Mint 400 to Fish: Drop Dead?

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
RDC Crypto
I got $20 that says the Martelli's are gonna have a online pay-per-view type event. Ya know, like how they make everyone pay to park in the desert, so they can pay to sit in some bleachers.

I wonder if they're gonna screw over the moto guys again.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
I think the real problem is we never get good news about them or the Mint. Most of the topics or press is negative. So it just makes everything seem worse.

The lack of good PR and the amount of negative press is not a good combo. It makes it seem like they don’t give a F

I can’t imagine how I would feel about the Mint if it wasn’t for JPrich, Kilian, and David from MSS. They are super positive great guys. I hope the Martellis know how fortunate they are to have guys like that on their side.

Mike

crafty

RDC Crypto
I was busting my butt getting my truck ready for this race and so excited! I now can’t go due to emergency work the Caldor fire created. The only reason I’m bummed and don’t even care to run in 2022 is that this year would be the 40 year anniversary of my truck running that race. Guess I’ll save the cash and race locally

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
i had a Lot of fun at the monster mash race, only went 10 miles?, cheep, fun ,IM out of shape, cant wait till the next one, my goal is one lap👍support your local race promoters👌

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
I was busting my butt getting my truck ready for this race and so excited! I now can’t go due to emergency work the Caldor fire created. The only reason I’m bummed and don’t even care to run in 2022 is that this year would be the 40 year anniversary of my truck running that race. Guess I’ll save the cash and race locally
Rehab for B.A.E.R>?

jcorsico

RDC Crypto
Putting aside whether or not this decision makes sense for the Mint 400 or off-road racing more generally, if you compare this to other professional sporting events, what the Martelli's said to Fish is the normal way things are done.

For example, the NFL does not let ABC and Fox just broadcast their events for free. The networks have to pay ridiculous money to the NFL to get the right to broadcast the game. All professional sporting events work this way. It's how the sanctioning body makes money, and its how the sanctioning body kicks money back to the teams.

Now, again, off-road racing is different because the pool of money is so small. And the Martelli's are not sharing any of the "TV proceeds" with the teams.

But what they are demanding - that Fish pay to have the right to broadcast - is the standard business model for professional sports.

RYAN COHEE

RDC Crypto
No matter how big of a off-road racing you become or promoter never lose touch with the grass roots of racing!! The trust fund brothers only care about the money and the fame. They have never raced a class 9 car or beam car of any kind.. 95% of the best in the sport have.

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
Putting aside whether or not this decision makes sense for the Mint 400 or off-road racing more generally, if you compare this to other professional sporting events, what the Martelli's said to Fish is the normal way things are done.

For example, the NFL does not let ABC and Fox just broadcast their events for free. The networks have to pay ridiculous money to the NFL to get the right to broadcast the game. All professional sporting events work this way. It's how the sanctioning body makes money, and its how the sanctioning body kicks money back to the teams.

Now, again, off-road racing is different because the pool of money is so small. And the Martelli's are not sharing any of the "TV proceeds" with the teams.

But what they are demanding - that Fish pay to have the right to broadcast - is the standard business model for professional sports.
Some professional sports.

Smaller, niche sports have to pay to get their broadcasts on the air. That includes more-popular-than-offroad sports like Indycar, which may need to use time buys to get its races on television at times after this year.

I have no problem with the Mint asking Fish and others not to rebroadcast or mirror their existing stream (Fish does this with Baja). But to ask him not to discuss the events, to discuss what is publicly shown on the tracker, or to post his frequent IG highlights that come from elsewhere on the track is foolhardy. People do stuff like that for other major sports all the time. There are guys providing alternate commentaries to sporting events, clipping highlights, all kinds of stuff.

Here's Geoff Schwartz, who does some professional commentary and is also a former player/fan, noting one event in Saturday's Notre Dame-USC game while it was still going on:

That doesn't take away from NBC's broadcast, and NBC doesn't bother to try to keep him from doing it even though he is a prominent blue-check on twitter. It *helps* NBC by drawing attention to their product.

Off road racing doesn't have the profile to demand rights fees. It has to pay to get on tv at all. And the nature of desert racing is that it is really hard to broadcast. It's expensive for the Mint and KOH to provide their (excellent) comprehensive broadcasts, and it's basically impossible under current conditions to broadcast the crown jewel of the sport, Baja. Fish makes these races more accessible, which makes them easier to follow and more rewarding for people (like me) who become fans of the sport, which makes fans more likely to watch things like the Mint's stream broadcast and its later highlight package on tv.

This is a mistake, and it's bad for fans, and bad for sponsors, and bad for the sport.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
RDC Crypto
I truly know none of the details, and I respect, enjoy working with and have and would drink a beer with both the Martellis and Fish.

But let me give you a different perspective.

Company A pays Martellis to sponsor the race.

Company B pays Fish to sponsor his coverage.

Martellis take all the risk, expense, and work to make the event.

Fish gets to sit at arms length, critique, and be 'media' while getting paid to say Company Bs name over and over.

When we first started KOH our live coverage was on Pirate. They did all the work of the coverage, paid for it and had the satellite internet.

We were sponsored by Griffin, Pirate had BFG. BFG would not invest more in the series because they already 'owned' the media.

We ended up buying the Pirate Van and Satellite (which we ended up selling to Klaus ironically). I paid Pirate to be our distribution and we took back control of our event from a 'broadcast' point of view.

Bottom line is there is always more than one part to a story.

These are the growing pains we experience as a culture when money starts becoming a factor in our decisions about what is cool.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
There are at least two significant factors missing from this conversation that most, including myself, don't fully understand. Without that context, much of the speculation that is happening here is leading folks down the wrong paths because they fill in what they don't know with assumptions about what they think they know.

Here is what's missing...

1. The relationship between the Martelli's and Fish.

2. The stated and unstated reasons both parties are saying and doing what they are doing.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Thanks Dave for your perspective. Good points.

For me the issue is they seem to have problems with everyone. Vendors, BITD (Donald days), RDC, Fish etc.. they burn a lot of bridges so they never get the benefit of the doubt.

When negative news comes out about them everyone (including me) reacts against them. You on the other hand take time to interact and be part of the community. You can be a dick about something but everyone respects you so it’s OK. You are part of the community. Not just seen as a money sucker. Everyone wants you to win. I don’t see many rooting for Martellis.

I see a lot of people have issues with how they charge. That does not bother me. It’s a business and their right to decide the revenue model. Only complaint I ever had about that was I could not get my team to the finish line whithout buying more spectator passes almost missed the truck coming in dealing with last minute wrist bands. Pissed me off but I paid and got over it. I never had a problem with paying to get all my guys into Hammer Town.

Anyway the reality is the race is so important that many including myself with Race it even though they keep trying to push everyone away.

Mike