• Forum membership has its advantages....

Mint 400 race time/day Changes

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Yep....Im not racing Mint this year.....because of this ****! Alot bike guys travel a long way and spend thousands!! Theyve screwed the dog on this one!! Giving money back does nothing to help!! Ran fine last year with BITD!
Appreciate all your volunteers help!!! Not your fault but Im sure you guys had to put up with decisions made by promoters!!
Ran fine? When you were involved with it last year you must have missed the anger, frustration and outright hurt feelings at the finish line of the Bike race when they got a Grand Prix finish on the same two laps they had in the race this year. Some only got one lap.

ekozy39

Who is this clown talking on the livestream with the british accent? How do you shut that guy up?
Same guy announces on KOH feed and everyone loves it, bring him to Mint and he’s hated.. pretty sums up the bias.. It’s like giving someone a blind test of two identical things letting them think they are different and based on brand, who made it, country of origins, they’ll “love” one so much more haha

isdtbower

Same guy announces on KOH feed and everyone loves it, bring him to Mint and he’s hated.
It's hard to be the voice of the producer, the sponsors, and guide the conversation of the experts. He did try to relate DEZ to KOH. The DEZ guys learned a lot from a few years of Ultra4 4wd. Bumping up the dez sections of KOH at 90-120 instead of the original 40-80.

Of course the Dez fabricators brought 4 bar and rear motors, so I guess it was all intended evolution. Amazing the evolution in the last 5-10 years in the unlimited "classes"

Last edited:

Fire1998

Not many happy people on here!! Read comments. I was not there this year but 3 years before......sounds like a clusterf#$k! Martellis need to stick with media and not promoting! They will not recover from this! They own "Mint" which is not a good thing! Been racing BITD for 15 years and never had this type of experience! I raced the LV 300 when a monsoon came in before race and it ran smoother than this from what Ive read and heard.

joshmx88

Same guy announces on KOH feed and everyone loves it, bring him to Mint and he’s hated.. pretty sums up the bias.. It’s like giving someone a blind test of two identical things letting them think they are different and based on brand, who made it, country of origins, they’ll “love” one so much more haha
I heard the same guy on the koh live stream too, hearing him chattering again on another big race I just had to say something. Nothing to do with which race it is, they are both great events in their own perspective, I just dont like the guy who doesn't know much about the sport from england talking over the trucks.

green787

I don't mind the British accent, it ads an international flare to the show..... It just seemed like they were trying to sell their moms on off road safety, so she'll buy them a UTVee or something....They even compared unlimited suspension to their street car suspension.... I was like.... really bro...??? Tiffany's commentary and interviews were spot on, and informative.... They just need to say what car is on the screen, because we can't see the numbers on our cell phones.... Instead they were like.... hey look at that car go...!!!!

MTPyle

There were a lot of good things about the race and a lot of bad things. From our perspective it was a logistical nightmare as it was last year. But the race and course seemed good. Lots of rescue and help out there.

Course wasn’t marked great. For sure not up to BITD specs. But it wasn’t horrible. I had a issue knowing where the speed zones were. They were just marked with normal 25mph signs that looked just like the street signs. I flew over the bridge and realized crap I think this is a speed zone. I should have known better but it also should have said speed zone somewhere in a huge sign.

I am sure the Mertellis will learn and solve some of the problems. They had a lot of very experienced people out there helping them.

One thing that was hard for us was there was no schedule for racers. The event schedule was more for spectators. Example was staging. It only said grid walk was 10:30. But didn’t say when we should stage. That’s a small example of how they focused well on the spectators but not as much on the racers.

The spectators looked filled and super well done. There was by far more people watching the race this year than last. So they did that right.

I just wish there wasn’t as many Spectators to see me blow the berm on the start. Haha. But man I sent the jump.

Overall it was about the same for us as last year. Hard to be in 3 places at once but it was a good show and event.

Thanks to all the course workers out there helping us and keeping us safe. Unfortunately we were last on course again so we got a chance to talk to them and have them help us. LOL.

I don’t think any event is perfect. You usually get really great stuff in one aspect and not so much in another. BITD does not do as well promoting the event like Mad Media does. Too bad that partnership didn’t work as they both balanced each other out.

Mike

paranoid56

its ok, i think the only bad one was the utv that rolled at the first corner :D the crowd was much much larger on sat then friday. But i will say having free booz and food on saturday was nice lol

Jimmy8

Tough crowd. Not an easy thing hosting a 9 hour livestream. I’ve hosted the ones at Crandon that were 10 plus hours, but that’s with a fresh race every 45 minutes. 400 plus miles nonstop is a complete different animal and at some point you have to have conversation. 9 hours of “There goes Luke making a hard right” would be pretty monotonous. You also have to realize that if you couldn’t tell what the car was on the livestream video, chances are we couldn’t from the booth calling the race either as we had the same feed and information as you. I would say between Bob Bower, Ryan Thomas, and myself we have over a century of experience with the sport, so I’d say most everyone up there is pretty well versed in desert racing. Jim Marsden brings in some international flavor, and that’s never a bad thing. Were things perfect? Absolutely not, but I would say that the offroad community having the opportunity to pick apart an announce team of a 9 hour livestream of arguably one of the most exciting desert races in a while means the sport is headed in a positive direction. Thanks to everyone who tuned in, and thanks to everyone who called, texted, and posted kind words. The entire production crew worked their ass off, and Luke deserved his achievement to be shown live to the masses like it was.

y2kbaja

You, Bob and Ryan were great to listen to. Filling the 'dead' air in a 9+ hour broadcast can be difficult for sure. The old race stories is something some of us could listen to for hours. So it's great to fill in. For me Jim gets old when everyone is doing a 'fantastic job', or 'that young man has a...'. The repetition of words out of his mouth, ugh. But, at times, he did do a good play-by-play and kept pulling the veteran announcers back to the race. I watched both Friday and Saturday and would do it again.

green787

Tough crowd. Not an easy thing hosting a 9 hour livestream. I’ve hosted the ones at Crandon that were 10 plus hours, but that’s with a fresh race every 45 minutes. 400 plus miles nonstop is a complete different animal and at some point you have to have conversation. 9 hours of “There goes Luke making a hard right” would be pretty monotonous. You also have to realize that if you couldn’t tell what the car was on the livestream video, chances are we couldn’t from the booth calling the race either as we had the same feed and information as you. I would say between Bob Bower, Ryan Thomas, and myself we have over a century of experience with the sport, so I’d say most everyone up there is pretty well versed in desert racing. Jim Marsden brings in some international flavor, and that’s never a bad thing. Were things perfect? Absolutely not, but I would say that the offroad community having the opportunity to pick apart an announce team of a 9 hour livestream of arguably one of the most exciting desert races in a while means the sport is headed in a positive direction. Thanks to everyone who tuned in, and thanks to everyone who called, texted, and posted kind words. The entire production crew worked their ass off, and Luke deserved his achievement to be shown live to the masses like it was.
I'm really tolerant of a bunch of nonsense...... but there were times I had to shut off the audio because it became annoying.... Let me be more clear with my criticism.... Watch old episodes of Superman.... In every scene they say the names of who is in the shot.... That's because it was written for radio..... On a 9hour live stream, viewers are bound to open up a new window on their computer and do other business... So, we are merely listening to the action.... If it gets dicey enough we switch screens to see what's going on.... If the announcers are not calling the race like "Luke making a hard turn there" we don't know what's going on..... All we know is that you want us to know how much you know..... It becomes a vicious cycle.....OOPS.... MUTE....!!!!

When the announcing team elaborated on how this win will put Luke into the spotlight, and you can't call it a fluke, that's when the color commentary was spot on..... focus on more of that.... This is hero worship.... We worship what they do, not what they have or who they are..... We ALL want to be Bryce flying across the desert in our $810K 4wd truck at phenomenal speeds, but we know there is only room for a very few at the top.... So verbally put us in the truck.... Kind of like when Rob Mac was shaking his head in frustration....

Last edited:

AZracefan

I don’t think any event is perfect. You usually get really great stuff in one aspect and not so much in another. BITD does not do as well promoting the event like Mad Media does. Too bad that partnership didn’t work as they both balanced each other out.

Mike
Mad Media has the Mint 400 once a year to prepare for and promote. BITD has a series to run throughout the year that consists of 8 races. Once one race is over its onto the next. Nothing against MM, i just don't see BITD having the ability to promote as much as the mint for each of their races. Parker 425, KOH and Mint are close on the schedule for many teams, however Mint and Koh is a one time race, Parker is the beginning of a series.

jon coleman

hey people, at least its offroad racing, And its 9 hours, if it gets tedious from the commentary , just watch a few minutes of the pir cup race & you'll come Running back thinking 'wtf Was i thinking!!!'

Frank13

The coverage was next level! Better than the local broadcasts here in Vegas haha. I didn’t mind the commentary at all. To us die hard fans who know everything about everything, I can see how it would annoy some of you. But you have to think of the person watching who might not have even seen a desert race until now. Have to remember it wasn’t that long ago we didn’t have any coverage.

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
I literally watched the entire race.... ALL FRICKIN DAY! I will say that after so much commentating you would think they would know where each camera was located.. Got that confused quite a few times but I know that dez like the back of my hand. My main complaint was Martelli…….. All that dude does is try to sale things.. His true knowledge of off road racing showed or lack there of I should say. He's quite the "One upper". LOVED the in-car in Mac's car, they need to do that in a couple more next year and a few 10 cars as well. I won't race with these douche bags again but I'll watch the race for sure.

Rennsport Group

Please allow me to also add my .02 cents here. Having been part of many announce and live-stream crews, my perspective is that what you enjoyed from the Mint 400 was not perfect, but epic nonetheless. It was fun being part of the team. Doing nine hours of coverage versus voice-over on an edited television show are two entirely different things. If you think it's easy, next time turn down the volume and try it yourself. I thought the guys killed the live coverage, and having a group of diverse voices in and out of the broadcast chairs all day made it fresh. I really enjoy Jim Marsden's perspective, he is a KOH racer in Europe and is learning about American off-road racing pretty quickly. As to sales within the broadcast, you have NO idea how much all of this effort, resources, planning and execution costs. Question...would all of us be happier with pay-per-view coverage?

450grl

I was able to tune in quite a bit during the day both days to see what was happening, plus I had weatherman on, so between the live stream and listening to the weatherman feed, it was a fantastic way to keep tabs on what was happening both days.

Commentary was great, coverage was great, live feed was great - I would sat the quiet masses greatly appreciate the effort, time and money that went into coverage of this magnitutude and quality for a desert race, nonetheless!

Great job you guys!!