• Forum membership has its advantages....

Miss mint

ndvalium

Rescue Director
I wondered that also - Although I would love to see it done strictly with the amazing ladies already in our sport, or family members rather than hired talent from agencies...

Bdub 1020

I think its time to quit riding on the old Mint name and time for BITD to start the Casey Folks 400 with Miss BITD. Honor the man with what he lived for. Miss you Casey

Dirty Harry

I think its time to quit riding on the old Mint name and time for BITD to start the Casey Folks 400 with Miss BITD. Honor the man with what he lived for. Miss you Casey
Why rename the Mint? I know it is not the same course as the original, but it does have value. Why not name one of the other races after Casey? Booyah 250?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

J Prich

Why rename the Mint? I know it is not the same course as the original, but it does have value. Why not name one of the other races after Casey? Booyah 250?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
Because some folks still arent quite ready to let go of the spilled milk.

vegasloki

The Mint trademarks are the Martellis. BITD runs the race for them in a partnership. I think it would be good to name the V2R for Casey. Or perhaps the Pahrump race. Something like the Casey Folks Hard Charger Award for the privateers in the sportsman classes would be a good way to honor him at the Mint.

As for the beauty pageant, it's 2017 and the concept is pretty dated.

JDDurfey

Wasn't V2R the first race Casey had cars at? If that is the case then it would be fitting to name it after him in some way.

Bro_Gill

Heck, the original name for the race (as I see it) was the Stardust 7-11. It was a 400 mile loop. It has moved several times over the years from the Gun Club to the Drag Strip to Sloan, etc... And the name HAS changed over the years. Stardust 7-11, Mint 400, Nissan 400, Mint 400, blah blah blah. And V2R was originally done by Walt Lott as the Frontier 500.

vegasloki

The Mint brand is arguably the second largest single desert race brand in the business. Regardless of what the race was once called, the historical significance is known as the Mint 400. Only the Baja 1000 and possibly the 500 are more well or as well known. Honoring Casey with a race is a great idea. It's going to need to be one that he had the naming rights to. If you stop calling it the Mint 400 and promoting it in a high profile way you'll be left with more or less a 2nd BAP. It's the same reason they didn't rename the Daytona 500 the Big Bill France 500.

J Prich

My guess is the whole Miss Mint deal was tied to a sponsor that perhaps no longer wanted to play.

Jack

Wasn't V2R the first race Casey had cars at? If that is the case then it would be fitting to name it after him in some way.
Yes it was. I want to say 96 (kind of a blur that far back) and it was at a different time if the year. We almost won class 8 that year. Lost to another J10 in the last 20 miles due to a frozen jack.

TROPHYSEDAN

Maybe next year they will worry about the racers instead of the Party. 9 hours to go through the **** show, contingeny. half the venders where gone or closed. not cool. i have raced the real Mint 400, Nissan 400, Snore Mint 400, BITD Mint 400

J Prich

Maybe next year they will worry about the racers instead of the Party. 9 hours to go through the **** show, contingeny. half the venders where gone or closed. not cool. i have raced the real Mint 400, Nissan 400, Snore Mint 400, BITD Mint 400
If I'm not mistaken the city had a deadline for vendors to clear out. I don't know first hand, but I was under the impression that vendors were given a timeline for departure and it was late afternoon/early evening.

Anger Issues

I have raced the Mint 3 times.... but I gotta say missing this one did NOT bother me one bit.

Here are my thoughts for anybody who wants to hear em:
  • I liked the Mint girl concept, but "yes"... please have the girls be associated with racing somehow... not some professional model from the mid-west who is just looking for a resume booster. There are awesome females involved in our sport. It does not have to be a "beauty" contest. "All-around" kick-ass female contest, sure!!
  • Does anybody else get TIRED of the marketing? OMG... I HATE being marketed to, and good for them they acquired the rights to this race and THEY are a marketing company and blah blah blah. If THAT is the future of our sport (as some very well -respected folks have pointed out), then I am certainly in the wrong sport. The endless e-mails, the goofy-arse profile drawings, the flipping "pit pass" purchase. This is all bullshart in MY opinion. I realize we have the BLM whose butt we gotta kiss... but sheesh. Paying to sit in a pit and walk a cooler in?? Never.
  • I would love to see this be a two-day race. If you are stuck out on course for any length of time (in a slower class like "vintage"), you have TT's and Class 1 cars up your fanny in no time...
Well I guess that is enough and sorry to be a bit "off-topic" from the original post... but this is one race I don't care if I ever do again.

Can't wait for San Felipe, however :D

BigBlue&Goldie

The more promotional crap that is thrown in the mix, the more watered down the whole thing becomes. I love this race, but I felt the prior 2 years were much better executed. Too much time spent on trying to squeeze a dollar out of everyone, not enough time spent on the details. I'm not paying for premium VIP crap when the fundamentals are poorly executed.