• Forum membership has its advantages....

Mint 400 & UTVWC Independent in 2020

The Mint 400 and UTV World Championship to Operate Independently in 2020 and Beyond
Martelli Brothers chart a new path for the future of the two largest desert races in the sport

Click here for an FAQ on the announcement at the bottom of the link.

April 29, 2019 - San Diego, Calif. — The Martelli Brothers announced today The Mint 400 and the UTV World Championship races will be sanctioned and operated independently in 2020 and beyond. The decision comes after nearly a decade of work in the sport as race promoters. Moving forward, their in-house team of off-road industry veterans will manage all aspects of their events including marketing, film and TV content production and race operations.

While The Mint 400 and UTV World Championship will no longer be exclusively part of the Best in the Desert points series, the races will continue to operate on similar dates as previous years, and under similar rules and specs for the race vehicle classes. The Mint 400 will move to Friday and Saturday racing in 2020. Entry fees will remain unchanged for 2020 and an early registration period will begin this summer at a discounted rate. The complete entry fee and payout schedule for both races will be released this summer.

“We’ve had a fantastic relationship with Best in the Desert and we’re grateful for all their hard work. We learned a lot from Casey and we miss him dearly,” said Matt Martelli, Chief Executive Officer and Co-Owner of The Mint 400 and UTV World Championship properties. “Moving forward, we want to implement our ideas and make off-road racing more visible to the world. This sport is dollar-for-dollar the greatest thrill ride on the planet. We have proven our capabilities on the marketing, media, and event management side, now it's time for us to take control of our future.”

Matt and Josh, who founded the motorsports production group Mad Media in 1995 purchased The Mint 400 in 2011 after producing groundbreaking television coverage of the storied race for several years. They brought the Mint to Casey Folks and his Best in the Desert series shortly after acquiring it, where the event ran for eight years. In that time, the Martelli/BITD team grew the event from a one day race with 200 entries into a four-day off-road festival with 550 entries and two days of racing - making it the largest desert race in North America. The UTV World Championship was developed in house as well in 2014, and has become the Super Bowl of UTV racing for the past five years, boasting over 400 entries in 2019.

“One of the greatest things about off-roading is that it takes you down uncharted roads into new and exciting territory,” said Josh Martelli, Chief Operating Officer and Co-Owner of The Mint 400 and UTV World Championship properties. “That’s exactly what happened with us. When we were asked to cover the Mint in 2010 and again in 2011 we were pumped - and put everything we knew at the time into those TV shows. Eight years later with the help and support of this incredible industry, we’ve grown two events into world class races with the highest level of competition coming from all over the world. But we didn’t do that alone. We are extremely grateful for the support we’ve had along the way and humbled by the feedback from our racers, partners and race fans.”

Bringing race operations in house will allow the Martellis to continue to develop their own race formats, rule book, class specs, timing and scoring system, race courses, and to renew their commitment to driver safety through their own emergency operations program. More details about the move will be published to The Mint 400 and UTVWC websites in the coming months. The Martelli Brothers welcome racers, volunteers, and media to share their ideas and feedback with them by emailing ideas@themint400.com.

NOW A ALL NEW 3000.00 ENTRY FEE PER CLASS? LOL
Entry fees will remain unchanged for 2020 and an early registration period will begin this summer at a discounted rate. The complete entry fee and payout schedule for both races will be released this summer.

dan200

#BSF200
These guys are obviously good at producing an event. Hype, Merch, Party ETC. Now we have to see how well they can run the "race part."

Years ago the team I helped was racing for series points. A championship. This was expensive and in hind sight, kinda stupid. You have to race all the races including the lesser ones to be a contender for the championship.

For us now things have certainly evolved and now its a way different team but we've got no interest in championships. We just wanna win the BIG RACES. The 500, the 1000, Vegas to Reno, Parker, and The Mint. These are the longer ones. The harder ones. The bigger ones. The ones with the most prestige. And with a factory sponsorship behind us now a days these are the races that the sponsors want us at.

I have no doubt that the "value" of the Mint will not be reduced even without BITD being involved. I do wonder if the guys who are BITD points racers will be run the MINT along with whatever schedule BITD has. I go to a LOT of races. There are only 52 weekends a year and with all the racing and off road related events like Shortcourse, EXPOS, Ultra-4 and Rallys and the like we are out of available dates already. Things overlap (like Parker and KOH). Its tough to chose where to be sometimes.

I have no doubt the the Mad Media squad can, as always, put together a GRAND event and do a great job showing our sport to the world. I guess I have a lot of faith in them based on their past results. I am really curious about the way they will divide the classes up and who the race director will be.

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Hey Kilian, don't mean to sidetrack the post but I heard we can email someone to get the Mint finisher medals for all members on the team. We had 3 riders and only got 1 at the finish but was told we can get 2 more, is this true do you know? Thank you and back to your regular scheduled program. :)

cynicwanderer

While Mad Media can sure put on an event, I'm in it to go racing. I don't have much disposable income nor time, so my ideal would be to just show up and go racing without all the hoopla. For motos, there are not many options for long distance off road races int he US. I went to the Mint400 and the UTV World Championship, because they are BITD races that are required for the series (and 2 out of 5 races BITD puts on for motos). These are the only two races, were I have had to deal with power hungry security people trying to do simple things, like returning my tracker or getting back into the hot pit to retrieve my van. Would I go to Mint400 if it wasn't part of the series...? I don't know if I will come at this point. Certainly not, if it cost more or takes even more time. Will they even have Motos next year ?

mxben

It seemed like it was BITD who put all the work in laying out that super bad ass Moto course. Even if they ran the same one next year it would be fun. I am just speculating but I hope they can make it work as well as this year. Also fire the interview guy at the podium - that guy needs a lesson in letting people take their time to thank sponsors and their crew.

MTPyle

for me all the hype and extra crap was not worth it. We were there to race and all of the Mad Media stuff was more trouble than it was worth for our team. We paid a lot extra for the Mint "Experience" but it did not net anything for us. We are not a top 3 team so we don't get TV coverage or interviews for our sponsors.

So what we got was to get to hang out on Fremont street for a couple days. Never in my life would I choose that for a vacation. LOL.

I am sitting here trying to think of what Mad Media did that mattered for us? The crew challenge was cool but we could not see the stage. Thats about it, not sure what they did. If BITD put on the same event I think it would have been just as good for us. Again the TV coverage didn't matter to us and to be honest the commentators where painful when I watched the video back.

I really want to give praise to Mad media for the great work they did but again I can't think of anything that mattered to us. I feel like we paid a premium for all the top teams to get stroked.

Since we were there for the racing I dont know if I would go to the Mint if it was all ran by Mad Media Hype machine. I assume the race would be as complicated and expensive as their event was. BITD may not be all about the Hype but they know how to run a race. My only complaint was there was lots of speeding in speed zones that never got penalties. I assume that was a function of the YB's inability to really track speed zones. If BITD didn't have the tools to prove someone was speeding than how do they hold racers accountable? That was a Mad Media problem.

Hate to be negative but can anyone else tell me what was so great about what Mad Media did? Serious question. I may just be missing something.

Mike

Christian Sourapas

My question speaks for TT teams; why can we have a huge purse like KOH? If we (Trick Trucks) are the "show" and we have to each spend over $5k in entry costs to enter, why can't there be a $100k purse? My brother was P2 this year and got enough money to barely pay off the Silver State 300 entry. Thats INSANE if this is supposed to be "the biggest off-road race in America".

My question basically is this: Why hasn't the Mint been able to pull off big purses like KOH and will we see one in 2020?

cwarren

My question speaks for TT teams; why can we have a huge purse like KOH? If we (Trick Trucks) are the "show" and we have to each spend over $5k in entry costs to enter, why can't there be a $100k purse? My brother was P2 this year and got enough money to barely pay off the Silver State 300 entry. Thats INSANE if this is supposed to be "the biggest off-road race in America".

My question basically is this: Why hasn't the Mint been able to pull off big purses like KOH and will we see one in 2020?
Our entry fee was $3500 in class 10, just the entry fee (nearly $1000 more than the Baja 500 after tracking). For winning we got $2500 lol. The most expensive race of the year has the smallest payback per entry? Obviously no one is in this sport for the prize money but not even getting enough back to cover your entry fee is insane.

wayne_demonja

Well I'm watchiing to see what everyone has to say but the last 2 post are kinda summing it up so this will be intersting .

Steve_Sourapas

Currently Dave Cole has the best race program for TT's. 15 minute tech and contingency, prerunning, qualify and race on the same day, great TV coverage, and on top of that we race for a huge purse. Also enjoy Dave Cole's hands on approach. If Dave decides to expand his races with a similar program to KOH all other promoters are going to have to step up their game in a big way. In regards to Mad Media running a race we will have to see how they do but I always trusted BITD leadership team and still do.

Last edited:
Hey Kilian, don't mean to sidetrack the post but I heard we can email someone to get the Mint finisher medals for all members on the team. We had 3 riders and only got 1 at the finish but was told we can get 2 more, is this true do you know? Thank you and back to your regular scheduled program. :)
All good! Yes - shoot me a PM and I'll get it going..

Our entry fee was $3500 in class 10, just the entry fee (nearly $1000 more than the Baja 500 after tracking). For winning we got $2500 lol. The most expensive race of the year has the smallest payback per entry? Obviously no one is in this sport for the prize money but not even getting enough back to cover your entry fee is insane.
From day 1, we have never been in control of payouts. That has always been solely on BITD.

ht racing

the fist 3 mint 400 races after bitd got it were the best. after that it was way too much show. its more of a pain in the ass than its worth now. all the standing around and running around is stupid. parker is still a better race and way less bull.

Zac Reish

Chase Warren. We see eye to eye.

Snore and more pay out double what bitd or mad media does and their entry is 1/3. Why more 10 cars aren’t taking advantage is confusing. 40 cars will 1st $4,000 or more. And whenever those organizers get big turnouts there’s bonus money. I could be wrong but I don’t believe bitd or score does gives bonus money for classes. I won a 25 car race with more and had $5,000 plus worth of cash and prizes last year. Get class 10 organized and the entries up and the winner could pay for his race or close anyway.

Klaus

Administrator
I once raced Record in class11 and finished 2nd. The payout was a multiplier of the entry fee. Payout in cash money following the sunday morning awards. Very unexpected actually.

NIKAL

Every year after the Mint 400 you hear from the Mad Media bunch, “We are learning and next year will be better”.

I’d expect to hear that allot next year and for years to come.

Also it would be interesting to hear from Teams with Big Corporate Sponsors, if the Fremont contingency / tech circus or any other hoopla is really doing anything for their sponsors?

I’m guessing a few instagrams would get them more exposure.

J Prich

Every year after the Mint 400 you hear from the Mad Media bunch, “We are learning and next year will be better”.

I’d expect to hear that allot next year and for years to come.

Also it would be interesting to hear from Teams with Big Corporate Sponsors, if the Fremont contingency / tech circus or any other hoopla is really doing anything for their sponsors?

I’m guessing a few instagrams would get them more exposure.
If it wasn't doing anything for them and they didn't see value, do you think they'd keep paying to show up? Do you think BFG gets more or less ROI...in whatever way they care to measure ROI, from the Mint or the Pahrump 250? I'm not trying to be jerk, I'm asking honestly because my personal assumption is those industry businesses that are making the trek out to show up for the "hoopla" wouldn't be doing it unless they saw some kind of business value in it.