• Forum membership has its advantages....

Mint 400 race time/day Changes

ndvalium

Rescue Director
But it's the MINT 400!

BULLSHIT it's a MONEY THING

The end is near let's see what next year brings (que cricket sound)
I can tell from your statement you have a very rigid predisposed attitude and opinion on The Mint 400. I won’t try and sway you but I will offer you my opinion:

I am ecstatic for this change because for a couple hundred volunteers out working for my team and the Mint 400, they get some actually down time between races that many were not going to get originally. The event also means that the majority of the Saturday race is in the light which makes it better as a professional spectator with only a lap or so in the dark for those that may be struggling or not at full speed.

The timing sucks. That is 100% true. but having a race for 40 cars on a over 100 mile course was not a valid race so they made the call to move it around.

One of the things that sets this group, The Martellis, apart from most other organizations is their not only ability, but desire to do things different. Every race has something different in it. Always re-inventing the event. I personally respect that and they have shown on many occasions that they accept criticism and feedback openly and adapt things for the next event.

For a million different reasons, the attendance for this race and others is down this year. My message time my team is constant. We will adapt, overcome and roll with it.

The sport doesn’t need failure. There is room for additional promoters put on quality events. Every single racer, crew, and spectator should wish this event the same success that we do every other race series out there. They give us options. They give us variables. They give us a place for our passion.

fishd00d

What A Joke
The event also means that the majority of the Saturday race is in the light which makes it better as a professional spectator with only a lap or so in the dark for those that may be struggling or not at full speed.
This is not correct. It’s actually the exact opposite. The classes that are now racing Friday afternoon instead of Saturday morning will now mostly finish in the dark.
The classes that were going to race Saturday morning and now don’t start till 11:30 are going to for sure finish in the dark. Remember it gets dark at 6pm. There is no way in hell most classes are going to average over 60mph!! Almost everyone is going to finish in the dark now besides the winning TT.

J Prich

This is not correct. It’s actually the exact opposite. The classes that are now racing Friday afternoon instead of Saturday morning will now mostly finish in the dark.
The classes that were going to race Saturday morning and now don’t start till 11:30 are going to for sure finish in the dark. Remember it gets dark at 6pm. There is no way in hell most classes are going to average over 60mph!! Almost everyone is going to finish in the dark now besides the winning TT.
Its not untrue, you're actually both right. The Saturday afternoon race WILL have more daylight. First truck will be off the line at 11:30am instead of 2:00pm. Under the two race in one day format, the morning heat would have to start at 5am (meaning at least an hour of darkness) AND most would still probably not have enough time to finish before the unlimiteds start. So Dave's point that more of Saturday racing will happen in the daylight IS true.

And you are also correct that now the Saturday AM folks will have more time in the dark, on Friday. But they'll also have a lot more time, and UTVs won't have TT's running them down starting 3/4ths of the way through their race.

J Prich

racing at night going slow is safer i feel, i remember being able to tell a faster car was comming from Way back at night from the headlights, & isn't racing at night, aaaa, a key part of off road desert racing??
I assume people aren't against racing at night. Its the change in logistics that's the issue. A lot of people who expected this race to be in daylight may not have planned for lighting...but again the Saturday am was going to start at 5am anyway so there would have been some darkness racing regardless.

pdailey

Racer
We didn’t get any rooms for Saturday night as we were all planning on racing at 6am Saturday morning and heading straight home from there. Hope we still finish at a decent time. That is honestly my biggest concern at the moment.
That being said, I’ll go out on a limb and say the majority would rather start a little earlier than 11:30. 9am start would have been perfect IMO.

DG_BTI

why do you think there are so few entries ant the San Felipe race? ************figure the keyboard guys can start early

fishd00d

What A Joke
why do you think there are so few entries ant the San Felipe race? ************figure the keyboard guys can start early
Because it’s a month away and Offroad racers wait till the last min for everything. Plus it hasn’t been updated in a week.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
I should have said those racing Saturday afternoon would be more in the light. My apologies I wasn’t clearer in my comments.

mebedb1

Finishing in the dark sucks for their live coverage, no helicopters in the dark, can’t film for **** in the dark.....more disadvantages to finishing in the dark then advantages. Also the dust is harder to see through in the dark. The list goes on.
The Main event was going to finish in the dark anyway.
Now they have another 2-1/2 hrs. of daylight to fly, film...

J Prich

Finishing in the dark sucks for their live coverage, no helicopters in the dark, can’t film for **** in the dark.....more disadvantages to finishing in the dark then advantages. Also the dust is harder to see through in the dark. The list goes on.
This seems to work out ok in Baja...

fishd00d

What A Joke
This seems to work out ok in Baja...
Actually it doesn’t. Their coverage sucks once it gets dark. They don’t have much for live coverage once it’s dark in Baja since the same thing with no helicopters and you can’t film at night. Some of the most dangerous driving happens in the dark also.

How much are you getting paid by Martellis to defend anything anyone said that’s against or critiquing their decisions on this? It’s amazing!

cwarren

I just talked to Luke McMillin and Bryce Menzies. They would prefer starting earlier as well. Would love to hear from a couple of Class 10 racers @cwarren ?
Absolutely, personally the earlier the better. I'm not sure who it wouldn't be better for? Racers, spectators and course workers. The appeal of one of the best limited races is now gone since it's combined with the unlimited cars. Starting mid day and running into the night would be even worse.

J Prich

Actually it doesn’t. Their coverage sucks once it gets dark. They don’t have much for live coverage once it’s dark in Baja since the same thing with no helicopters and you can’t film at night. Some of the most dangerous driving happens in the dark also.

How much are you getting paid by Martellis to defend anything anyone said that’s against or critiquing their decisions on this? It’s amazing!
Not as much as you get paid to be an internet troll, which is equally amazing. Sorry for having the audacity to share a different POV.