes

mebedb1

Class 10 & 7 move into the "Adult" race, and there is a New start time of 11:30 a.m. . UTV's move to Friday.

J Prich

Contacted the BLM but they wouldn't agree to a 27 heat format unfortunately so some people will have to race together it looks like.

J Prich

At least we have weight and engines in the front. Class 10’s, not so much.
I get it. A TT smashing a 10 car would be bad. But aren't there 100 other scenarios that would also be bad? When a 10 smashes a UTV or....rolls a Class 11, is that not too a safety issue? If the 10s are too fast to be safe with sportsman UTVs, Class 11s, etc...but too light/small to be safe with TT's, how many heats does a race need to be safe?

Again I'm not trying to dismiss the value of the safety concern...its ALL a safety concern. But two weekends ago SNORE ran this course on a 40 mile shorter loop....with TT's, 1's, and 6100s on course with not just Class 10's but all kinds of limited buggies and UTVs too, no one I know flew the safety flag. And oh by the way, no trackers/push to pash, etc. There is not one single comment I can find anywhere of anyone blasting SNORE for shortchanging racer safety, risking lives and the future of our sport, etc. As far as I can tell everyone is mostly pretty ok with that.

There is a risk of a TT running in to the back of a 10 car. But in my view, no more unsafe than the risk of a TT running in to the back of a UTV or limited car still on course last year, the year before, etc.

fishd00d

What A Joke
So I did some quick math, there is now 65 Entries in the Saturday race. There is 20 Class 10 cars and 4 Class 7, 19 TTs. Passing may be a safety issue for sure but with only that many cars it honestly probably wont be much of one since by the time the TTs are lapping some of them will be out by then, plus there is less than 7-10 "Fast" TTs racing anyways, the others might not even lap anyone.

The bigger issue I see is logistics.

1. Some people were going to race on Friday and Saturday in two different classes, now they cant do that since the cars they were going to race are combined into the same heat now.

2. Some people planned to work contingency or be at contingency on Friday, now they have to race on Friday instead if they were also helping a race car from the Saturday morning heat.

3. A lot of the Saturday morning chase crews and pit guys were not going to arrive to Vegas till Friday, now they have to take an extra day off work and get there Thursday. Not to mention they now need to book a room for Thursday night at the last min.

4. A lot of people were planning to run the Saturday morning race and head home after it, now the race doesn't start till 11:30 so it wont be over till much later in the day and driving home after is not a good option, so now they have to book a room at the last min on Saturday night in Vegas.....

Those are just a couple quick issues I can see from this.

Reasons why they did this? I have 2 guesses both of which im sure played a role.

1. The Saturday afternoon heat was going to have about 40 vehicles in it, that wouldn't be too exciting to watch or make for much of a show for TV/Internet.

2. The cost of having paid media filming, helicopters filming, medics, course workers, food vendors, or anyone else that might be paid hourly working say 16 hours in the day cost X amount. But if you combine it to one heat for 8 hours in the day you are now spending 1/2 of cost X amount which could be a big $ savings.

Strictly my .02 on the matter

MTPyle

Logistics are hard for the Mint. We have talked about our plan a ton and I imagine many other teams have also. Now they have to change things. I am sure there was a good reason to make the changes and everyone will adapt.

To be honest we still have not figured out all the moving parts. With parade, qualifying, pit set up, tech, and the race we need to be in 3 places at once and they are spread all over. For a small teams is a real challenge.

Mike

paranoid56

Logistics are hard for the Mint. We have talked about our plan a ton and I imagine many other teams have also. Now they have to change things. I am sure there was a good reason to make the changes and everyone will adapt.

To be honest we still have not figured out all the moving parts. With parade, qualifying, pit set up, tech, and the race we need to be in 3 places at once and they are spread all over. For a small teams is a real challenge.

Mike
how small of team do you think you could race this?

J Prich

So I did some quick math, there is now 65 Entries in the Saturday race. There is 20 Class 10 cars and 4 Class 7, 19 TTs. Passing may be a safety issue for sure but with only that many cars it honestly probably wont be much of one since by the time the TTs are lapping some of them will be out by then, plus there is less than 7-10 "Fast" TTs racing anyways, the others might not even lap anyone.

The bigger issue I see is logistics.

1. Some people were going to race on Friday and Saturday in two different classes, now they cant do that since the cars they were going to race are combined into the same heat now.

2. Some people planned to work contingency or be at contingency on Friday, now they have to race on Friday instead if they were also helping a race car from the Saturday morning heat.

3. A lot of the Saturday morning chase crews and pit guys were not going to arrive to Vegas till Friday, now they have to take an extra day off work and get there Thursday. Not to mention they now need to book a room for Thursday night at the last min.

4. A lot of people were planning to run the Saturday morning race and head home after it, now the race doesn't start till 11:30 so it wont be over till much later in the day and driving home after is not a good option, so now they have to book a room at the last min on Saturday night in Vegas.....

Those are just a couple quick issues I can see from this.

Reasons why they did this? I have 2 guesses both of which im sure played a role.

1. The Saturday afternoon heat was going to have about 40 vehicles in it, that wouldn't be too exciting to watch or make for much of a show for TV/Internet.

2. The cost of having paid media filming, helicopters filming, medics, course workers, food vendors, or anyone else that might be paid hourly working say 16 hours in the day cost X amount. But if you combine it to one heat for 8 hours in the day you are now spending 1/2 of cost X amount which could be a big $ savings.

Strictly my .02 on the matter
Both valid. Also consider that given most classes are going to 428 miles (versus 354) last year, even with a 5am start Sat morning at least half of some of the larger classes wouldn’t be able to finish. And given how many people seem to be worried about TT on 10 problems, no one seems to be bothered by the fact that with an am race you’d still have a lot of vehicles (slower and more vulnerable than 10s mind you) out on course when the TTs start.

I personally think the two day/one race per day model has an upside. It’s less positively viewed now because of the change in expectations but I bet if this were the expected format from the beginning, it probably would be seen a lot more positively.

J Prich

how small of team do you think you could race this?
We did it 5 straight years in a 7100. Handful of people in main, a tire changer or two in Pit A and Pit B...or even partner up with another team to pit with...I don’t think you need a lot honestly. Obviously different classes and commitments can make it more complicated.

Best logistics move we managed was to hook up with our VisionX buddies to display the truck at their hauler. Spend half the tech day enjoying the vibe, then pushed in line early afternoon already 3/4ths of the way through the process. Was glorious, lol.