• Forum membership has its advantages....

Mint Incidents - Everyone Ok?

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Dang -I try to not make the newspapers.......And where did I lose my hair in life?

Ok - So we had 2 patients that were transported in separate incidents on the course. Both are stable and have been released from University Medical Center.

In the first incident, we flew a class 1000 driver by medical helicopter. and in the second, a class 1500 co-driver was transported by ground ambulance.

I was in contact with families / crew as late as midnight and both appear they will be fine. Once all the dust settles, we will give some more information as I believe there is something to be learned in the class 1000 crash that we may want to work with tech directors and car builders to improve for the future.

Dave

facteryfmf

My teammates were first on sight of the 10 car crash. Thankfully he is doing okay now bc it was a pretty terrifying situation on hand when they saw the car crash, flames and an unconscious occupant.

JayQC

I'm glad no one is seriously hurt.

Good work to all the safety crews and everyone who assisted.

Klaus

Administrator
Dang -I try to not make the newspapers.......And where did I lose my hair in life?

Ok - So we had 2 patients that were transported in separate incidents on the course. Both are stable and have been released from University Medical Center.

In the first incident, we flew a class 1000 driver by medical helicopter. and in the second, a class 1500 co-driver was transported by ground ambulance.

I was in contact with families / crew as late as midnight and both appear they will be fine. Once all the dust settles, we will give some more information as I believe there is something to be learned in the class 1000 crash that we may want to work with tech directors and car builders to improve for the future.

Dave
Dave we appreciate the transparency you are offering us with this. Looking forward reading more about those incidents and a possible solution to better racing.

offroadracer516

The sport learned at Battle at primm a few years ago that we should NOT be going off the dyke jump in that direction. I guess BITD did not get the memo. This has happened before. And will happen again if we race that way. We should be going away from the apartments not into them. Lesson learned. Again. Hope everyone is ok.

sb4pro

Dave if there's gonna be any publicity for any of the accidents it's YOU guys who deserve it . Thanks for everything you do to give our sport that extra safety aspect .

ndvalium

Rescue Director
I'm glad no one is seriously hurt.

Good work to all the safety crews and everyone who assisted.

Dave we appreciate the transparency you are offering us with this. Looking forward reading more about those incidents and a possible solution to better racing.
Absolutely - We hate seeing folks hurt and based on my initial look at it we can see where there was a problem and failure. I am going to talk with Darryl, the tech director for BITD tomorrow and give him the info to look further into.

The sport learned at Battle at primm a few years ago that we should NOT be going off the dyke jump in that direction. I guess BITD did not get the memo. This has happened before. And will happen again if we race that way. We should be going away from the apartments not into them. Lesson learned. Again. Hope everyone is ok.
There were no injuries from the dyke jump accidents and both drove away. After the second incident we put a 8 foot wall of dirt to protect the racers from impact and this will be a discussion point for 2017 planning. For what it is worth, the other way they have potential to steel framed powerlines and just missed hitting that 2 weeks ago as well.

Dave if there's gonna be any publicity for any of the accidents it's YOU guys who deserve it . Thanks for everything you do to give our sport that extra safety aspect .
Thanks guys for the positive comments. It is a very big group from the medics to the retrievals and staff that make one heck of a response team when anything happens. We are all honored to be out there for all of you.

Dave

green787

I've never understood why the go to desert racing news site can't put up a synopsis of the race...

#XX rolled at mile marker 57
#XY was found dead in his car at mile marker 66 of an apparent heart attack
#YZ endoed at mile marker 30 was found unconcious, but rescue workers quickly revived him.....

Just the facts so we don't have to speculate....

offroadracer516

Absolutely - We hate seeing folks hurt and based on my initial look at it we can see where there was a problem and failure. I am going to talk with Darryl, the tech director for BITD tomorrow and give him the info to look further into.

There were no injuries from the dyke jump accidents and both drove away. After the second incident we put a 8 foot wall of dirt to protect the racers from impact and this will be a discussion point for 2017 planning. For what it is worth, the other way they have potential to steel framed powerlines and just missed hitting that 2 weeks ago as well.

Thanks guys for the positive comments. It is a very big group from the medics to the retrievals and staff that make one heck of a response team when anything happens. We are all honored to be out there for all of you.

Dave
This was my 10th Battle at primm this year. I can say without a shadow of a doubt it is much safer to go the other way. Just missed is better then hit twice in a row. Glad they were both ok. But both could of been really bad.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
I've never understood why the go to desert racing news site can't put up a synopsis of the race...

#XX rolled at mile marker 57
#XY was found dead in his car at mile marker 66 of an apparent heart attack
#YZ endoed at mile marker 30 was found unconcious, but rescue workers quickly revived him.....

Just the facts so we don't have to speculate....
Healthcare Privacy prevents me from releasing to much information as a medical provider by law - Since there is a entry list that lists names even giving numbers of vehicles is an issue in some cases because it can be then used to identify the racer against a published entry list.

I am doing my best to communicate to say that one was flown by air to the hospital, one was driven by ambulance to the hospital. the incidents appeared significant in nature and thankfully they have both been released from the hospitals.

If the team members or family members want to chime in, they are welcome to. they are not held to the same legal obligations as me and the members of my team.

I wish the world didn't have worthless litigation and we could all talk freely but since two of my posts have come up in legal depositions in the last couple of years I am really trying to avoid any conflicts.

green787

Healthcare Privacy prevents me from releasing to much information as a medical provider by law - Since there is a entry list that lists names even giving numbers of vehicles is an issue in some cases because it can be then used to identify the racer against a published entry list.

I am doing my best to communicate to say that one was flown by air to the hospital, one was driven by ambulance to the hospital. the incidents appeared significant in nature and thankfully they have both been released from the hospitals.

If the team members or family members want to chime in, they are welcome to. they are not held to the same legal obligations as me and the members of my team.

I wish the world didn't have worthless litigation and we could all talk freely but since two of my posts have come up in legal depositions in the last couple of years I am really trying to avoid any conflicts.
I understand your point of view.... You are a rescue worker.... What you see and do in the course of your job or service is private.... Your write up in your other thread is great from your point of view...
I'm just saying that something happened before you got there.... The car hit a ditch.... It flipped.... someone looped it at the dyke jump and ended up into some concrete barrier..... Like saying Jr. crashed into the wall at the first turn and scrambled out of the car with his race suit on fire..... Public consumption stuff....

J Prich

Appreciate the info you've shared. At the end of the day it's no one's business. The teams involved can share details as they see fit. I only asked personally to hear about the condition of the parties involved and I'm happy to hear that both are ok. After last year, especially. Appreciate all you and your crews do. No one wants to see you guys in a functional capacity but everyone is really glad you're there!

MasTacos

Appreciate the info you've shared. At the end of the day it's no one's business. The teams involved can share details as they see fit.
In a past life, I used to teach rock climbing & mountaineering (before the gravitational pull of the Earth got stronger). There used to be a similar "we don't want to go into too much detail" approach in the old days... until they started publishing the book. It outlines the what/how/why of each incident with details of what went wrong.

I made it mandatory reading for my students because it's only through example of what can go wrong that I think people really start to pay attention to how to avoid an accident.

They now have an online database (AAC Publications - Search The American Alpine Journal and Accidents In North American Mountaineering) and a facebook page (
Accidents in North American Mountaineering)

I think publishing details about accidents, without sharing private information and turning it into a rubber-necking session provides an excellent tool for teaching people what not to do and enforcing the importance of thinking about safety at all times.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
In a past life, I used to teach rock climbing & mountaineering (before the gravitational pull of the Earth got stronger). There used to be a similar "we don't want to go into too much detail" approach in the old days... until they started publishing the book. It outlines the what/how/why of each incident with details of what went wrong.

I made it mandatory reading for my students because it's only through example of what can go wrong that I think people really start to pay attention to how to avoid an accident.

They now have an online database (AAC Publications - Search The American Alpine Journal and Accidents In North American Mountaineering) and a facebook page (
Accidents in North American Mountaineering)

I think publishing details about accidents, without sharing private information and turning it into a rubber-necking session provides an excellent tool for teaching people what not to do and enforcing the importance of thinking about safety at all times.
This is 100% my goal but am waiting until I know all the facts of the incident and what I believe caused the injuries regardless of what may have caused the crash if that makes sense. I am working with the team and several others to gather the info and we will share it - even if i am wrong and it was "just an accident" I will share it.

MasTacos

This is 100% my goal but am waiting until I know all the facts of the incident and what I believe caused the injuries regardless of what may have caused the crash .
I think that's exactly the right approach. Maybe we could have a separate, read-only forum where an incident report could be created that racers/chasers/pit crew could read.

WickedGravityVideo

Not sure if this incident was even reported ----not to be controversial or anything, but someone ask Jesse Jones why he took out my customer and friend, Derrick Sproule, halfway through lap 3 -- both drag racing down Haul Rd (Hall?) at over 100 into a sharp right hander --- JJ pushed into Derrick and Derrick rolled twice. There is some video and might be GoPro.. .stay tuned.

crazyeye

Not sure if this incident was even reported ----not to be controversial or anything, but someone ask Jesse Jones why he took out my customer and friend, Derrick Sproule, halfway through lap 3 -- both drag racing down Haul Rd (Hall?) at over 100 into a sharp right hander --- JJ pushed into Derrick and Derrick rolled twice. There is some video and might be GoPro.. .stay tuned.
Saw a video of it on fAcebook will try to find it again.

Bro_Gill

After many years of providing emergency services, I find it almost ridiculous that worrying about who is as important as to what or why. Anyone with a scanner hears which car rolled at what mile and whether they are going in an ambulance or in the air. No different than real life emergency dispatch where they give location and information about type of call. I know all about HIPAA. Giving out a car number is NOT a violation of that law. I absolutely understand your desire to be respectful. That is honorable. But this is a sporting event run in public. No different than a NASCAR race or NFL game. When a player or driver is injured, they don't shut the broadcast off. What I have found with HIPAA is that no information goes out and people repeat some of the dumb things that the original person did. You know the old saying about history repeating itself? Hoe can people prevent the same incident if they don't know about it?