• Forum membership has its advantages....

Mint 400 race time/day Changes

green787

I mostly watched and enjoyed the full nine hours.... But we admit that this is in it's infancy, so I am merely pointing out the parts that annoyed me... Jim Marsden talks really fast, so when he's calling the race we get a lot of information... He needs spotters on a headset helping him..... a line producer, or assistant director.... and then when the others are adding their color commentary he should not apologize for interupting them with the race.... Now instead of hearing Jim call the race, we are hearing him apologize for interupting the discussion.... Later that night at the after glow, they can all get drunk and argue about who stepped on who.... Touting your experience in off road while on air, is right there with ME posting pics of my race truck.......
With all the technology used did someone forget the IFB....????
What does IFB stand for?

Interruptible foldback (IFB), also known as interrupted foldback, interruptible feedback, or interrupt for broadcast is a monitoring and cueing system used in television, filmmaking, video production, and radio broadcast for one-way communication from the director or assistant director to on-air talent or a remote

Last edited:

Dave Cole 4454

however Mint and Koh is a one time race, Parker is the beginning of a series.
Couple of points.

KOH is the first race of an 11 race North American Series that includes Mexico and Canada. We also have a 4 race series in Europe, 3 race series in Australia and are in our 2nd year of racing in New Zealand.

Jim Marsden is a phenomenal announcer but a couple other guys are nailing it, its all about the information you feed them. Announcing is an incredibly difficult job.

Last part is the most ironic...Matt announced the T1 race for us at KOH and KILLED it. Tons of great feedback on his knowledge and passion for the sport. And now the mob had declared he is trying to make a buck.

Quite candidly, anyone that thinks ANYBODY is doing this gig for greed or a quick buck is a moron. If you have the capacity to pull off an event like the Mint you would be FAR better served cashing a paycheck working in a different field. We do this SOLELY for the passion and the desire to do cool I failed spelling.

Be thankful there are people willing to stick their necks on the line to make it happen because there's not many left at this point. Let me know when you get your race series together, Im always looking for a place to peel out.

Regards

Dave

MTPyle

I have not watched much of the live stream yet but what I watched looked great. I plan to watch the entire thing soon.

It’s really hard to commentate on a 9 hour event and keep it fresh. I watched for a bit I saw they had some guest come in. I think that’s the best way to keep it interesting and informative but the guest need to know what they are talking about. Getting a UFC fighter in there that knows nothing about racing didn’t help. Last year they had Jenson Button come in and that was cool just because he is a racer. He didn’t have much experience in OffRoad but it was still good stuff.

My recommendation would be to have some racers from each class come up there and talk about the class and the competitors in that class. There is a lot of back story that would be informative and entertaining that only someone deep into that class would know.

Again I didn’t watch much of this years and overall I think the live coverage from last year and the hour or so I watched from this year was really really good.

When I watch the TV coverage from BITD races that airs it’s really frustrating. They really don’t know what went on in the race and they call it as they see it on the feed with no knowledge of what actually happened.

If I am watching something like that I want to get details on what’s happening, not just what place everyone is in. Fish does a great job with that as he gets info from everyone so he knows what’s up.

Mike

sand shark

Tough crowd. Not an easy thing hosting a 9 hour livestream. I’ve hosted the ones at Crandon that were 10 plus hours, but that’s with a fresh race every 45 minutes. 400 plus miles nonstop is a complete different animal and at some point you have to have conversation. 9 hours of “There goes Luke making a hard right” would be pretty monotonous. You also have to realize that if you couldn’t tell what the car was on the livestream video, chances are we couldn’t from the booth calling the race either as we had the same feed and information as you. I would say between Bob Bower, Ryan Thomas, and myself we have over a century of experience with the sport, so I’d say most everyone up there is pretty well versed in desert racing. Jim Marsden brings in some international flavor, and that’s never a bad thing. Were things perfect? Absolutely not, but I would say that the offroad community having the opportunity to pick apart an announce team of a 9 hour livestream of arguably one of the most exciting desert races in a while means the sport is headed in a positive direction. Thanks to everyone who tuned in, and thanks to everyone who called, texted, and posted kind words. The entire production crew worked their ass off, and Luke deserved his achievement to be shown live to the masses like it was.
I enjoyed the broadcast. Especially with the drama of the last lap on Saturday and who was going to win.

J Prich

There were a lot of good things about the race and a lot of bad things. From our perspective it was a logistical nightmare as it was last year. But the race and course seemed good. Lots of rescue and help out there.

Course wasn’t marked great. For sure not up to BITD specs. But it wasn’t horrible. I had a issue knowing where the speed zones were. They were just marked with normal 25mph signs that looked just like the street signs. I flew over the bridge and realized crap I think this is a speed zone. I should have known better but it also should have said speed zone somewhere in a huge sign.

I am sure the Mertellis will learn and solve some of the problems. They had a lot of very experienced people out there helping them.

One thing that was hard for us was there was no schedule for racers. The event schedule was more for spectators. Example was staging. It only said grid walk was 10:30. But didn’t say when we should stage. That’s a small example of how they focused well on the spectators but not as much on the racers.

The spectators looked filled and super well done. There was by far more people watching the race this year than last. So they did that right.

I just wish there wasn’t as many Spectators to see me blow the berm on the start. Haha. But man I sent the jump.

Overall it was about the same for us as last year. Hard to be in 3 places at once but it was a good show and event.

Thanks to all the course workers out there helping us and keeping us safe. Unfortunately we were last on course again so we got a chance to talk to them and have them help us. LOL.

I don’t think any event is perfect. You usually get really great stuff in one aspect and not so much in another. BITD does not do as well promoting the event like Mad Media does. Too bad that partnership didn’t work as they both balanced each other out.

Mike
First, glad I got to chat with you a bit on Wednesday. Saw the truck and wanted to make sure I got the chance to face to face a bit given the back and forth we've had here leading up to the race. Everything I've said about the Mint has 100% been me, all me. Not only have Matt and Josh not directed anyone to answer this kind of stuff, the truth is they probably would have preferred I didn't engage on some of these things, lol. My goal was not to make excuses or pump sunshine and propaganda. My intent was to fill in information and counter some assumptions that are always being made, based on my first hand experience. No one is trying to white wash things that were actual problems, and no one is suggesting that there isn't a lot of room for improvement in cleaning things up to make this event run better. It's year one. There are going to be gaps. The product you get from BITD is the result of 30+ years of refining, R&D etc. And they operate (very effectively for them) in a controlled, systematic manner. It's the same process repeated over and over again. That allows them to manage race operations, put out information, etc in a very consistent, standardize way.

In year 1 of the Mint, clearly we aren't there yet and have a lot of work to do to get to that point. No one is hiding that or pretending it's not the case. The entire operation functions under a distinctly different philosophy. The consistency and efficiency of BITD's operation that makes things run pretty smoothly for them is also the thing that limits the creativity of what their events look like. So the way Matt and Josh do business...pushing boundaries, expanding to new components, etc...is inherently risky. You lose some of that standardization and efficiency when you're changing the formula each year, adding more pieces, etc. And when you increase the risk, the potential for some things to go bad goes up. We saw that happen on several fronts here. The bottom line is the goal is always to keep pushing and doing things better and the big leap from Year 1 to Year 2 needs to be cleaning up the efficiency. I believe the things that didn't go well this time will provide great (albiet hard/painful) lessons to make even more improvements for future events.

To your specific feedback, totally understand about the logistics...even though the event is in "Vegas", it's like 60 miles or whatever from end to end between race start location and qualifying. A lot of ground to cover. Regarding course marking, I agree 100%. I think we were adequate, but not great. I would consider what BITD does with marking to be the gold standard and we didn't get there. We had a lot of unexpected challenges with that along the way and were fortunate enough to get some help from some great people who are pretty experienced that got us to adequate. But we have the lessons and the understanding now to get to great and I would expect the marking to be much better going forward. That was part of my lane and my lack of experience showed. But what I learned hard lessons from this time around will really help me ensure that it's much improved next time around.

The gaps and issues are obvious and probably aren't worth discussing here given how much they've already been hammered on social media, etc, lol. But just a few things from my perspective that I'm proud of and was happy to be a part of....

- Youth events. Although it's difficult to pull that stuff off as an event within an event and led to additional logistical challenges, having the youth races was awesome. So many smiles and stoked kid faces that I believe will stay with them in to adulthood. And some really great racing to boot. And in spite of a few issues, my opinion is that Tony Vanillo did a fantastic job with the Primm infield lay out.

- Military Challenge. The entire lead up AND event with the focus on our military folks was fantastic and under appreciated from what I've seen. Collectively those efforts led to a lot of money being raised for amazing causes and it was awesome having those warriors out there competing on the race course. Kudos to Matt and Josh in my opinion for embracing that and pushing it forward.

- Actual Racing. Yes car counts were down. Yes there were significant shortfalls in execution. But once the first bikes/cars went off the line in each race, the racing was very good. There may not have been 50 TT's, but having some of the top guys running within a minute or two of each other all day (well, except for Harley checking out, lol) was awesome to watch. I was on the Jean dry lake at sunset and watching Ryan, Luke, and Bryce blast across the dry lake headed to the finish all within 60 seconds of each other physically was one of the raddest things I've seen in a long time. That was an epic battle to the end and 428 miles of that course is no joke. There were really great in class battles going on all weekend.

-Live Stream. @Dave Cole 4454 sets the bar. No question. After KOH a lot of people said the Mint needed to do what Dave does. My opinion is the production crew did that. Split screen, helos, drones, multiple locations....and LIVE FREAKING IN CAR. From the GOAT no less. That was a huge win in my book and put coverage of this event in the living rooms and palms of people in a way that doesn't really happen in just about any other desert race event.

- BLM/Course Volunteers. We have been working for months...really since the end of last year, to put together a solid plan to recruit and retain an outstanding group of volunteers to help manage the race course to ensure that we meet or exceed the BLM's expectations for course management. The permitting process and interaction with the BLM is invisible to most racers and I certainly didn't fully understand the dynamic myself. But we worked really hard to make sure we had the right people in the right places to be able to 1) Mitigate and prevent as many issues as we could and 2) Quickly respond to anything that might occur. There was some genuine uncertainty about whether or not the experienced folks who volunteer at other races would come and support the Mint on it's own. It was not all that long ago that the RDC white noise was about not being able to do a two day event because you'd never get enough volunteers to support it. Not only did we have enough people, we had a LOT of people. A lot of super motivated, hard working people who love off road racing and did an outstanding job of making sure things went smoothly. We had very experienced help from members of other racing orgs and we had people who came from far and wide to experience it all for the very first time. They were freaking awesome and the end result was a very positive vibe with BLM and other agencies all weekend. It was an intentional plan to make sure we're continuing to foster that relationship with the people who hold the keys to the sports future and I believe it will continue to bear fruit going forward.

So sorry for the length...this is my post race report I guess, lol. But just thought it was worth sharing some thoughts and perspectives (or excuses if that's how you see them) based on what I've seen and had the opportunity to be a part of for the last year or so.

Last edited:

pdailey

Racer
Note to announcers. Bashing other vendors is not cool and shouldn’t be tolerated. Toyo spends a lot of money in our industry. We’re all family here and if you haven’t noticed, there are not a lot of people getting real money spent on their program and don’t need someone like Toyo going away because they don’t sponsor the event. If you’re behind the mic, be professional. Tire bias has no business when you’re airing a live stream to the masses.

kyle_pc_75

From a volunteer perspective, I thought the race went really well. The volunteer organization and pre-event communication was among the best its ever been at any event I've ever worked.

The start line delays sucked, and the motos getting cut a lap short sucked, but overall it was good. The first race I put on for BOR with 30 entries, no TV, no media, no anything but racing was the most stressful thing I've ever done....I can't imagine how this was for the Martellis and everyone else.

They were lucky to have a good team behind them. Tony, Jason, Doc and the rest all gave me a good deal of personal attention through phone calls, emails, etc, and Weatherman (Bob's son?) did a fantastic job. I tried to offer my support and experience without stepping on toes and it was welcomed and listened to. It seemed they were all still getting used to working together but they pulled it off.

I can't comment on the livestream as I was sequestered in Hidden Valley all day with no cell service. I didn't even know who won Unlimited Truck until I called Weatherman over the radio and asked.

I've been working the Mint since 2012 and plan to keep coming back.

J Prich

From a volunteer perspective, I thought the race went really well. The volunteer organization and pre-event communication was among the best its ever been at any event I've ever worked.

The start line delays sucked, and the motos getting cut a lap short sucked, but overall it was good. The first race I put on for BOR with 30 entries, no TV, no media, no anything but racing was the most stressful thing I've ever done....I can't imagine how this was for the Martellis and everyone else.

They were lucky to have a good team behind them. Tony, Jason, Doc and the rest all gave me a good deal of personal attention through phone calls, emails, etc, and Weatherman (Bob's son?) did a fantastic job. I tried to offer my support and experience without stepping on toes and it was welcomed and listened to. It seemed they were all still getting used to working together but they pulled it off.

I can't comment on the livestream as I was sequestered in Hidden Valley all day with no cell service. I didn't even know who won Unlimited Truck until I called Weatherman over the radio and asked.

I've been working the Mint since 2012 and plan to keep coming back.
Kyle, you guys are champs man. Thanks for jumping in to help Tony out with qualifying too. Bummed that I never made it up to Hidden Valley all weekend as I would loved to have popped up to chat for a bit. Really appreciate all your help out there and yeah, I should have added Weatherman to my list of wins. Scott was awesome (as expected) and was invaluable to the operations side.

Jimmy8

In regards to the tire thing... I will say that everything said was 100% the announcers point of view. We were not told anything other than to refer to the event as the BFGoodrich Tires Mint 400. I'm a guy with General Tire as my title sponsor this year and funding my program and I honored that. I can't speak to the other talent, but to defend Matt and Josh, I at least was given zero direction by them or from the producers to give any more or less promotion to any tire company other than to call the event by its name. I have worked events where the promoter has given direction to omit certain tire brands, but the Mint 400 was not one of them. Anything said on the livestream was directly from the talent to my knowledge, or at least in my case it was. I will say that there were a few things said that I did not agree with and I would have never said, but I guess that's what happens when you have 4 differing opinions on the mic.

pdailey

Racer
In regards to the tire thing... I will say that everything said was 100% the announcers point of view. We were not told anything other than to refer to the event as the BFGoodrich Tires Mint 400. I'm a guy with General Tire as my title sponsor this year and funding my program and I honored that. I can't speak to the other talent, but to defend Matt and Josh, I at least was given zero direction by them or from the producers to give any more or less promotion to any tire company other than to call the event by its name. I have worked events where the promoter has given direction to omit certain tire brands, but the Mint 400 was not one of them. Anything said on the livestream was directly from the talent to my knowledge, or at least in my case it was. I will say that there were a few things said that I did not agree with and I would have never said, but I guess that's what happens when you have 4 differing opinions on the mic.
maybe they should be a little more selective on who gets behind the mic next year. I noticed Dave didn’t have Marty Fiolka and Sara Price back on the mic after they kept talking about BFG during the Toyo Tires T1 race last year. Lol

MTPyle

JPrich,

Great post and attitude. You are right you guys did great and for the first event it really was amazing. Its hard to get compared to a oiled machine like BITD but you are right they don't change much and do not innovate. like I said before each event has its strengths and weakness's

Not sure why the Mint, Martellis, and Mad media gets bashed more than anyone on the internet, its an interesting dynamic for sure. Thanks for being the voice of reason on here to give another perspective. The best part about your post is you are open to learning what can be improved and take credit for what you guys did well.

As for the infield, I assumed the first big jump was meant to sail, I was wrong LOL. Its hard to make jumps that work for all classes. Honestly I don't know if you can with so many different speeds. The start line was cool and different and the finish was way cool with the fire. So overall i guess it was cool. I wonder what it was like from a spectator standpoint?

I was bummed that we never got to spectate. Not one of my crew even went into the spectator areas. We just didn't have time with all the moving around.

For next year I suggest qualifying in Primm. At least then we can set up our pits and use them for the entire week. We had to work on our truck after qualifying and could not do it in the hotel parking lot. Thankfully BJ Baldwin let us use his shop. It would be easy to trailer the truck from Primm to Fremont for the tech and contingency. I bet we spent a full day just messing with parking since we were staying in Fremont.

Mike

fishd00d

What A Joke
I watched every single min of both days livestream. Here is my .02 like it or not that’s fine with me.

In full disclosure I was asked to go help the production team and I declined (more on that later).

The camera angles were awesome and filming was great. The internet held up well for 99% of the time also and it looked HD and good quality. The Incar of Rob Mac was awesome I just wish it would have been pointing forward so we could have seen the race. (It worked out it was pointed at them since we got to see Rob Macs tire change lol).

The announcers did an OK job. I would never want to have that job and that’s part of why I declined. It really is hard keeping it interesting for that many hours of straight talking. Which is why I only do my hourly live updates for about 10-15min at a time it’s a lot easier that way. Not saying that’s how they should have done it at all.

The stories of back in the day stuff got old and boring after a while IMO. Not many people watching the show today even were into Offroad racing 30 years ago so a lot of the viewers are not going to relate to those and will get bored. There was too much of the personal stories I think. They should have talked about the race in front of them and what the camera was showing much more than they did (Foreign Jim did a good job getting it back on track a lot).

I was able to send in a lot of updates during the race to help them out with some real news as they were saying more than a few fake news things. If you’re going to announce you should at least know who’s in what car when you can tell what car you’re looking at.

Lastly their producer of the live show I would give a C- grade to. More than a few times they had a badass shot of live heli or some awesome racing action going on and they would cut to a commercial right when it was getting good. Or they would go full screen back to the announcers talking on the set instead of keeping it on the race footage. That is my biggest complaint about this race coverage. They had great stuff they just went away from it at very bad times More than a couple times. I understand there is going to be commercials but time them better. When Bryce is flying across huge whoops hauling ass to catch back up and you cut away from a badass heli shot come on!! Lol.

Lastly this post by Matt sums up why I declined to go out there and be apart of it. This is Offroad racing. Everyone is a family. You do not need to be at “WAR” with everyone in it. You do not need to takeover the world. You don’t make many friends trying to do that. I feel they have lost sight of the racers and that’s sad to me.
774CBE7A-B2A3-4CC8-BEDB-CFFE8FA42A0F.jpeg

But what do I know I’m just some dumb kid that called a UTV a golf cart back in the day and they flipped out over it because it would cost them $
View attachment 210138

Last edited:

J Prich

@fishd00d all valid feedback. Regarding your last point, I understand what you're saying but it's a two way street. Matt can speak for himself so I'm not defending him here, but when you say it's a community and we shouldn't be at war with each other I totally agree. But that is a two way street and they've been pushing back against some portion of our "community" that has been crapping on them and rooting for them to fail for quite some time. Maybe it's chicken or egg here regarding who started it, but there are pages of people trash talking, celebrating mistakes, and to the specific points Matt highlighted, potentially actively working against them. It is and should be a community, but Matt is not the only person talking about a war here. We are all better together but both sides have some responsibility here and it's not fair to blame Matt for expressing his opinion but be totally cool with person after person pushing false narratives about them. Dave has said it several times here....if you're doing this stuff as a get rich quick scheme, you're pretty stupid. Matt and Josh have been on the receiving end of a lot of criticism from our community and while some of it is fair and constructive, a lot of it is complete garbage.

J Prich

Final post before I get back to work, lol...there is no way to tell who was doing it or why but there WAS 100% intentional tampering with course markings all week. A lot of people use that area so who knows, maybe it was shooters, maybe it was people just trying to be jerks...but there were multiple examples of course markings that were intentionally removed, intentionally run over (like...tire tracks that led specficially to the marker that was run over, then back in to the road), and arrows/wrong way signs that were intentionally relocated. Some of this stuff probably happens all the time but it was happening every day this week.

I have no idea who was doing that kind of stuff or why, but if anyone that is remotely involved in the desert racing community was out there doing that kind of stuff, they deserve whatever kind of crap talking etc that they get. I don't care how upset a person might be at anyone else, how much they don't like this or that....if anyone is intentionally jeopardizing the safety of racers over petty disagreements, they deserve whatever they get.

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
YES,,, like calling the guys who didn't show to race basically a bunch of Pu*$ies... You're going to make them a "Mint 400" purse?? Come on! I think they would do better in MMA. I bet they got a big picture of Dana White in their front rooms.... BUT, like I said, I did watch the whole thing. So who really won?? LOL

fishd00d

What A Joke
YES,,, like calling the guys who didn't show to race basically a bunch of Pu*$ies... You're going to make them a "Mint 400" purse?? Come on! I think they would do better in MMA. I bet they got a big picture of Dana White in their front rooms.... BUT, like I said, I did watch the whole thing. So who really won?? LOL
I laughed when I heard Matt say Andy McMillin couldn’t be the best because he wasn’t there. I guess the other 40 TTs that didn’t come back can’t be the best either?? 😒

Borracho Cantina

Note to announcers. Bashing other vendors is not cool and shouldn’t be tolerated. Toyo spends a lot of money in our industry. We’re all family here and if you haven’t noticed, there are not a lot of people getting real money spent on their program and don’t need someone like Toyo going away because they don’t sponsor the event. If you’re behind the mic, be professional. Tire bias has no business when you’re airing a live stream to the masses.
When they were rambling about BFG, I bet they didn’t mention Dan Mac’s 6 BFG flats at KOH? Costed him a podium & gave him another 4th place. 🤪🤪

MTPyle

People moving or destroying course markers is the lowest form of scum bags. Why would you want to endanger the racers or rescue teams? so dumb.

When I saw that post from Matt I thought it was a little too MMA style testosterone. Maybe the attitude that they are at "War" is part of the problem? Might explain why some people are so critical.

Mike