• Forum membership has its advantages....

Miss these trucks and racers

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
How does this compare to trailing arms? Pros, cons?

Also, does anyone have this in CAD that can show its movement in action?

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1474815306.081389.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1474815319.706666.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1474815339.907285.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1474815350.242518.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

mgobaja

Baldwins ran well, the trucks seemed to work well. i believe Tony Vanilno and Brian Kudela had a hand in the design and build of them. I think there were 3 built, Jim, Josh and Jason each had one.

alwaysracin

View attachment 173129View attachment 173130View attachment 173131View attachment 173132

View attachment 173129View attachment 173130View attachment 173131View attachment 173132

Brian Kudela was on it. I have them King shocks

Attachments

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Baldwins ran well, the trucks seemed to work well. i believe Tony Vanilno and Brian Kudela had a hand in the design and build of them. I think there were 3 built, Jim, Josh and Jason each had one.
Jason was a beast! Loved watching him race. He was the SCORE champ when he passed and I think he was also champ for CORR or BITD.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Did Taylor/Scaroni also run a similar set up?

Also, McPherson's TT right?

CRAIG_HALL

Pivot points were identical, few differences were the use of a normal C/O shock for suspending the rear along with a single 4.0 bypass shock.

whats the difference between the Baldwin trucks compared to Rick Johnson's truck?

offroadracer516

The real question is where are these trucks now? Do the Baldwins just have them sitting? And do they still own their geiser?

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
The real question is where are these trucks now? Do the Baldwins just have them sitting? And do they still own their geiser?
Pretty sure that Geiser was sold.

Also, what's with the Riviera pictures? I agree that it's one of the best TT in history, but this thread is about cantilever suspension.

fathead

Pretty sure that Geiser was sold.

Also, what's with the Riviera pictures? I agree that it's one of the best TT in history, but this thread is about cantilever suspension.

Well then the title is misleading, I thought it was more about
Miss these trucks and racers
in general

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Jim, Carl and Jason had them.

Josh was not really old enough at the time (the trucks had a 1995 debut at Parker 400 if I am not mistaken) and would race 16, then 1 in the old DR2's and then started sharing wheel time in Jim's truck towards the end in the early / mid 2000's.

At one point in time, I think all but one truck was destroyed. They kept swapping numbers so I forget which one was pretty much the lone survivor. I think Jim's and Carl's OG trucks were the last two (could be very wrong here), and Jim wrecked his in Laughlin real bad (end over end, on a DP movie) and did a lot of damage to the pivot points. At that time, the original race shop and jigs were long gone so I think they said screw it instead of fixing it again. So possibly Carl's was the only one left when they got the Geiser. Not facts just my bad memory.

BrentB

Baldwins no longer own them, two of the Kudela designed trucks still exist, 66 and 86(which was 78). Jim's crash junked one chassis, (86). 66 is complete but in rough shape, only raced once after Jason passed.
86 is complete and was pepped and in race ready condition when we built the Gieser. Hope to get it down to Norra one of these years

Gieser/Baldwin TT#86 is now owned by Justin Summers #29. He bought it as a training tool/Prerunner so we had Patton detune it for pump gas, but plan changed and it is now his race TT. I raced it at Laughlin, we are racing Bluewater with it. Converting back to race gas motor some time next year.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Any pros and cons to the cantilever? Travel compared to trailing arms?

Bro_Gill

It's still trailing arms, just packaged differently. The cantilever set up can allow for a smaller shock package, but that has its own issues.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Any pros and cons to the cantilever? Travel compared to trailing arms?

Travel Numbers are the same. What I found interesting was when we were cycling our prerunner (the 6 month older sister to the General Tire TT #71) is that it will duck walk the rear end to both travel stops. Full bump on one side, and full droop on the other wayyy past the limit straps. Having uniballs on both ends of the lower link bars (i.e. trailing arms) lets the rear dance with zero bind.

Another benefit is the added weight behind the rear axle that doesn't change like a fuel load would. The large pivot arms that the coilover and bypass rock with also houses a huge sway bar to keep the truck stable.

Cons? It blows peoples minds because it's different ;) Haha. Its just another way to achieve the same end result and make a packaging nightmare at the back of the truck. Just gotta watch out when an over zealous racer wants to take your rear bumper off, there is important stuff hanging off the back.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
That single small coil is what keeps the truck at ride height?